Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree1121Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by miles514
Im using the tamiya 6mm wheel hex which is the thickest I can have, And I can shim them to exact tolerance.
The standard hexes with the disc brakes are 7mm.
I'm using them with a 1mm wheel spacer (wich is the absolute maximum to use, otherwise the thread on the wheel axle is to short) to get the maximum width out of the car.
Also make sure you add some shims between the ball bearing and the pin that goes through the wheel axle, i thought i added up to 0.7mm shims between it and still have enough play to rotate the wheels as free as possible.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

3 racing have a set of 7mm clamp type wheel hex's that are lightweight. I use these with 1 .5mm spacers on the front and 1mm spacers on the rear.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice camocrouch. I've decided to go for RC drifting. I only have the basic TT02 so what would I need to convert it to a drifter? Sorry if this has already been mentioned. It's a long thread!

Also, how short is the TT01 upper deck? I work in the composite industry so if I had the sizes I should be able to make one.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Has anyone tried and been successful in fitting the following to a TT-02?
• TB03 C Parts (Front Upright) # 51352
• TA05-IFS F Parts - H Carrier # 51293
• TA05-IFS D Parts Reversible Suspension Arms (Long) # 51297
or would we need to wait until the following new parts are available?
# 9804837 Sus Shaft Adapter
# 9804838 Sus Shaft Adapter
# 3450618 Front Sus Plate
# 3450619 Rear Sus Plate
# 4305646 Front Damper Stay
# 4305647 Rear Damper Stay
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

maybe you should wait for the TT-02S...
Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjim85
Thanks for the advice camocrouch. I've decided to go for RC drifting. I only have the basic TT02 so what would I need to convert it to a drifter? Sorry if this has already been mentioned. It's a long thread!

Also, how short is the TT01 upper deck? I work in the composite industry so if I had the sizes I should be able to make one.

Cheers
No worries Jim.

I seup a TT-02 for drifting initially. If you already have the basic TT-02 what you need to first decide is how far you want to take it.
What I mean by this is you can spend what you paid on it in upgrades to make it drift better, but still be left with a chassis that does provide some basic limitations.
If that's what you enjoy then awesome - Go for it!

On the other hand you could invest in a few basic upgrades and get the hang of it / make sure you're into it, then upgrade the chassis to something more drift suitable (i've just finished an XV-01 which is a front motor belt driven chassis and even in stock form it seems to be a way better drifter than the TT-02 could ever be).

Basic upgrades i'd suggest trying are bearings, oil shocks, locked rear diff (or just jam blue-tac or something in the rear diff), suitable hard plastic tyres and a smaller pinion gear (perhaps 19 or 20 tooth) (if your kit came with the stock 22 tooth one) to give you a little more low down punch to start the slide.
Maybe a front one-way too just to see if that suits your driving style and a Tamiya 'black can' sport tuned motor for a little extra oompf without needing to change from the stock ESC.

Hopefully that shouldn't set you back too much (try the Broadtech website) and give you a decent setup to try out drifting.

From there, if you really want to get max performance, you can go all out on high angle steering systems, adjustable camber front and rear, toe-in rear uprights, counter steer gearing, motors, ESC's and a whole host of alloy bling.

I don't suppose you're in Australia are you? I have one for sale on eBay...

Anyway just go with what you'll enjoy and please feel free to ask questions.

The TT-01 top brace was about 5-10mm too short for the TT-02.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Crouch,

I think I saw your one for sale. Looks stunning. Pity I don’t live down under! Is the Eagle Racing suspension and upright set part number TT02-14-PL and does it fit the standard damper stays? Are there any other parts needed to fit this set to the standard TT02?

Is Broad Tech the only place to order from or does anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK for Eagle Racing products?

If it is yours that I saw, could I ask what the width is from outside to outside of the clamp type wheel hubs and what thickness of hubs did you use? 6mm? It’s just that we run a 24mm control rim and tyre which results in a very narrow track width, so any extra width would be good.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

gonna be racing mine with a sp 17.5 powered by TBLE-02s esc on a TT-01 55t spur gear and a 29t 0.6 pinion this weekend. Fingers crossed...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-img_3593.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-img_3591.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-img_3590.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-img_3588.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone.

My TT-02 won't drive straight after a left curve. So I'm trying to solve this by removing any slop or play + making sure that every piece of the steering moves freely.

First I noticed my Hitech 5646WP servo was unable to zero reposition after going to the maximum left or right... Not sure if it's due to the servo, cause I checked the whole steering system and nothing seems to cause much friction or oppose force to the servo..! Any idea? Any good servo to recommand? (I took this Hitech because it's waterproof, and I rally sometimes)

Second I notice some play (~1mm) between the Hop-Up Low Friction Suspension Ball and the front upper arm they are clipped in!!! Does anybody have the same? How do I reduce it? I have the kit upper arms, should I change them? Does it make sens to put camber to the front wheels?

Plus I'd like to shim the differentials, what shims do I need?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by atg849
Hi Crouch,

I think I saw your one for sale. Looks stunning. Pity I don’t live down under! Is the Eagle Racing suspension and upright set part number TT02-14-PL and does it fit the standard damper stays? Are there any other parts needed to fit this set to the standard TT02?

Is Broad Tech the only place to order from or does anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK for Eagle Racing products?

If it is yours that I saw, could I ask what the width is from outside to outside of the clamp type wheel hubs and what thickness of hubs did you use? 6mm? It’s just that we run a 24mm control rim and tyre which results in a very narrow track width, so any extra width would be good.

Thanks
Cheers - if you're happy to pay postage let me know!

Yep, that's the correct part number and I don't think you need anything else for it to fit.
I haven't seen it available anywhere else and the purchase experience / price from broadtech is very good (just not the after sales service).

I can't check the width right now but the hubs are the ones that came with the eagle kit.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CapTob
Hi everyone.

My TT-02 won't drive straight after a left curve. So I'm trying to solve this by removing any slop or play + making sure that every piece of the steering moves freely.

First I noticed my Hitech 5646WP servo was unable to zero reposition after going to the maximum left or right... Not sure if it's due to the servo, cause I checked the whole steering system and nothing seems to cause much friction or oppose force to the servo..! Any idea? Any good servo to recommand? (I took this Hitech because it's waterproof, and I rally sometimes)

Second I notice some play (~1mm) between the Hop-Up Low Friction Suspension Ball and the front upper arm they are clipped in!!! Does anybody have the same? How do I reduce it? I have the kit upper arms, should I change them? Does it make sens to put camber to the front wheels?

Plus I'd like to shim the differentials, what shims do I need?

Thank you in advance.
I experienced the steering not returning to centre and ended up figuring out that I'd tightened a screw too tight - the one that goes into the top of the upright.
I'd loosen every screw not just in the steering but all the ones in the suspension area as well and see if the problem remains. If it disappears just re tighten one by one, checking the steering after each one.

The TT's always have a lot of play in multiple areas. I think it's to be expected from an entry level kit more focused on durability than tuneability.

A little front camber might give you extra grip when cornering in rally.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 11-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

or it might be your servo saver not centering well. I recomend using a kimbrough med size servo saver.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

... I don't use a servo saver... I removed the Tamiya tt-02 kit one after noticing it was crap...

Thanx Crouch, I'll just untighten everything and test. I will find the bugger!

Where and how do I shim the diffs?
Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-img_3594.jpg  

Last edited by miles514; 11-12-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CapTob
... I don't use a servo saver... I removed the Tamiya tt-02 kit one after noticing it was crap...

Thanx Crouch, I'll just untighten everything and test. I will find the bugger!

Where and how do I shim the diffs?
What are you using then? Just a standard servo arm?

As mentioned a few times in this thread, I also used the Kimbrough Medium servo saver and it solved all my steering issues which I had issues for over 6months! Bare in mind, the tt02 was my first ever RC so I was quite blind to a lot of the comments in this forum..

But yes as noted before - don't over tighten the screws as noted in the manual.

Check Qatmix's guide on the tt02 on thercracer.com on how to shim the diff.

I was hoping my tt02 would be quieter from it but there was no difference.. (currently using a 22T AV pinion)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.