R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #361
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm thinking about buying a TT02 as I see it can be used for drifting, racing, and rally. What is the best place you have found to buy it? I'm leaning towards the TT02D as it comes with the oil shocks and bearings. This would be the first kit I will build. Are there any upgrades I should buy right away? What bodies would fit this car? Any info would help.
Thanks,
Kyle
Slashracer1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #362
Tech Regular

Ive personally found banzaihobby the cheapest, some tt02s for around $70USD but I think they dont include the esc/silver can (doesn't matter if you go brushless)

I personally bought mine from rcmart for around $90ish minus the shipping. Came to around $140 or so. I currently use mine for off road since it comes with the rally tires, but I've also got a set of on road tires with separate wheels. The wheelbase for the tt02d I would think is the max which is 257mm (you could probably make it to 251mm but I can't see the point for this).

There are quite a few bodies available from rcmart/banzai. The TT02 is my first ever RC and I've enjoyed it thoroughly, learnt a lot from it and probably have spent too much on it.

I think the TT02D may come with ball bearings? If so, then you should be ok, if not, then get some. Rcmart/ebay are good for hopups for the TT02. Enjoy!
Djchow85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #363
Tech Fanatic

a TT-02D is the best choice to start with RC, it has ball bearings, sport tuned motor, oil filled dampers and a alu motor heatsink included for a fair price.
You still need a body, ESC and some other tires/wheels to go to onroad racing.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #364
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Second what DJ and Blue have said.

I have a four TT02 based models - One rally, one drift and two buggies! - and have been very happy with them as entry level / upgradeable RC vehicles.

The D spec is indeed good value for the reasons above plus the reinforced parts and Banzai is a great place to buy from.
Note though that Banzai's (and most Tamiya kits from Japan??) will feature a motor but normally not an ESC (c.$35 worth) in the kit builds whereas some other sellers will offer an ESC included.

Re bodies DJ has already mentioned length but also keep in mind the width. The TT02 is best suited to bodies of 190mm width which is many Tamiya bodies for models like TT01, XV01, etc.
Other manufacturers offer 200mm wide bodies - The TT02 would need some offset wheels unless you like the wheel-deep-under-guard look.

As for intial upgrades:
- I would recommend the Eagle alloy steering set (TT02-15V2) which comes with steering ball bearings, or at the very least the Tamiya low friction step screws (54550) to improve the steering.
- Definetly also a Tamiya high torque servo saver (51000) to protect the servo from damage.
- If you intend to chuck a decent motor in there probably also an Eagle main shaft (TT02-13) but i've heard the stock ones are much better than the old TT01 ones.
- I personally would also recommend you consider normal threaded screws (Tamiya 3x10 titanium 53530) for attaching the shock towers and diff covers if you plan on taking it apart frequently. I've found my ones with tapping screws start to become loose after a few dissasemblies and are quite easy to accidentally overtighten.

From there you can really go nuts on further improvements but it will really depend on what you want to do with it - Set it up specifically for rally, drift or racing - I've set each of mine up differently.

Either way you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,
Crouch
Camocrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #365
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camocrouch View Post
- I personally would also recommend you consider normal threaded screws (Tamiya 3x10 titanium 53530) for attaching the shock towers and diff covers if you plan on taking it apart frequently. I've found my ones with tapping screws start to become loose after a few dissasemblies and are quite easy to accidentally overtighten.
There is a trick to screw the tapping screws without being affraid that they will wear out in a short time of periode.
When you are going to screw the tapping screw in it's position just turn the screw in the opposit direction (direction for loosening a screw) and when you feel a click then turn in the correct direction to fasten the tapping screw.
This will make sure you are using the same thread as when the screw came out.
Also important is that all of this needs to be done without some brutal force.
Then you are able to use the chassis or parts a lot longer then expected.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #366
Tech Regular

Quote:

Re bodies DJ has already mentioned length but also keep in mind the width. The TT02 is best suited to bodies of 190mm width which is many Tamiya bodies for models like TT01, XV01, etc.
Other manufacturers offer 200mm wide bodies - The TT02 would need some offset wheels unless you like the wheel-deep-under-guard look.

As for intial upgrades:
- I would recommend the Eagle alloy steering set (TT02-15V2) which comes with steering ball bearings, or at the very least the Tamiya low friction step screws (54550) to improve the steering.
- Definetly also a Tamiya high torque servo saver (51000) to protect the servo from damage.
- If you intend to chuck a decent motor in there probably also an Eagle main shaft (TT02-13) but i've heard the stock ones are much better than the old TT01
Would the protoform 190mm camaro zl1 body work then. Does anyone know if the car comes with a servo or do i need to buy one? And for a while i plan on using the stock motor.

Thanks for all of the replies,
Kyle
Old 06-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #367
Tech Regular

Quote:
I can't seem to find the steering set. Can someone post a link to it for me.
Thanks,
Kyle
Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #368
Tech Apprentice

Awesome tip Blue, thanks!

I don't think any of the TT02 kits, including the drift one, come with a servo unless you buy the ready to run models.

Link to the steering set:
http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/sh...x?id=TT02-15V2
Tamiya also make alloy steering components.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #369
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Yep as above the TT02 is fun if you take it as it is and just go about trying to see what you can get out of it.

If you are not doing Tamiya races you can easily get a low FDR to be able to gear a TT02 to run anywhere.

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/04/ta...ta-blinky.html
Apart from tires, springs/dampers are there any other parts you think improve steering/handling? Maybe' its a bit of a vague question... but hop ups wise?

I'm thinking if not... it really comes down to shaving off weight just like a real car?
Djchow85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 AM   #370
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djchow85 View Post
Apart from tires, springs/dampers are there any other parts you think improve steering/handling? Maybe' its a bit of a vague question... but hop ups wise?

I'm thinking if not... it really comes down to shaving off weight just like a real car?
It depends on what area you want to improve exactly. Work is busy at the moment but I have a big article nearly ready on how to make a race level TT02 and it breaks it down into several areas like steering, stability, drivetrain, gearing and weight etc.

I personally think a nice steering servo horn (not the kit one), better steering set-up (Either the Alloy or at least the low friction steering step screws), adjustible front turnbuckles, high speed gear set, Oil dampers and the rear toe in uprights will give you a nice car to drive at a club. There is more that you can do though.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #371
Tech Rookie

Hi Qatmix. I've just purchased a TT-02 and have enjoyed reading this thread and gleaning valuable info.

You mention using rear toe in uprights. Do you mean #54549 Aluminium Rear Upright - 2.5 Degrees, or is there a cheaper plastic alternative?

Also, do you know how an existing wheel track width of approximately 175 - 178mm, when using 24mm rims / tyres, could be increased to something closer to 190mm. i.e. a solution to give an additional 6 - 7mm track width on each side? I wondering, from what I have read, would either:

#84209, Long Wheel Axle Univ Shaft - TT01
or
#53410, Universal Shaft - Long Wheel Axle

fit the TT-02 to give the extra width desired? Am I correct in assuming that #54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (TT-02) would be required for both #84209 and #53410?
atg849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #372
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg849 View Post
Hi Qatmix. I've just purchased a TT-02 and have enjoyed reading this thread and gleaning valuable info.

You mention using rear toe in uprights. Do you mean #54549 Aluminium Rear Upright - 2.5 Degrees, or is there a cheaper plastic alternative?

Also, do you know how an existing wheel track width of approximately 175 - 178mm, when using 24mm rims / tyres, could be increased to something closer to 190mm. i.e. a solution to give an additional 6 - 7mm track width on each side? I wondering, from what I have read, would either:

#84209, Long Wheel Axle Univ Shaft - TT01
or
#53410, Universal Shaft - Long Wheel Axle

fit the TT-02 to give the extra width desired? Am I correct in assuming that #54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (TT-02) would be required for both #84209 and #53410?
Hi, enjoy your tt02

Yep I do mean the aluminium ones. There are no plastic alternatives they are cheap if bought from HK or japan.

As to the width, the long axles will only work with thick plastic wheel hex's or special ones from square.

I have just used some 7mm clamp hex's and then some wheel spacers to widen the car. It's still not 190mm but it's closer.

I will get my article ready soon, the car is going well, and I have a nice little tip to modify the car for rear camber in that feature.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #373
Tech Apprentice

Yeah Racing also make some toe-in rear uprights that may be a little cheaper. Their design is closer to the original part which is attractive to me as it looks a little sturdier for rallying.
The Tamiya ones look a little more on-road race orientated.

You could also look for some wheels that have more offset to help get additional track width, not sure how many of them would be 24mm though as most seem to be 26mm but you could have a hunt around.

Cheers
Crouch
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #374
Tech Rookie

Thanks. Shafts in both #84209 and #53410 appear to have splines and corresponding splined hex wheel hubs. The best pictures I can find which appear to show this is are on the rcMart (for 84209) and the Tamiya Japan (for 53410) web sites. I assume additional hex wheel hubs wouldn’t be required?

Would a problem with just using thicker hex wheel hubs and spacers on the normal length of shaft not be that there would be insufficient thread left for the wheel nuts to lock on?

I enjoyed your previous articles and they were the main inspiration towards my purchase of a TT-02. Can’t wait to read your next one.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #375
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Yeah Racing also make some toe-in rear uprights that may be a little cheaper. Their design is closer to the original part which is attractive to me as it looks a little sturdier for rallying.
The Tamiya ones look a little more on-road race orientated.

You could also look for some wheels that have more offset to help get additional track width, not sure how many of them would be 24mm though as most seem to be 26mm but you could have a hunt around.

Cheers
Crouch
Thanks. I'll have a look at the Yeah Racing rear uprights. Unfortunatley I'm currently stuck with the 24mm wheels and the resultant approximate track width of 175/178mm as I have to use premounted/glued control tyres. Not a good look under a 190mm shell !!!