Wiki Posts
Search

Body Shell Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by MADLUX
I'll but in here for a few seconds, I race in the Tidewater area of Virginia myself, and by the way soviet talks and word choice he uses, sounds like one of the local area trouble makers and hackers.

You obviously don't know me. Re-read what I said.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Body Shell Shootout

Originally posted by Soviet
It's all in your head. You're not going to really feel much difference between ANY modern sedan body that is IFMAR/ROAR approved.

They all have basically the same hoodline, roofline, wing and such.

My first post...notice I said much...not any.

I never said there wasn't ANY difference, I simply said that the difference between bodies is small, and it is.

Choosing a bad tire compound can have a much more profound effect on a car than the difference between say a Stratus 2 and 3.

Last edited by Soviet; 04-25-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Hmm myself...

Currently I am running a Stratus 3.0, before that I ran a blitz alfa, before that a proto CTS, before that an HPI stratus 1.0 ...

I can't tell, or take advantage of the differing characteristics of the bodies yet, I'll just settle for the most durable ...

I am resisting the mazda 6, because its all I ever see... next mebbe I'll try a parma alfa, or a nemesis, something different is really all that matters to me for now. When i can tell the difference perhaps I will stick to one style.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I also disagree with the impression that Soviet made ... that all bodies are the same - however, after clearifying his statement by stating that for a beginner - there is little difference (not enough to notice), I agree.

However, with a qualified and experienced driver, a body can mean an improvement of a few tenths which could mean a victory over a defeat.

Personally, I have had the best luck with the Mazda 6 - however, will be trying the Stratus 3.0 next (as soon as my current Blitz Status "wears-out").

Should too-much emphasis be placed on a body ... no, however, can it be a valuable tuning option ... yes - only after you have the chassis settled.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by duckman996
I also disagree with the impression that Soviet made ... that all bodies are the same - however, after clearifying his statement by stating that for a beginner - there is little difference (not enough to notice), I agree.

However, with a qualified and experienced driver, a body can mean an improvement of a few tenths which could mean a victory over a defeat.

Personally, I have had the best luck with the Mazda 6 - however, will be trying the Stratus 3.0 next (as soon as my current Blitz Status "wears-out").

Should too-much emphasis be placed on a body ... no, however, can it be a valuable tuning option ... yes - only after you have the chassis settled.
BOOM!!! You nailed it.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Good post Duckman

I'm racing people of very comperable skill level. The difference between 5th in the A and BQ gets down to 5-6 seconds at some points. I'm hanging about low-mid pack A main in qualifying and usually finish about 4th or 5th. These guys have much better equipment than I do so I'm just trying to "get 'em where they aint" and get some super-dialed stuff going. Hopefully I can make up for my lack of motor or battery by setup & driving. I've been pretty much going on driving alone and now I'm doing some serious setup work so I can "step-up" and hopefully break into the top-3.

-Dan
Old 04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by BlackKat
Good post Duckman

I'm racing people of very comperable skill level. The difference between 5th in the A and BQ gets down to 5-6 seconds at some points. I'm hanging about low-mid pack A main in qualifying and usually finish about 4th or 5th. These guys have much better equipment than I do so I'm just trying to "get 'em where they aint" and get some super-dialed stuff going. Hopefully I can make up for my lack of motor or battery by setup & driving. I've been pretty much going on driving alone and now I'm doing some serious setup work so I can "step-up" and hopefully break into the top-3.

-Dan
Good luck Dan, Practice is where it's at.

I drive an hour both ways twice a week to practice @ Debbies.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Stratus 3.0 works real good when it comes into contact with the side of a Mazda! +) flip...flip...flip....

Ohh one body I'd like to try is the HPI A4 wagon, not sure if its available in NA.. I don't think so..
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

There is a difference between the bodies for sure... i race 1/10gas and the difference measured on a 75metre straight between a Frewer Stratus and a Frewer Astra was 7kph!!!!!! how can you say that is no difference. The astra was beta on the tight stuff but slower down the straight

Mike
Old 04-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by MartynD
Stratus 3.0 works real good when it comes into contact with the side of a Mazda! +) flip...flip...flip....

I had to ask............was that my mazda you were refering to?

Kevin Kireluk
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Toodeep
I had to ask............was that my mazda you were refering to?

Kevin Kireluk
I see that you too fell victim to the hackfest .... haha.

I think he was refering to mine ...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Tech Initiate

I see that you too fell victim to the hackfest .... haha.

I think he was refering to mine ...
LMOA....................OK, I remember now!!! Thats when he took you out in the 1st heat at the Fastcats trophy race.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

ixlr8nz results seems to make sense concerning the topic. The Stratus is more streamlined than the Asta. Has anyone created any type of test scenario for calculating drag on different bodies made by different manufacturers? I have seen other topics on the web where individuals have built homemade wind tunnels. Would be interesting to see someone put a r/c body through the same tests?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by jw92656
ixlr8nz results seems to make sense concerning the topic. The Stratus is more streamlined than the Asta. Has anyone created any type of test scenario for calculating drag on different bodies made by different manufacturers? I have seen other topics on the web where individuals have built homemade wind tunnels. Would be interesting to see someone put a r/c body through the same tests?
R/C world did a test about 2 Years ago with a wind tunnel and about 10 bodies... I still have the mag around somewhere .... they tested drag... front downforce rear downforce ..and something else I can't remeber off the top of my head...... but it was about 3~4 page article
-Dave
Old 04-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Toodeep
LMOA....................OK, I remember now!!! Thats when he took you out in the 1st heat at the Fastcats trophy race.
Yup ... Martyn can proudly say that he has retired me from stock motor racing forever. Only Mod for me now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.