Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anti-roll bar/swaybar "physics" question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default Anti-roll bar/swaybar "physics" question

Sorry to post this little query as a whole thread, but here goes...

What effect does does the mounting position of an anti-roll bar (in English English) or swaybar (in American English) on the suspension wishbone have?

My schoolboy physics suggests that the further out on the arm the bar is attached, the stiffer it effectively becomes (more leverage).

Am I right? Or do the bars become stiffer the further inboard their wishbone mounting point is?

Or does it make no difference, because of the symmetry from side to side?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

I think you have it right. The driving force would be how much the swaybar moves. The further out it is on the arm the more it will move with the suspension compression.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

I think this is going to be something new for tuning. If companys made the place were ther swaybar is attached, they made more holes inside and out side there would be no need for diffrent ones, just one long one
Old 08-16-2002, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The farther out on the A-arm the sway bar is mounted the more effective it becomes if it is of the same length. The problem is to mount it farther out you really end up with a longer swaybar if your connecting links remain vertical. If the sway bar is longer it becomes weaker (less stiff). The effects won't exactly cancell each other. On fullsize race cars normally the position of the link on the A-arm is fixed. The sway bar stiffness is then adjusted by using a thicker bar (stiffer) or using shorter arms on the swaybar for a minor adjustment (stiffer)
Old 08-16-2002, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

um ... longer = softer or longer = stiffer ( i think it depends on how u look at it ..... cause on cars expecially rollbars softer = harder and harder = softer )
softer the rollbar the harder the spring on the other side becomes and vice verse

say for a simple example if at 20N on the wheel pushing up the springs it compress 2mm together with the rollbars
raising the opposite side by 1mm with a 180mm roll bar
this makes the force on the wheel = larger
and it makes the car softer

the shorter roll bar will stiffen it up cause it has shorter lenght to flex
say the same amount of force 20N is applied on the wheels the suspension will also compress by 2mm BUT on a 100mm rollbar with the same stiffness the other side will compress more then 1 mm

this is just examples ... so u can see the effects ...
and varies on each on every account of circumstances depending on soo many other dynamics