Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on novak club spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Opinions on novak club spec

Lol im hoping this isnt going to start a war between people who swear by a certain company im just hoping for a little input to bring me back up to speed ive been out of the hobby for right around 2 yrs and want to get back into racing

Im in the process of building a touring car to run in the stock 17.5 blinky class
My question is about the motor and speed controll. Im leaning tward the novak Club spec. But ive been reading that novak isnt what they use to be? Is there a better option in the same price range? Or am I safe going with novak???

The reason im leaning to novak is
Im really not a fan of needing a computer interface To adjust my setup, novak has been a respectable name in rc, and their customer support is great. (from what i remember)
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Haha yes Novak isn't what they used to be, you'd be better off going for LRP, hobbywing, speed passion and Orion if you don't like the idea of a laptop being necessary at all times to change settings. The hobbywing, Orion and speed passion all use a LCD programming box and LRP uses the LED blinking to set. Ask around your local track and see what everyone else is running so you have help with setting it up and if you have any problems or issues on a race day,someone will be able to help you.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The hobbywing just stock speedo would be a great alternative.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you're running blinky sedan, it doesn't matter which esc, as long as it works
And yes, Novak still do have great support
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Novak esc's are much more simple than the other brands, and they are as fast too. I would prefer the gtb2 with Xdrive though... I run One in 17.5 blinky with all the settings on max punch with an untouched ballistic, and have no problem passing tekins, and the rest of them.... My driving is not up there yet, and that's really what needs polishing. Also , no heat at all after 6Minutes qualifiers, while others have been burning motors... I also have expo and acceleration up on my radio, higher than normal, and still no heat, even with much higher gearing than the other brands: I run 3.65fdr while others are running 4.1fdr with their lighter cars... I also like that I can go down to a 3.5t with the gtb2 without touching the esc. Lastly, nobody dares to accuse me of cheating ever, while others have almost been dragged to court over it....lol...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The NOVAK Club Spec is offering only two motor combos at this time I believe. The 17.5 "STOCK" motor and the 25.5 (Used for US VTA racing) combo. Both in the SS Pro (Non Ballistic) type motor combo.

Priced at about $120.00 U.S. makes it a pretty good deal.

The SS Motors are pretty tough, and in the club combo they come pre-wired, just plug in and go - no need to solder.

TEAM NOVAK has been a great supporter of "Club" type racing for many years, including our small long running SWT Oval Series, and I applaud them for marketing this entry priced combo.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Anyone using this combo? Great price Thoughts?
I was thinking of using it for both my on-road and off-road cars.
Okay to race with this combo?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Personally I love Novak. Have used them for years and years with no problems, ever since my first esc which was a 410-M5.

I do not have any experience with the club spec though, but the VTA car I am going to build will be running one.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've used plenty of Novak stuff, past and present. The Club Combo looks to be a nice package at a nice price. I bet it works great. If it hits your price point and gets you on the track, I reckon you are well served. In the unlikely event you have an issue, Novak Customer Service is known to be solid.

Look at any ESC thread on here and you'll read plenty of complaints about the brand in question. Within the past year, if you read the LRP threads, it was pitchforks and torches all the way. Now, LRP is apparently the gold standard of reliability. Every brand gets its dose of rants and raves.

(And btw, I'm loving the SXX Comp in my 1/12th scale. I'm not bashing LRP to pump up Novak.)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liteumup387
Lol im hoping this isnt going to start a war between people who swear by a certain company im just hoping for a little input to bring me back up to speed ive been out of the hobby for right around 2 yrs and want to get back into racing

Im in the process of building a touring car to run in the stock 17.5 blinky class
My question is about the motor and speed controll. Im leaning tward the novak Club spec. But ive been reading that novak isnt what they use to be? Is there a better option in the same price range? Or am I safe going with novak???

The reason im leaning to novak is
Im really not a fan of needing a computer interface To adjust my setup, novak has been a respectable name in rc, and their customer support is great. (from what i remember)

if your thinking novak and want to save a little get the edge over the club spec. the on resistance .00054 (power loss) is half of the club .00110 and close to the GTB2 .00040 and one of the locals just took my $220 tekin RS pro out of his 2012 xray in 17.5 and turned identical laps so for less then $97 off the novak site. the club is like $80 so $17 more and you get a speedo that will hang with a $220 speedo
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've always run Novak. I still have a 410hc and cyclone that work. If I were you I'd get a Havoc Pro SC with X Drive and the motor. I run this in both my WGT and my SC10
2wd. Service is great as it has always been. You don't need a computer or a box. It's all done with lights.Plus it's made in the USA! If it's not Orange it does not go into my r/c cars/trucks period.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Computer=$700 ,
Tekin esc=$210 ,
hotwire=$35,
Beating all the above with my Novak=priceless !!!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Computer=$700 ,
Tekin esc=$210 ,
hotwire=$35,
Beating all the above with my Novak=priceless !!!
Tekin RS. who doesn't own a computer?(We are having this discussion on line after all,) Free Software updates, small size, light weight, NEVER having been pulled by ANYTHING orange EVER in my 12th blinky car...... worth every damn penny.

Orange is for VTA.

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 06-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know how to make the 17.5 club spec motor faster.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I need some help does anyone happen to know how to make the club spec 17.5 motors faster for oval.