Wiki Posts
Search

spintec I.C.C charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokerules
Any body willing to make a battery chart?
Something that would help ALL of us out?
Battery Type.
Cell count-(4 or 6)
Charger settings that work well.

I have a hard time figuring out what works, everybody's different I know!
I just was looking for a guide line to start with.

It's a little hard to keep these cells from venting, and false peaking(not finishing the complete charge in mAh.
Thanx for any help, this site is the BEST!
I learn something new every time I get on here!

My Spintec is working perfectly (no false peaks, no cells venting) with the following settings for IB 4200 4-cell:

Charge amps: 6.0
volt cut-off: 2.0 mv
max temp: 105 deg. F.
min teim: 98 deg. F.

I have ver 1.06
Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Am I correct in thinking that the lower the Delta Peak setting the more sensitive the charger will be to to batteries charge level.

In other words, if I lower the delta from it's current 3.0mv will the charger peak sooner?

My packs never peak at the minium temp (36 C) and seem to get pretty hot according to my temp gun.

Skiddins
Old 11-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have been using 1.5mv setting and still put over 5200 mah in IB 4200, what needs to be remembered is there is not as much resistance with the way the charger connects to the cells so it is possibly more accurate.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Thanx

Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench
My Spintec is working perfectly (no false peaks, no cells venting) with the following settings for IB 4200 4-cell:

Charge amps: 6.0
volt cut-off: 2.0 mv
max temp: 105 deg. F.
min teim: 98 deg. F.

I have ver 1.06
Hey thanx for the quick reply!
I am looking for 6 cell also if anyone else has anything that works well for them!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

If you guys are getting false peaks, it's probably because you're takeing the cells down too far (possibly on a tray) before you start charging. Could also be the contacts (clean solder connections).

Without going into all the little details, overdischarging the current cells creates extra water in the cell. This extra water tends to screw up the balance inside the cell.

One other thing to note with the Spintec charger is that it doesn't pull enough current to turn on some of the bigger switching power supplies. If your charger boots up fine and then starts flashing the display, put more load on the supply. Tire warmers worked for me.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Before charging a pack (4-cell), I discharge it at 30 amps to 4.00 volts (NO LOWER).

Then I tray the pack with a Novak Smart Tray SE -- I set the voltage cut-off to 1.0 volt per cell (NO LOWER !).

Then charge on the Spintec -- works great every time
Old 11-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Anybody know where Eric has been the last week or so ?? Haven't gotten a reply to my emails.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

It seems that no matter what temperature I set the charger to, it will only peak when the cells reach the 'peak temperature'

I have tried 3mv, 2mv and 4mv, and whatever the minium temp is, 35c I think. After comments about the inaccuracy of the temp probes I have tried maxiumum temps of 38, 39, 40, 42 etc and it always peaks at that temp. The actual temp appears to be about 10deg higher.

Why aren't they peaking 'during' the temp range I've set?

Should I try 5mv Delta peak, would this increase the chances of the pack peaking sooner or make things worse?

These are IB4200's and 4200 SHV's

Skiddins
Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

From what's happening here, I hope there is enuf software freedom to be able to let us calibrate the temp sensors. even a +X degrees simple offset calibration is going to be necessary, because the sensors are basically there, but not making sense.

Skiddins, do you mean the icc is always stopping because the temperature settings and not your peak detection settings?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Skiddins, my first two ICC's did the same thing. My units were from the first production batch. My new ICC (Second batch) is better so far, most cells peak before the temp cutoff (45C, 2mv/cell) whereas before with the same settings every cell would peak on max temp every time.

It's still coming off hotter than 45 degrees according to my temp probe though, but not as bad as before.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
From what's happening here, I hope there is enuf software freedom to be able to let us calibrate the temp sensors. even a +X degrees simple offset calibration is going to be necessary, because the sensors are basically there, but not making sense.

Skiddins, do you mean the icc is always stopping because the temperature settings and not your peak detection settings?
Yes, that's exactly what's happening, it has software ver 1.06

Skididns
Old 11-19-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

i havea dumass suggestion, set ur peak to 0mv. (i don't even understand how u can get 0mv peak detection) <-- how do you know a cell is finished charging if the voltage does not drop?

but set a ultra low peak, and like 45 degrees cut off on a "practice pack" and see what happens? i cannot do that... because i am working now... sigh... for another 8 months...
Old 11-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Has anyone let the smoke out using the motor run? It does not seem to be well protect against over amp draw. Ashame for a charger of this price. The more I use this charger the more problems it seems to get.

Now I need to send the paper weight in to have the external output fixed.

Has anyone sent one in from the USA for repair?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Has anyone let the smoke out using the motor run? It does not seem to be well protect against over amp draw. Ashame for a charger of this price. The more I use this charger the more problems it seems to get.

Now I need to send the paper weight in to have the external output fixed.

Has anyone sent one in from the USA for repair?
Got mine back a week ago from Horizon Hobby with the same problem. ICC smoked while using the motor run, KOS 27 was shorted. You are right there is no over amp protection on this charger. It took about two weeks turn around and charger was exchanged for a new one, no repaires were made. Next time you come to CEFX look me up.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Erik told me that they do have protection on the external output, but apprently it doesn't work, because the same happened when I borrowed a ICC to have a 'test run', I blew the external output. But it was replaced no questions asked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.