Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4WD Oval Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think we're gonna' have to rely on guys like ASM to answer that. Some of those folks have experimented with un-modified chassis. Part of the equation will definitely have to be a change in your expectations......a standard chassis is simply not going to handle like a custom oval chassis. I must say though; as an oval rookie it amazed me how complex oval really is.....small changes in driving technique on each lap can have huge effects on your track position. What a rush to see yourself close the gap on someone just because of one slight driving line change or throttle change. And it all happens at high speed.
Try driving your car without any changes first, see how it reacts and then make small adjustments to solve the problems you're "feeling" and seeing. I know I've basically stiffened things up a bit ( not as much as carpet) and I'm experimenting with different droop setting at each corner and even different tire compounds of TakeOff tires. I also believe the body makes a huge difference. I find most touring car bodies great on the straight and in "on throttle" portions of the turns but not so great once the throttle is backed off suddenly. Aerodynamic grip is much more consistant with an oval body. Try the McAllister Dodge Intrepid HS 190mm. www.mcallisterracing.com
Old 05-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im really interested in 4wd oval but dont know where to start for a set up. What is generally done?? Stiffer RF and LR spring? Bars...one way??
It all depends on where you race, what type of rules the track/club has, how big the track is, the configuraton, banking, etc.

My club runs on a flat carpet oval, and its a bullring. Meaning---its SHORT. You can flatfoot it all the way around but if you let off the gas on corner entry, your right back on it in a hurry. Its a real drivers' track that we built.

We made certain rules so the cars are as equal as we can get them. For example, we all have to run Stock Car bodies, or Nastrucks (no TC bodies) same motors, same tires, no matched batteries/3000mhz max, similar gearing. Stock suspension components, nothing graphite or titanium. We can run any spring we want and sway bars are optional.

So even though we all run basically the same stuff, we still have alot of setup options. (For example, I like to run a degree to a degree-and-a-half more camber in the RF than most other guys). We tried to make it so the cars are equal so you have to really hit your marks each lap and out-drive the other guys to win.

We all think its a blast and would love to race our cars "officially" but nobody around here does that. So we are all hoping that the popularity of 4WD oval down south makes it way here to the chicago area.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are looking for some summer racing AJ's in Dekalb has a Saturday night under the lights race. Usually he will run roadcourse and oval outside. It starts this Sat at 7pm with practice all day.

On the AJs outdoor oval I did test 4wd sedan and my tallest 64p gear... 51tooth. Holding it flat out around the track it took 9 seconds with a stock motor. It is a little scarry especially with a wind. Might be worth the trip if you are near by. If enough people show up with 4wd sedan oval he will run it as a class... usually 3 or more.

Before he converted from his tri-oval we used to just run stock sedan on that. Although there were no specific rules and the gearing was much milder.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:04 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

RaceFan3 at the gearing of 78/17 you should easily be able to hold that wide open. The problem is that most guys don't know where to actually gear the car....that's what makes the speed difference. To tell you the truth, it takes a long time to learn you go actually put that much on the car. Most guys gear close to an on-road set-up thinking it's fast enough. The gear secret has kept a lot guys off the pace at the previous Snowbirds. More and more are catching on though. I had got the gear in 2002 from Gary at Associated who actually ran the class too. At that time, he made me guard it with my life!!!

On the small snowbirds oval.....how about a 98/39 in 64P on the TC3......it'll make a HUGE difference. Give it a try, hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info Scott---i was about to ask what type of gear was used at the 'Birds. The problem at our track---is that its ALOT SMALLER than the track at the 'Birds.

Our track is in what used to be a classroom at a grade school if that tells you anything----its REAL old-fashioned door-slammin short track racing!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rcdougie
Im really interested in 4wd oval but dont know where to start for a set up. What is generally done?? Stiffer RF and LR spring? Bars...one way??
rcdougie, start with your basic on-road set-up first and then work from there. If the track is on the small side, a diff seems to work the best and be the most consistent. If you don't have to let off, a one-way hasn't proved to be of any advantage in that situation. If anything, it makes the car harder to drive. You may want to tighten up the front diff, that should help out. Sway bars is not something I run on my car but I have seen some guys use them. If you're carpet racing, sooner or later you'll end up stiffening the RF. Of course, tire compounds come into play on carpet as well and plaids and purples is a good starting point.

Getting the car stable and easy to drive through traffic is a very big help in this class. If it's fast but on the ragged edge, you'll never make it through 4 minutes....LOL
Old 05-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Getting the car stable and easy to drive through traffic is a very big help in this class. If it's fast but on the ragged edge, you'll never make it through 4 minutes....LOL
Now aint THAT the truth?!?! It was pretty much because of that fact that we abandoned timing our races and just doing 5 lap dashes, 10 lap heats, and 15-20 lap feature events. That way, we end up running probably a dozen features during the day. Plus, having a set amount of laps versus a timer makes you really concentrate on driving, and hitting your marks every lap, just like real stock car racing.

But like you said about driving through traffic----these cars on the oval can be kinda dangerous if they arent stable. Every guy in our club has gone through many, many bodies and parts! We've had some wrecks for the ages thats for sure!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I'm from tulsa,ok we run latemodel 19t oval on dirt it's a blast real popular here at least 2-3 heats.Tc3 hookm up nice on the dirt.

Steve eaves
Old 05-05-2005, 07:17 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by steve eaves
I'm from tulsa,ok we run latemodel 19t oval on dirt it's a blast real popular here at least 2-3 heats.Tc3 hookm up nice on the dirt.

Steve eaves
My very first taste of racing was a Grasshopper on a clay oval and it's quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever run.

Late models on dirt......SWEET!!!!!!

Hey RaceFan3, glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering through the bashing in this class...LOL! Sounds like you guys came up with great way to run the races.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Man its a blast i run green springs frt and rear 6 degree losi caster blocks,25wt oil frt and rear raise the ride height and get it on
Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey RaceFan3, glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering through the bashing in this class...LOL! Sounds like you guys came up with great way to run the races.
Yea, we pretty much have to do it by laps instead of the clock. Besides, we pretty much have a 6-car limit for the features. The track is not big enough for any more cars than that without total chaos! We tried an 8 car feature once, and it was ridiculous. I dont thing we put 2 consecutive laps together all race! If we have more than 6 cars, then you have to race your way into the feature. We have a pretty good system for the races and a strict set of rules for the cars (which everyone gripes about from time to time so we are flexible).

But yea, 4WD oval rocks. Its alot of fun