R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rack and pinion steering?

Why don't rc cars use rack and pinion type steering? I'm a layman but I think it could reduce space, simplify and reduce the number of components. The servo could directly drive the rack by putting a pinion on it. The awesomatix touring car already seems to have a well designed rack seen here: http://awesomatix.com/steeringsystem.html but the drivetrain would have to be belt-drive. Perhaps a belt on top but geared at the differentials like an SC10 4x4. This would allow centering of half height steering servo on the chassis. Basically center everything.
SC8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Take a look as well at the TC3 and TC4. I think the biggest problems with a rack and pinion would be enough throw from the rotation of the servo and durability. In all RC steering I have seen everything is a "captured" system, meaning when you hit something hard the worse that will happen is you might pop a ballcup off. With a rack you have the issue of jumping teeth, stripping teeth, dirt/grime building on the rack and causing it to stick, the list goes on.

I think it would actually be bigger to have to cover all these issue and not really any added benefit.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote