Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to tell if the tire is done. >

How to tell if the tire is done.

How to tell if the tire is done.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Clean it. I did it the last time I was at WC. It helped traction a lot.
Sorry for being such a newbie but cleaning the tires with motor cleaner, brush clean or other?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

it can take quite a lot of effort to get that excess rubber off, but it just means the track your running has pretty good groove built up. if you keep up on washing your tires after runs it doesnt built up so bad. i left it on there for two weeks before i got it in my head to wipe it off lol. almost looked like the groove of death until i cleaned it.

Noticed that jaco blues actually last quite a long time. hope the rides im trying out are similar. then I want to try the Muchmore absolutes. everyone here likes sorex tires. they work great but i like to see whatelse there is too. mostly sorex/muchmore it seems.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know of a tire manufacturer that still makes 20 or 22 shore rated tires?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE GOOCH
This is a little off topic, but does anyone know of a tire manufacturer that still makes 20 or 22 shore rated tires?
Sorex
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you're constantly understeering/spinning out or overheating the tires, you might have to work a bit harder to clean the tires.

I noticed that there would be days that I'd have a really really bad run where the tires would pick up all the dirt and rubber on the track. There was so much gunk on my tires that it formed a hard thin film that normal cleaners can't take off. I actually had to use a kitchen scrub pad (what's the generic name for scotch brite?) with soapy water just to take it off.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Night
Sorry for being such a newbie but cleaning the tires with motor cleaner, brush clean or other?
Down here, to clean rubber tc tyres we either use brake cleaner or what I use, shellite, an Australian brand/term for Naphtha, camping fuel, lighter fluid etc. Wikipedia says it's called white gas in North America.

http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php...ggers_shellite
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Night
Motor spray is good enough. It also cleans the scuffs and tire marks off your body.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

I use this. The best so far...

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I noticed people use lighter fluid... Would Kingston charcoal fluid work? That's the closest thing I can find at my local store. Or does anyone else want to share some other cheap effective tire cleaning solution?

I am tired of using my precious expensive mtor cleaner for my tires...
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ninjlao
I noticed people use lighter fluid... Would Kingston charcoal fluid work? That's the closest thing I can find at my local store. Or does anyone else want to share some other cheap effective tire cleaning solution?

I am tired of using my precious expensive mtor cleaner for my tires...
I was using Zippo lighter fluid for awhile. The common ingredient in both as far as I know is Naphta. If that's in the charcoal fluid then I'd say go for it. Or else, Simplegreen works too.

And if you can't get them all, dishwashing soap and a rag would be the safest bet.