Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1121Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jarlath
Woot. I just came into possession of a previously loved Tamiya TT-02 (Nissan Skyline body). It has a4000kv brushless in it, but is otherwise stock. Recommended spare parts (cheap upgrades)? Required upgrades?

Also however, some screws have stripped, any ideas on repairing/replacing screws? (god I hate Philips screw heads).

Many thanks.
I have to imagine you can get screws from Tamiya or I know there are allen head fastener kits available. One thing that helps immensely is to use JIS screw drivers. The Japanese fasteners have a different profile than other philips head fasteners and are easily stripped if you do not use a JIS screwdriver.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-03-2017, 12:51 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-hd-1207tg.html

These are good.. it's the same servo as the Savox under different name.

It's out of stock on this site but you can find it on eBay
I just saw that the Spectrum S6070 (same as the low profile Savox) is on sale for $39.95 on the Horizon web site. They are a couple more bucks than the Power HD but might be easier to get?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-04-2017, 08:21 AM
GPP
Tech Rookie

subbed
Old 11-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jarlath
Woot. I just came into possession of a previously loved Tamiya TT-02 (Nissan Skyline body). It has a4000kv brushless in it, but is otherwise stock. Recommended spare parts (cheap upgrades)? Required upgrades?

Also however, some screws have stripped, any ideas on repairing/replacing screws? (god I hate Philips screw heads).

Many thanks.
RC Screwz sells a kit for the TT-02. You will need to use a hex driver for them.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LJH
I just saw that the Spectrum S6070 (same as the low profile Savox) is on sale for $39.95 on the Horizon web site. They are a couple more bucks than the Power HD but might be easier to get?

Cheers,
Jim
Yes, spectrum would be easier to service as well!
Old 12-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

My 7 yeas son often has a stock TT-02 (LaFerrari) with 2 upgrades: GPM Aluminum Front Knuckle and Bearings.
He often crashes and the front dog bones are very often coming out (and then the outer joint is ejected).
Any suggestion to prevent that?
I did not put o-ring inside. I noticed that for TT-02S there is this o-ring and it seems to be also provided with the kid.

How do you fit a Kimbrough Medium servo saver ? The top hole is not high enough and can touch the shaft.

Last edited by julieng; 12-03-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by julieng
My 7 yeas son often has a stock TT-02 (LaFerrari) with 2 upgrades: GPM Aluminum Front Knuckle and Bearings.
He often crashes and the front dog bones are very often coming out (and then the outer joint is ejected).
Any suggestion to prevent that?
I did not put o-ring inside. I noticed that for TT-02S there is this o-ring and it seems to be also provided with the kid.

How do you fit a Kimbrough Medium servo saver ? The top hole is not high enough and can touch the shaft.
CVD front driveshafts are the simple fix for this, it's one of the first mods most racers carry out. Throwing dog bones is something TT02s do. The bone is quite short and the suspension arms are a tad too flexible. A stronger servo saver does help too. I'm not sure a Kimbrough medium one will fit. If the height is insufficient that's that. If you're using the stock link arm you could replace it by using a ballstud at each end and a turnbuckle rod as they're smaller in cross section and might get you an extra millimetre or so.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mini35
CVD front driveshafts are the simple fix for this, it's one of the first mods most racers carry out. Throwing dog bones is something TT02s do. The bone is quite short and the suspension arms are a tad too flexible. A stronger servo saver does help too. I'm not sure a Kimbrough medium one will fit. If the height is insufficient that's that. If you're using the stock link arm you could replace it by using a ballstud at each end and a turnbuckle rod as they're smaller in cross section and might get you an extra millimetre or so.
Which cvd should I go for ?
If I go gpm, can I keep the standard plastic outer joint ?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by julieng
Which cvd should I go for ?
If I go gpm, can I keep the standard plastic outer joint ?
I run old GPM ones in mine, they were steel and unbreakable. I think the current ones might have an alloy bone. It replaces the kit shaft and axle stub and allows you to retain the big gearbox outdrive (that you were previously losing all the time). If you were to go with a proper Tamiya CVD you'd need to replace the gearbox cup with a smaller metal one, I use M05 Mini ones on my full race TT02S as they're cheap and easily available.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Hello All,
I am adding a bit (bunch?) more power to the TT02 and just bought a secondhand 10.5T motor. Looking at a FDR chart and it looks like they recommend anything from a low 5 to a low 6:1 FDR on a fixed timing ESC. Since I am bashing I am thinking somewhere in the high 5's to low 6's to keep the heat down and run time up as much as possible. With that said I am wondering what the largest 64P Spur the TT02 will accept? I have an 85T in there now and there is a bit more room but curious how big you can go?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LJH
Hello All,
I am adding a bit (bunch?) more power to the TT02 and just bought a secondhand 10.5T motor. Looking at a FDR chart and it looks like they recommend anything from a low 5 to a low 6:1 FDR on a fixed timing ESC. Since I am bashing I am thinking somewhere in the high 5's to low 6's to keep the heat down and run time up as much as possible. With that said I am wondering what the largest 64P Spur the TT02 will accept? I have an 85T in there now and there is a bit more room but curious how big you can go?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
You can go to a 50 pinion on 64dp before you need to consider grinding the cover, maybe even more. I ran 92 spur/45 pinion for a 5.56:1 FDR on a 20turn brushed motor in race conditions. However for general bashing I'd recommend 48dp as it's more robust.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mini35
You can go to a 50 pinion on 64dp before you need to consider grinding the cover, maybe even more. I ran 92 spur/45 pinion for a 5.56:1 FDR on a 20turn brushed motor in race conditions. However for general bashing I'd recommend 48dp as it's more robust.
Thanks.

I actually found the stock spur which equates to just about a 91T 64P so you have confirmed my suspensions. I have been running a 85T spur with a 51T pinion on my 17.5 so I already opened up the gear cover a bit.

I have just about 10 hours of run time with a 17.5 on 64P gears with no issues so I am going to stick with 64P. I opened up the gear cover this morning to take a look at the room and saw that I had a bit of dust in there, I pulled the spur and pinion and cleaned them up and there was very little wear. My bashing consists of setting up a course on two adjacent tennis courts and doing hot laps so I would guess my usage is more akin to racing on a circuit then true bashing.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM
LJH
Tech Master

The TT02 is getting another upgrade :-). 8 years ago our house was robbed and the crooks took a lot of my RC gear including an, at the time, fairly high end Futaba surface radio. When it was stolen I was not doing a lot of surface RC so I bought a Futaba T2PH which is a VERY simple AM radio that did what I needed at the time. I also fly a lot of e-powered planes and gliders and have always flown Futaba's upper mid range Tx's and over the last 15 years I have learned to love the ability to configure the newer digital radios that offer EXP, End Points, digital trims, etc.

As I am spending a bit more time enjoying the TT02 and trying to get the best out of it I see where some of those options could be useful on RC cars. I did a lot of reading on the lower end digital radios and decided on the Futaba 3PV. I kept a keen eye on the classifieds but missed the couple that came up in the last month. The other day when I was ordering gears for the new motor I saw that A Main had a $10 off coupon for orders of $100 or more and pulled the trigger. I am looking forward to checking out the TT02 with its new found power and control :-).

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Hello All,
I got home late yesterday from a work trip and there was a box sitting for me.

First up was to install the 3PV, For the money I think it is pretty nice, I was worried that for the price and weight it would feel cheap but that is not the case. The menu is a bit cumbersome for the fact that you have to cycle through all the programming every time you want to make a change but I was able to do everything I wanted without reading the instructions. It is nice having adjustable end points as I was able to get a few more degrees of steering lock. I have not had a chance to run it on my circuit to fine tune it to my liking but I like it so far.

I then tackled putting the new motor in. I bought a used Trackstar 10.5T V2, which looks like new, for $20 shipped. The guy I bought it from said he ran it in a TC for three nights at a carpet track and other then seeing it was soldered it looks like it is brand new. I geared it with a 91T spur and a 39T pinion for a 6.06:1 FDR. I spun it up for a second and noted that one of the Tamiya Super Grips was coming off the wheel so I switched over to a set of USGT tires and took it out front. Not having any experience with lower turn BL motors I was concerned that a 10.5 might be to much for the TT02 but it actually feels pretty perfect. The car will get a bit of wheel spin off the line if you drop the hammer and the top speed is noticeably higher but it is smooth and totally controllable.....I think this is going to be fun. I ran it around for about 5 minutes and did a finger check of the temp. It was 26* out and the motor felt just slightly warm so I did not even put the temp gun on it, I am running a blinky ESC. For the time being I will leave this gearing in it and wait to see what happens as it warms up but thinking I can go a bit steeper if I want to. I was hoping to do some hot laps on the tennis courts today at lunch but we got a couple inches of snow this morning so that will not be happening.

Cheers,
Jim
Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TT02 Type S setting toe in rear

Does anyone has an idea how to set rear toe in of a TT02S? I just run stock challange on carpet and 3 degree toe in rear makes the car to slow on the straight sometimes.

Last edited by ujeune; 12-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.