Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1130Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by visuvius
Thanks friend this helped. I'll just get the upgrades from them. Speaking of which.

I was going to get these hop up parts from Banzai:

54476 TT02 Ball Bearing Set
54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
54501 TT02 Alum Propeller Shaft
54502 TT02 Alum Propeller Joint
54539 TT02B Full Turnbuckle Set
51527 TT02 A Parts - Upright
51528 TT02 B Parts - Sus Arm
51529 TT02 C Parts - Cup Joint
51530 TT02 D Parts - Motor Mount

Can someone please tell me if something here is unnecessary or of there is something else I should get? I'm getting the spares just cause they are kind of cheap but if you guys don't think I need them I won't buy them.

I was trying to decide between the TT02 and a used TB03 but I think the TB03 is a bit too much care for me at the moment and I think I'd like to try racing in the novice Tamiya class.

Also, can someone tell me how fast the stock motor is in the TT02 kit? The description just says 540 brushed motor but i'm not sure how many turns or anything like that.
No worries mate, happy to help.

In regards to those hop ups / spares I pretty much agree with everything there as a good starting point however the turnbuckle set listed I believe is for the TT-02'B' (Buggy) model and hence will not fit the sedan models.
Also I have the Tamiya alloy prop shaft but have been happier with the one from Eagle Racing as its shaped to fit the prop joints (Google 'Broadtech' and have a look through their stuff, slow website but great products and service). Have a look at the pics in one of my albums as i've fitted this to one of my TT02B's.

While your on broadtech maybe have a look at some oil shocks as well? Perhaps alloy steering blocks / uprights and a front one-way?

Not sure whether you'll really need the D parts, can't see much there that would break.

I don't have any experience with the TB03 but it looks to be a more advanced chassis.
The TT-02 is good but at the end of the day it is an entry level model.
Just be wary that by the time you've hopped up the TT-02 you may end up spending the sort of money that would have bought you a better chassis to begin with.
I don't mind doing that because for me that's half the fun!

The stock 540 'silver can' brushed motor is good, you'll have fun with it, but it is on the slower side of everything that's available now days. Don't quote me but I think it's around 27 turns.
For a nice little boost and only few dollars off Banzai you could get a Tamiya Sport Tuned 'black can' motor that I think is around 23 turns and will still work with the stock Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC.

I've written a review of the TT-02B buggies that may be of interest / relevant if you want to head over to the electric off road section.

Another option you might want to consider is to wait for the drift spec TT-02D (Google 'Tamiaya TT02D') which should be coming out soon (Feb?). It will give you your oil shocks, bearings, sport tuned motor, motor heat sink and some other bling probably cheaper than buying them separately. You'd need to switch the tyres over to on-road tyres though.

Good luck!
Crouch
Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey all,

As I mentioned above, there is information on the net about the TT-02D drift spec potentially being available in Feb.

Upgrades vs the stock TT-02 include:
* Ball bearings (guessing not the steering though)
* Oil shocks
* Sport tuned motor
* Blue motor heat sink
* Silver brake discs
* Blue alloy battery strap
* Super drift tech tyres

No adjustable camber though which I think is dissapointing, kind of a core thing for a drifter.

What I was most interested in though is the pictures showing what looks to be a different material used (dark grey as opposed to black) for parts like the suspension towers.
Do you think this is just a prototype model (seems unlikely given the parts look identical to the stock TT-02) or perhaps are these the reinforced parts mentioned earlier in this thread?

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

The grey parts are the re-enforced plastic parts. These will be available separately
Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Camocrouch
No worries mate, happy to help.

In regards to those hop ups / spares I pretty much agree with everything there as a good starting point however the turnbuckle set listed I believe is for the TT-02'B' (Buggy) model and hence will not fit the sedan models.
Also I have the Tamiya alloy prop shaft but have been happier with the one from Eagle Racing as its shaped to fit the prop joints (Google 'Broadtech' and have a look through their stuff, slow website but great products and service). Have a look at the pics in one of my albums as i've fitted this to one of my TT02B's.

While your on broadtech maybe have a look at some oil shocks as well? Perhaps alloy steering blocks / uprights and a front one-way?

Not sure whether you'll really need the D parts, can't see much there that would break.

I don't have any experience with the TB03 but it looks to be a more advanced chassis.
The TT-02 is good but at the end of the day it is an entry level model.
Just be wary that by the time you've hopped up the TT-02 you may end up spending the sort of money that would have bought you a better chassis to begin with.
I don't mind doing that because for me that's half the fun!

The stock 540 'silver can' brushed motor is good, you'll have fun with it, but it is on the slower side of everything that's available now days. Don't quote me but I think it's around 27 turns.
For a nice little boost and only few dollars off Banzai you could get a Tamiya Sport Tuned 'black can' motor that I think is around 23 turns and will still work with the stock Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC.

I've written a review of the TT-02B buggies that may be of interest / relevant if you want to head over to the electric off road section.

Another option you might want to consider is to wait for the drift spec TT-02D (Google 'Tamiaya TT02D') which should be coming out soon (Feb?). It will give you your oil shocks, bearings, sport tuned motor, motor heat sink and some other bling probably cheaper than buying them separately. You'd need to switch the tyres over to on-road tyres though.

Good luck!
Crouch
I did remove the turnbuckle set and added the basic Tamiya oil shocks from Banzai. I do realize that all these add ons drives up the price to TB03 levels but ultimately anything but the TT01 or TT02 wasn't an option for me since I want to try Spec/Novice class.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I did remove the turnbuckle set and added the basic Tamiya oil shocks from Banzai. I do realize that all these add ons drives up the price to TB03 levels but ultimately anything but the TT01 or TT02 wasn't an option for me since I want to try Spec/Novice class.
Cool.

I also recommend a tamiya high torque servo saver as well, to protect your servo from damage.

Cheers,
Crouch
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Make sure to set the gearing to TCS spec and add a fan blowing into the commutator hole and the motor can. You might need to buy pinions and spurs to get to the gearing. Do not add aluminum motor heat sink as they do nothing but trap heat. Will see you on saturday.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Qatmix
The grey parts are the re-enforced plastic parts. These will be available separately
Fantastic!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ErikJan
Great body! Here you can find some pictures of my creation:
http://www.modelbouw-aktueel.nl/page...-tamiya156.php

Looks very nice

Finished my body in the meantime, decided to do a simple design.
I painted the Rims with Revell color, black and aluminium.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-porsche-911-carrera-rsr_1.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-porsche-911-carrera-rsr_2.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-porsche-911-carrera-rsr_3.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-felgen.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Also painted the brake disc with Revell color aluminium.
I think it looks quite nice
A picture of my TT02 is also attached.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-bremsscheibe.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-tamiya-tt-02.jpg   Tamiya TT02 Thread-felgen.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Just to clear the air -

Banazi Hobby Cart both based in Japan have Japanese market kits/rtr's. The kits do not come with a ESC, but the RTR's do, obviously it wouldn't be an RTR now would it without one?

RCMart carries what I am going to assume is NA/EU market kits and do include a ESC.

Have fun, I need to get some stuff done around here because I have no actual workspace and need to not create some but just get rid of stuff or put it in its proper place.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hasi
Also painted the brake disc with Revell color aluminium.
I think it looks quite nice
A picture of my TT02 is also attached.
Clean build Stefan!
Like it a lot.
Also nice electronics installation!
Will you use it for Racing?

Br,
Matthias
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Matthias

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Will you use it for Racing?
Maybe, I don't know yet. I bought it because of the body in first place
But there's a series called 'Youngtimer-Trophy' with very simple rules:
- Body of the original must be manufactured between 1966 and 1988
- No additional parts on the body except the ones included in the body kit
- Tires to use are the ones delivered with the kit or the HPI Vintage tires, but no disk rims
- Scale look preferred, so no airbrusehd flames or something like that
- Motor to use is the Carson Cup Machine
(all for the TT-class, M-Chassis-Class has slightly different rules)

More information here: http://rc-youngtimer-trophy.blogspot.de/

I like that series a lot because of its simplicity... maybe I'll give it a try
Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a question about my TT02 build. I just finished and noticed a slight problem and I'm not sure what I did wrong.

My problem is that my rear wheels don't stick out far enough it seems. I followed the Standard kit instructions and the body came with the kit so I'm not sure why its not flush? The front is better but the rear seems really pushed in. Now, there is an option to make a wide build but I didn't do that becuase it doesn't come with that piece C6 for the front wheels. It DOES come with piece A13 which is wider rear wheel hub. Why does it come with the piece for the rear but not the front?

Should I just install the wider A13 hubs to the rear? The Standard instructions say to install the A14 hubs but you can see how far in the wheels are.

Any advice?

Here is what its supposed to look like:

Old 01-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Yes, you just need to fit them for the rear, the wheels are correct for the front as they are.

The instructions at the start tell you to check wheelbase and width so you can spot this when building.

The Capri shell is fantastic!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Just build a TT02 with my young son last night. Since his Traxxas vehicles are waterproof, we wanted to try and make this one waterproof as well, just for fun. We built it with a Traxxas waterproof servo and installed a Traxxas waterproof radio box in place of the kit's radio box. Still have the kits ESC, but will eventually get the Traxxas XL-5. This is one build where we actually wanted to use all the nylon bearings!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.