Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1124Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just about done. Wish I had a second go with the trim, but I did get better the more I did. With that said I think it looks pretty good.

I still have not run it yet, waiting on a couple more parts and I am seriously thinking of getting a new radio but it is pretty much good to go.

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-img_3735.jpg  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LJH
Just about done. Wish I had a second go with the trim, but I did get better the more I did. With that said I think it looks pretty good.

I still have not run it yet, waiting on a couple more parts and I am seriously thinking of getting a new radio but it is pretty much good to go.

Cheers,
Jim
Very nice. I love the Brumos paint scheme. So iconic. I painted one similar one on an HPI Porshe body once and plan to do so again one day. This body was on my tt-01.

Last edited by microed; 05-16-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by microed
Very nice. I love the Brumos paint scheme. So iconic. I painted one similar one on an HPI Porshe body once and plan to do so again one day. This body was on my tt-01.

Sweet......

Yea, I have always been a fan of Brumos and especially Hurley Haywood. He is by far my favorite American driver of all times.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 AM
LJH
Tech Master

She runs....Last night I hooked it up using my old AM radio and got everything set up. I had bought a Spectrum S6070 servo used knowing it had a click.....but the price was right even knowing the fact that I might have to buy a new gear set. Before I ordered a new gear set I took the servo apart and some of the gears did show some wear so I rotated the gears and put it back together and BOOM....no more click :-) and no play in the gearset.

Last night I put an older, though healthy, 2S 4000mah 30C pack on the charger and before work this morning I ran her for the first time. I have not received my Yeah Racing motor mount or gear set yet so still on the stock 8.27:1 FDR and she is a bit...ummm...lacking in speed (maybe 15MPH?), hoping that dropping the FDR to 4.35 will help a lot in the speed department. With that said I ran her up and down the street for 12 minutes and the motor/ESC were pretty much ambient temperature so it is under geared for sure, I have not charged the battery to see how many Mah were used. With that said she has plenty of punch off the line and I was able to induce throttle oversteer coming out of turns but it was very controllable.

Here is what I used in my build:
-TT02 Chassis shimmed to remove the slop but the arms still flop ;-). Built to high ground clearance spec.
-Full Bearings
-Yeah Racing 2* rear hubs
-Tamiya CVA Super Mini Shocks with yellow rear springs and stock silver friction shock front springs (Thinking the fronts may be too stiff). 40wt oil with the two hole piston all around.
-Spectrum S6070 Servo
-Novak Havoc Sport 17.5T System
-Front Diff Filled with 500K grease-shimmed
-Rear Diff with some Tamiya AW grease-Shimmed
-Kimbrough 201 servo saver

I am still waiting on the Yeah Racing motor mount, Speed tuned Gear Set, 64P spur and pinion for a 4.35:1 FDR, Adjustable front tie rod set all of which should be here any day. The stock steering rack has a serious amount of play so I may switch that out. I am also thinking of ordering some different wheels so that I do not ding the Fuch's up. If I did my math correctly the the stock wheels are either a 2 or 3MM offset so the fronts are easy but being a staggered setup with wider wheels on the back (31MM) I believe I would need a 26MM wheel with a 9MM offset so that the wheels fill out the rear fenders. For tires I am thinking of using the Gravity USGT tires, which are cheap and seem to get good reviews for use on tarmac. I also have a set of wheels with the HPI rally tires mounted if I decide to get off the tarmac.

I know the TT02 is not the most technically advanced chassis but I really had fun with the build and it should serve its purpose well for me being that it is fairly durable. Parts are easy to get, and that I could build it with a higher then normal ride height for use on less then perfect surfaces. I also love how the body came out.....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Getting my TT02R ready for TCS racing. With the plastic shocks, what weight oil would you recommend?

It is outdoor asphalt, medium traction, and high temperature.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Hello All,
On Friday I received my High Speed Gear Set, motor mount, tie rods, pinion and spur. I quickly found out that a 74T spir and 44T pinon will not work as there is not enough adjustment for meshing the gears (too small). I ordered another spur and pinion (81T & 51T) and low and behold it showed up today. At lunch I installed the spur and kept the 44T pinion in it for the time being which gets me a FDR of 4.79:1.

I also ordered new wheels and tires which also arrived today. I went with the HPI Gram Lights 57S's, Not my first choice as they are a little JDM looking to me but I found them cheap and in the correct offsets all from one vendor. I went with a 3MM offset for the front and 9MM for the back to offer a staggered look but all being the same width. I mounted a set of Gravity (Ride) USGT tires on them. They fit pretty darn well.....

It is raining here at the moment but I just could not resist seeing how she does with the new gearing....What a difference....I only did two runs up and down the road in front of the house but this is much more like it, not sure why Tamiya insists on offering such short gearing on so many of their cars. I will put a couple batteries through it with this gearing to check on motor temps and I hope to move to the larger pinion which should help a bit more.

Looking forward to playing with it now that she is up to speed ;-)

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

On Sunday, I used the TT02-S in USGT with the Porsche 911 GT3 body. This was a scale race where we had 1 qualifier, and 3 mains.

In the first qualifier, I placed 3rd which placed me in the A main. First Amain 1 I placed 3rd, Amain 2 I placed 4th, Amain 3 I placed 2nd.

The competition ahead of me were all running Xray T4 16, Proto Crap bodies.. so all in all I gotta say the TT02-S is an impressive little machine.

My set up on carpet was as follows:
Ride height 6! - USGT has a 5mm ride heigh but that center channel won't clear at 5.
Droop - 1,5 over ride height in front and 2,5 in rear
Camber - 1,5º all around
Front toe - 1,0º toe out
Dampers TRF419 big bores
Shocks Muchmore 400 wt
Springs Muchmore X springs Red front (firm) Pink rear (medium) - I also tested the old HPI Pink in front and silver in rear.. was about the same.

Diff - Front 2.5 million, Rear 10k (using my diff mod in this post

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TT02 Thread

Motor fantom FR-1 21.5
ESC HW Just Stock
Gearing 78/51
Tyres USGT Spec

My only wish is that there was a way to add sway bars.. would have helped immensely..
Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LJH
...not sure why Tamiya insists on offering such short gearing on so many of their cars.
Simple. Despite what we'd like to believe to be the case, us racers are not the core market for Tamiya. Casual bashers are the majority of the market and they're happy to run silvercan motors all day long. Short gearing gives just enough zip to make the car feels fast on acceleration while keeping the top end low enough to retain driveability on the (fairly low grip) kit rubber. Also helps run time and doesn't over stress the kit motor.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The TA05 had optional pieces that you needed to attach to bulkheads for sway bars. I am wondering if those could be made to fit the TT02

Does anyone have a TA05 handy?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-header_53894.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Raman,
Good to hear that the TT02 is fairly on pace. There is an indoor carpet track not far from me and I am tempted to at least do some laps during the practice session one of these days...I have not run a car on a track in a good 20 years.

I really had an itch to run the car but it was still pouring, then I thought about the parking garage at the local Costco which is alway pretty darn empty. The pavement proved to be super smooth but quite dusty but I got to burn a pack....yahoo. The car drives pretty well. I had taken out the really stiff stock spring on the front and put in tamiya yellows which I am running on the back as well and as you might guess it it pretty tail happy but super fun hooning it and sliding the tail around. I have to say that for bashing on unprepared tarmac the 17.5 is pretty perfect, you can spin it if you are not careful on the throttle but not so over powered that the drivability goes away.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dan
Getting my TT02R ready for TCS racing. With the plastic shocks, what weight oil would you recommend?

It is outdoor asphalt, medium traction, and high temperature.
I ran my TT-02 with 100 weight in the front and 80 in the rear. Worked really well on the asphalt parking lot we were racing on. I know that may sound kind of thick to some, but plastic shock have so much oil that blows by the piston you need to go thicker than you would with their better TRF shocks or something like that. The oil also thins out in warm or hot track conditions. Silicone oil tends to vary greatly in viscosity depending on temperature.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

Getting my TT02 Type S dialed in for TCS today, she ran beautifully. The car handles like it is on rails. Was running a 540J motor, 64t spur, 25t pinion, TRF Black Coated Shocks with 40w oil, semi slick rubber and a Subura BRZ race body. They combine pro spec and novice in the same class so I was running with some 21.5 brushless motors. Brought it home in second between a X-Ray chassis and a TT02 set up for Pro Spec, both running with a 21.5. Feeling pretty damn good with my car right now.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nortran11
Getting my TT02 Type S dialed in for TCS today, she ran beautifully. The car handles like it is on rails. Was running a 540J motor, 64t spur, 25t pinion, TRF Black Coated Shocks with 40w oil, semi slick rubber and a Subura BRZ race body. They combine pro spec and novice in the same class so I was running with some 21.5 brushless motors. Brought it home in second between a X-Ray chassis and a TT02 set up for Pro Spec, both running with a 21.5. Feeling pretty damn good with my car right now.
Doesnt it feel great ...kickin some carbon butt......like the Tamiya TT series a lot
Old 06-05-2017, 06:41 AM
LJH
Tech Master

I have to say hearing about you guys doing OK on the track has me wanting to try it out as well, it has been 20+ years since I use to run a TA03 on a real track. This past weekend I put about 4 packs through my car, one of the local schools just had their parking lot paved. I marked out a couple of turns using long pieces of rope and it was fun practicing the corners and it also allowed me to test some changes. I was running Tamiya yellow springs front and back and the car was very tail happy. I swapped over to the silver springs that come with the friction dampeners (much stiffer then the yellows) in the front and what a difference it made. I can still get the car to rotate under throttle on tight turns and on the more open turns the car felt pretty good being able to adjust the attitude of the car with the throttle....it was fun.

I also ordered a new body for the car, The RSR body just looks so darn good that I do not want to bang it up, or run it on dirt, so I ordered the Tamiya Suzuki SX4 WRC body (uses the same 251MM wheel base as the RSR) for $25.00 which seemed like a deal, I am going to go with a very simple practice car livery on this one. Now I just have to get a set of none staggered wheels and tires for the new body.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Forgot to ask, I am running an old Novak Hovoc sport with a 17.5T Hovoc motor. I get about 10 minutes run time on a 4000mah pack geared around 4.35:1. With that said the motor is a bit warmer then I feel comfortable with according to my highly calibrated finger, right after the run I can keep my finger on the motor for about 5 seconds before it gets really uncomfortable. The ESC is only slightly warm. Do motor fans really help? Should I use the kit supplied mount?

The motor/ESC have thermal protection so I wonder if I am just being paranoid.....

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.