R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Radio setting for TC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/702226-radio-setting-tc.html)

JustWill75 02-05-2013 07:51 AM

Radio setting for TC

I was talking to one of the Local Fast guys in my area about my radio setting on my Futaba 4PL. I pesonally turn my steering speed and Dual rates down on my transmiter to settle my car down he said you shouldnt have to do that and he drives his stuff maxed out.

I'm curious, do all the best drivers around race with 100% dual rate and steering speed?

sosidge 02-05-2013 08:14 AM

You should leave the steering speed at 100% and train your hand to move more slowly if you need smoother steering.

Dual-rate is a useful tool for dialling your car into the track and conditions, just a small adjustment during the race can turn a car that is oversteering or understeering into one that is well balanced. You should only need a small amount of dual-rate change though, if you need a lot to make the car driveable then you need to look at the setup or your driving style.

More important than both of these is making sure that the steering end-points are done correctly (full lock, no more, no less on each side at 100% D/R), and that your steering is trimmed to make the car run dead straight.

jlfx car audio 02-05-2013 08:31 AM

The past yrs I have turned down my steering servo speed and my duel rates so I could make about a 5' circle. This reason with a new radio (mt-4) I've been running full speed but with a little neg expo to make it less sensitive on the faster areas. My car is set up for 100% DR but if traction comes up unexpectly I'll back it down just enough to keep it from traction rolling . Now in vta I still use slower servo speeds by just a little to keep wheels from scrubbing as bad (helping with tire ware) . The faster the car the faster ur steering speed needs to be is my thinking.
Tho if u can learn to drive ur car with 100% Dr, 100% speed, no expo it will make u a better driver eventually as u get faster

B00t13g 02-05-2013 12:35 PM

I run -8% expo on my radio to calm it down a touch. I do this with sedan, f1, buggy etc.

samnelso 02-05-2013 01:05 PM

Personally, I turn my dual rate down to match the track and try to setup my car to enable as low of dual rate as possible. I don't seem to have the resolution in my hands to accommodate 100% dual rate if the track doesn't demand it so I try to keep it low so I can maximize the steering wheel throw I use. Keep in mind though that I'm far from a top driver.

valk 02-05-2013 01:15 PM

I set end points on my m12 and run 100% all settings with exception of mod on small track. I set my lever for negative throttle expo if the hp is too much. Full steering always.

Lessen 02-05-2013 01:34 PM

When I first started racing I used the steering wheel speed adjustment to help smooth out my driving because I had a bad habit of letting the wheel go. I would not recommend using this feature continuously. It was a band-aid at the time and helped me get around the track, but once I began to kick the bad habit I got rid of it.

As mentioned above, you typically want your EPA to be maximum physical steering throw and that the steering angle both directions are equal. Also it's important to note that the length of your tie rods should always be equal both sides. If you find they get out of whack you want to adjust them to the same length and readjust toe to be symmetrical by tuning the track rod length.

Now as far as D/R and Expo go.. I've recently begun to have a better understanding of when to make these changes. When I first started racing I used -20% expo all the time. Now I find it just depends on the situation. I guess maybe it's just based on your preference of where you want your steering to be sensitive. For me, it just depends on how my car is getting around the track and how much control I have to stay on the line I want to run. If I'm comfortable with entry but my car is too sensitive in the middle, I'll take some neg. expo out. If the steering is too responsive at the limit and feeling numb in the middle I'll add neg. expo. Of course this is all relative to any D/R changes you may make, which is largely determined by the cars handling characteristics.

Anyways, to answer your question... Even considering that pro level drivers are talented enough to use 100% D/R all the time, I'm not sure there's any advantage to it....(well, making the pass would certainly be an advantage). Keep in mind that cranking up D/R to get a tight car to turn is just a band-aid. Fast cars require less steering.