Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tc3 - still has life or old horse? What do you think? >

Tc3 - still has life or old horse? What do you think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tc3 - still has life or old horse? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by fjm9898
because the fact that it is 5 years old and the idea that in 5 years all they have been able to do the make changes is a few little things in a tc4 latter which you can easily do on the tc3.

True. Problem is, while the steering is improved, it still feels sloppy compared to other TCs.

whereas all these high end cars come out with new versons every 6 months,
Team Losi just released a new car, and its last TC was released nearly 4 years ago. XRAY's FK series touring car retained 95% of its parts from the FK04 -> FK05 transition, no different from the TC3->TC4. Tamiya's TRF and EVO cars only recieves minor revisions during it's every other year releases. What are you talking about?

its godly because it is perfection 5 years running and nothing really changed what else could be better
Since the car sells well and performs well, there isn't anything to compell Team AE to make a major revision. If the car is making money, they could care less.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yea i know they have minor changes but xray come out with new cars all the time and half the time their cars dont convert the changes between them but that is an 04 to 05 change which they always have to do, meaning the car does have problems compared to a 00 to 05 change of the tc3 to tc4. price and parts, you can almost go to any hobby shop and get tc3 parts but not the case with xray. dont get me wrong the xray is a nice car but belts are a pain. what i am waiting for it the pro4 05 spec then we will see where shafts sit compared to all you belt crazed people, they will soon be the under dog (well i am hoping)
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't understand why you are bashing belt cars so much. This really contradicts your statement earlier about others bashing the TC3. Have you ever own a belt drive car? I can tell you from my personal experience since I had a XXX-S and a TC3. Belt drive cars are easier to drive, and they carry speed in corners a lot better than shaft drives. Shaft drives are overall "quicker", although with the new belt cars such as the JRX-S and FK'05 coming out, that may no longer apply. Belt cars also seem to be much more suited for carpet racing as well.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

i must say the new losi is nice, i have drove it once but just really messing around, i just dont like belt because they go bad and for cars to use the belt the car has to be so complicated (in general just harder to work on) but ok i am coming down from my sugar high so ill shut up, but i am just looking for real reasons why people say the tc3 is so bad and to see who al are still using it and peoples stories of trying other cars and going back to the tc3
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The TC3 is a great car in general, it's just gotten old and stale. The TC4 seems to be an improvement in some areas, especially front end durability, but for some reason people are having trouble getting it fast on short carpet tracks.

I just sold mine .. you've even got some of the benefit of that. But I didn't do it because there is something wrong with the car, I did it because there are fancier toys to be had. I think it comes down more to having the latest greatest than anything else. Soviet on here pointed out that it seems like most people switch to a new car before they even have time to really understand and learn the first one. I think that's true. The faster guy is the one who knows his car so well in and out everything is dialed to it's utmost potential. But we're guys, we like new toys. The practical side of me is what kept me milking that car for so long, but you can only replace so many hub carriers before the grass starts to look greener in another's camp.

The unmodified TC3 has a lot of flaws. The modified one still has several, and after dealing with them for a year my pet peeves were ...

· Milled chassis is not nearly as stiff, unmodified chassis really isn't that stiff either.

· Front CVD's bend too easily when running a one-way, drive shaft cups will fracture "semi" easily.

· Every web and nook in the chassis stored debris. Carbon fibre doesn't do this as much.

· Plastic hinge pin mounts warp, oval, etc in a very short amount of time. Which is a PITA if you milled them down to lower your roll center..that means you get to do it again, and again, and again.

· The screw holes for the bearing saddle towards the front of the spur gear strip out easily, as do some of the other wear points like the front hubs, which leads to replacing with Losi parts ... which starts to make you think if the new Losi would be a nice change of pace.

..and I'm not saying each car is going to do this, mine just did, and I was cool with it for awhile, the car worked really well and was very good to me; it just got stale.

I like shaft drive for simplicity, I like carbon fibre for the stiffness and cool factor. I could have gone the BMI route, decided to buy a Pro4 instead. It's basically a semi refined TC3 rolling on carbon fibre. The front CVD's will still be a minor issue, but that's what steel ones are for.

The TC3 is still a very good car, especially at club level, especially where you race. But just by asking the question I think I see a TRF 415 in your future.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

I have been preparing winning TC3s for 5 years - since day 1.

In those 5 years they have won the National championship every single year, not necessarily always with the same driver.

This year I am running a TC4 for my son and it is actually quicker than the TC3, yet he dusted the cobwebs off the TC3 a couple of weeks ago and won easily with it again, so the TC3 is still very competitive.

The TC4 is a definate improvement, and a bigger bonus is the fact that parts seem lots cheaper. I have just prepared a package of graphite parts required to convert a TC3 to TC4, and it works out very attractive pricewise too. The car is brilliant, straight out of the box, and not temprimental, like some other brands.

It's a great car for beginners and experts alike.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Desolas, i to had the problem with the one and messing up cvds, all i did was get me some IRs big dawgs and problems solved, the tc3 siffness problem is true when its cut but once again IRS has a solution with their stiffening kit. i also have a BMI chassis tc3 and the car is great. and i can say i am looking at the 415 but that is because andrew cartwright, a team driver for taymia usa race at my track (his mom owns the track)

johnbull what does their tc3 to tc4 conversion all do and how much does it cost, i might wanna try it out

but being familiar with a car does alot too. i know a guy who has run it ever since it can out and he just got himself a pro4, he loves the car and it has improvments over the tc3 but i still see him pull out the tc3 all the time in fact i have only seen him run the pro4 once in the 2 months he has had it
Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

TC3 is the tried and true car. Its well designed, easy to work on, easy to upgrade, change and modify. Theres a reason why people still run the TC3 after so many years. Its a proven car, and can compete anywhere, anytime.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

I've raced a TC3 since they first came out.I think the car has it's problems,weak hinge pins,inconsistant rear toe and of course the steering rack.I also think it's very tunable.This past winter season I've only been able to race once a month.On the times when I raced, I've made the A main.I've out qualified younger drivers with X-rays and Tamiyas.Of course to do it, my TC3 is highly modified.I've milled the chassis so I can run three batteries on the left side and two on the right.I also run Niftech CVDs.I've got Acer ceramic bearings.I've driven an X-ray and I feel that my car transistions left to right as well as an Xray.However, the X-ray acclerated much better than my car.I 've recently purchased a JRXS.I like the idea of all of the tuning options it has. I'm not going to park my TC3 until the JRXS proves itself to me.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tc3 - still has life or old horse? What do you think?

Originally posted by fjm9898
personally i love the tc3, easy to work on and not a whole lot of gessing when it comes to set ups. just the chassis change and you pretty much have a tc4. i still think put a tc3 in a top drivers hands and i can still win over anything. this is what i think what do you think about the tc3? just give it up and get somthing else? this is all opions so give them and lets see what eveyone thinks
I think you're just trying to justify hanging onto your TC3...

Don't worry about what car is the latest and greatest...and don't care what any of us have to say about it....

If other people feel their car is superior to yours...big deal, it's YOUR car..not theirs...

That being said, i've never owned a TC3....I've seen them run at the tracks and seen them be VERY fast and handle well. I've also seen their drivers jump 2 laps when switching to Xray (multiple drivers have experienced this)

a lot of it also depends on the style of driving...my TC4 felt darty and felt like it would slash its way around the track...my Xrays seem to want to flow around the track more...

The hand fitting required on the TC3/4 makes it harder to prep a car to be fast...you can do it, it just takes more work and patience.

Also, don't worry too much about 'belts going bad'....you still have the risk of your gear mesh for your ringand pinion gears getting sloppy over time, additional bearings to worry about and the possibility of bending your center shaft on hard impact...

You complain specifically about 'Xray guys' cutting down other brands and then proceed to cut down other brands yourself?? I fail to see any point to this other than trying to start an argument....but why?

I totally tricked out a TC4...Ceramic bearings, IRS outdrives, carbide diff balls, Niftech drive pins, IRS aluminum input shafts and cups, Niftech Titanium center shaft, Ti screws and turnbuckles, factory blue motor mount, cam and clamp, IRS battery retainer, Full carbon kit (BMI chassis wasn't yet available when I sold it or i'd have had one on there)...all the aluminum toe blocks fornt and rear etc, etc, etc...and the car was DIALED...everyone was impressed with how fast I was running with it....I just didn't like working on the car though...just something about the overall design of the car made me uncomfortable wrenching on it (personal preference)

I sold the TC4 (and my 2nd TC4 which was almost as tricked out) and picke dup an FK05. (I previously had a T1, and a T1R upgraded to FK specs...and I missed the fit and finish). I blew away my personal best with my FK05 first night out with it...*shrugs*
Old 04-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I diddnt mean to sound in my post like the TC3 is the perfect car...but overall I think its very good. For the longest time, the TC3's in my club were consistently beating the XXX-S's, and the newer T-Specs. We run pretty much box stock, 4WD cars on an indoor carpet oval.

Ive had my share of problems with my TC3 (everyone has problems with their cars) but mostly its small stuff. The most consistent problems I face are breaking block carriers, brke a couple shocks, stripping out the outdrives, and having a tough time maintaining camber and toe settings. Then again, we run all stock components, and do alot of hard crashing so most of my issues could be avoided LOL.

Ive also burned up my share of Tamiya plugs (hence my switching over to Deans), broke the stock HiTec reciever and the stock LRP Runner burned up (literally smoke n flames).

Other than that stuff, and the several bodies ive gone through, the TC3 still keeps truckin; (knock on wood).
Old 04-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Any of today's cars can be competitive...

Some of the designs have been updated more regularly than others...mostof the time it's not due to necessity, but rather a company's market strategy...

Most of the problems peoplehave had with the TC4 is that people were treating it like their TC3, not realising that although superficially it looked similar, the entire suspension and weight distribution was different, requiring different setups...

One tip is to try to figure out genreically what is happening to your car, how the changes you make effect that and what the desired result is...understanding themechanics of suspension changes will help you translate your setup knowledge to other kits in the event you DO make a change in chassis at some point
Old 05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Yes the TC3 can be competitive. Its just that most drivers have been there and done that. The TC3 was the most successful TC of all time I think. These days "we" want a better car than the TC3. The new crop of touring cars are more anvanced and are manufactured with substantially higher quailty components.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Tech Regular

Default ....this is a great question....

.......ever since the "TC Shoot-out results" from that magazine were posted, used TC-3's were becoming availible for resonable prices( by either on-line or by word-of-mouth ). I had picked up about five used ones in the past three years ( good for spare parts/ & trading-non-the-less a smooth running race car ).....my opinion: they are good cars, especially for that newbie whom can't dish out the $400 for the latest kit....
Old 05-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Tc3 - still has life or old horse? What do you think?

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
I think you're just trying to justify hanging onto your TC3...

Don't worry about what car is the latest and greatest...and don't care what any of us have to say about it....

If other people feel their car is superior to yours...big deal, it's YOUR car..not theirs...
Exactly. If you like your car and feel like you can drive it well, why bother trying to get the latest or most expensive stuff? I don't see the point of getting a new TC if you are satisfied with yours.

I know it's going a bit of topic, but I have a T3, and I love it. Even with the T4 being out, I will never upgrade to it because I am very comfortable driving the T3 and it runs like a champ. I could care less about keeping up with the latest stuff, because I don't care about "keeping up with the Smiths and Jones".