R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Charger comparison - which one?

Hi All

My first post so apologies if this in the wrong place.

I have a selection of NiMhs (2000-5000mAH) but may purchase LiPos in the near future.

Based in the UK, I'm looking for a charger with the following simple spec:
  • Mains (230V)
    NiMh, LiPo etc
    Discharger 1A min
    5A for NiMh
    Can cycle automatically

I've currently got a 'Ripmax Sigma EQ Mini AC/DC Charger' (it does the job), but I have an Ansmann Racing xBase 2.0 on loan (sorry can't post links yet). I've fallen in love with the display, ease of use and discharge/cycle features, and it charges NiMh at 6A!

Therefore I'm comparing the XBase 2.0 with a possible alternative (and significantly less expensive) Overlander RC-6s AC pro.

Any thoughts guys?

LeaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Your specs cover pretty much every AC/DC charger on the market. The Overlander looks more or less the same as any of the other generic 4-button chargers out there.

Although some of these generic chargers are relatively poor quality, they all seem to work. I would go for one with good support through your local model shop.

If you are happy with the Ansmann then get one, although I don't really see that it offers anything significant beyond your current Ripmax charger.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Hey Lea,

The Overlander charger is good, especially now it's only 39.99. I used to sell the same charger (in different packaging) for 59.99 a few years ago. Its pretty reliable and the Overlander are nice people to deal with incase you get any problems.

Damunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses and tips. In terms of comparing my Ripmax with the Ansmann I prefer the display layout, information presented, the 6A charge (Ripmax can only provide 3.2A at 7.2V NiMh) and the integral discharge - but it's way over budget....hence looking at the Overlander.

Totally agree with using my local supplier, he's brilliant, and will naturally ask if he can supply the Overlander or Ansmann at similar prices to on-line. I don't mind paying a little more as it's so much easier to return if things go wrong ;-) and of course local advice is priceless.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Bought the Ansmann x base 2 in the end, my local model shop beat modelsport :-) Very happy with it so far :-)