Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis >

First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis

First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis

Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis

Hey, i got a Tamiya BMW M3 Gt-2 ready to run kit as my first car, mainly for the body style. It has the TT-01-E chassis. I have driven it and gotten a good feel for it and am ready to start putting some upgrades into it. I would like to know what I should do to this car to make it faster. It comes with the stock R-540 motor and an ESC that can not be lower than 25 turns. Like should i upgrade to brushless? I was actually planning on getting ball bearings and an aluminum drive shaft. Please inform me of what to do to my car. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

First I'll say don't get to carried away upgrade the TT-01. Bearings are a must with these and the drive shaft is well worth it. If your just in it for a little bit of fun look at the Hobbywing Ezrun 13T brushless combo.

Originally Posted by sharksoldier117
Hey, i got a Tamiya BMW M3 Gt-2 ready to run kit as my first car, mainly for the body style. It has the TT-01-E chassis. I have driven it and gotten a good feel for it and am ready to start putting some upgrades into it. I would like to know what I should do to this car to make it faster. It comes with the stock R-540 motor and an ESC that can not be lower than 25 turns. Like should i upgrade to brushless? I was actually planning on getting ball bearings and an aluminum drive shaft. Please inform me of what to do to my car. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, i also would like to know what kind of chassis the majority of the people competitively racing use.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks, i also would like to know what kind of chassis the majority of the people competitively racing use.
That's a wide open question, I myself use the TRF417x and will never move away from Tamiya. But you have the Hot Bodies TCX, Schumacher Mi4CXL, Associated TC6.1, Xray T3, Serpent S411 and many more that cannot be overlooked as competitors.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bearing, upper carbon fiber deck, aluminum steering w/bearings, aluminum motor mount, upgraded hard pinion, aluminum shaft, hpi x-pattern belted tires, if they have it..better upgraded foam bumper.

And Tamiya Sport Tunes motor.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I wouldn't put the hobbywing 13T ezrun combo in the TT01. One of the guys at out club has and the motor is too much for the stock car. Without bearings it was horrible. With bearings it is better however I'd suggest sticking with the 540.

What you could look at is definitely bearings and the alloy drive shaft. Whilst these might not make you super fast like dropping in a 5T motor these will make a difference to reliability and slightly to speed.
After that have a look at upping the gear ratios just be careful with the temperature of the 540.

If your looking to race then these cars would be good for entry level however if you want to go to the faster motors etc and be more competitive than a different chassis platform would be a better investment. If you spent $120 on the TT01 you could buy a Sakura Zero S which is quite ok standard. you'll find the sakura mind bending for adjustments compared to the TT01.

Obviously you want something you can get parts and support for. so if your going to a track talk to the other drivers and see what they run.

If your just racing your mates or driving the car parks then keep the upgrades minimal to avoid breakages and put some money into tires and maybe even some fun tires like the drift tires. Sometimes slower sideways is more fun than fast straightline.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, since this is a first car i will do some upgrading to it, to learn more about it. I was also thinking about keeping the motor brushed and putting the 25 T GT tuned motor in with a nice set of shocks. For sure i will have to upgrade it to ball bearings and put in the aluminum drive shaft. Any feedback on these ideas?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Tech Regular

The sport tuned motor and gears with the bearings and alloy shaft would be a good reasonably priced upgrade.
My son races the TT01 in novice and the bearings and gears helped him reduce his lap times without being too much for the car.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think upgrading to a tamiya TT-01R type E spec would be your best bet. Don't get too hot over the aluminum after market bling bling parts(except the aluminum center shaft). They don't do much and usually will actually cause more trouble than performance gain. key focus should be set at taking slop out of the suspension and steering. The gear ratio is fixed for TT01 and gearing for a brushless would be difficult. full set of bearings is a must, and mini CVA dampers should be sufficient. but i think at the end, it is much more economical to just buy the TT-01R type E and leave it at that.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, Here is a photo of my TT-01ER with BMW GT2 body, Has upgraded shocks, bearings, aluminum motor mount and shaft, metal gears and
a 15T brushed motor and upgraded ESC. Just use it for club spec racing
as it is the only thing this chassis can do. Much faster and better handling
than the stock chassis. Enjoy yours and post some pics when finished
regards
Norman2
Attached Thumbnails First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis-bmw-m3-1.jpg   First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis-bmw-m3-5.jpg   First up grades on a TT-01-E chassis-bmw-m3-3.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok, so i bought an aluminum drive shaft, ball bearings, and metal motor mount. So i am thinking of going with the hobbywing 13T ezrun combo, but someone in a hobby shop told me to go with the 9T because it is faster for the same price. He also mentioned being able to tune down the motor through the ESC. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Some of then guys locally here couldn't find the 13T in stock so it may be that the 13T is a little higher priced due to demand.
You'd want to be a little wary with the amount of power you put through the the TT01. Yes you can run zero timing on the ESC and lower gearing to reduce the effect of the larger motor in terms of top end speed.
There is a TT01 running a 13T hobbywing at our club however they are running it tuned down as when turned right up the dog bones would vibrate so that you could hear them shaking. Bearings helped reduce the effect but I'm not entirely sure if it is completely gone. Could also be some worn parts in there.

Faster motors can mean faster time to things breaking or just generally wearing out. So if you did use the 9T then I would keep some spares handy and do regular preventative maintenance, like cleaning and oiling bearings, checking the drive line components for wear or cracks etc.

If your not racing it in an official class then motor choice is less important. If you wanted to race it then I would make sure the motor is legal for the class you want to run.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Again, sorry that i am new to this, but do you think that i will be able to tune down the 9T as much as the 13T? It comes with the exact same speed controller. Im just trying to future proof my purchase.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Put the 9T in it if that is what you can get then limit the amount of throttle using the expo function on the transmitter to limit top speed, or limit the amount of throttle in the esc. Either way will work.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

I got wayyyyy too carried away with mine, and now im trying to sell it lol. Its almost completely graphite and aluminum and set up for a full widebody kit to extend the wheelbase for stability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.