R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2002, 08:19 AM   #556
Tech Adept

how do u guys set up your ball diff??tight front/loose rear??how tight or loose should it be and can i put any grease i could lay my hands on in the diff??by the way anyone here tried to lay down both the front and rear shocks???i lay down my rear shock on my mtx and really like it...how would it perform on an electric car?today at the track i had slight oversteer..below is my setup

camber:1deg front/2deg rear
toe in: 1deg front/2deg rear
springrange f/white r
diff:fairly tight front/loose rear
tires:sorex 32r

also had to put the receiver on the servo as theres too much interference when puting it beside the esc near the motor
i also had some problem when i tried to brake really hard coz the car will be spinning...is it because of the one way center pulley?i never run any one way pulley in my nitro and the only thing i know if u were to use a front one way pulley on a nitro u cant really brake well coz the pulley seems to like sweeping corner than tight corners.....anyone use front one way in their corally for small tight tracks...how does it compare to ball diff??i have one that i could put in but i dont want the hassle to dismantle it on the track if i dont like the way it handles...do i need to put ball bearing in the front one way pulley or just leave it empty...coz the one i have doesnt come with any ball bearings or the plates...yah my local track is tight
ok that all for now
will have more questions coming in!!
thanks

Last edited by wiley; 01-10-2002 at 08:26 AM.
wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:37 AM   #557
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Smile

Diffs should be tight but rotate freely with very litlle slippage and set the same front and back... associated or losi diff grease or similar. If you're using one way action then it's a must that you dial out your brakes. Even if you are'nt using any one way action i'ts better and faster dialing out 80% of your brakes. It takes some getting used to but the more you drive the faster you'll be once used to it.
I get better rear traction actually moving the shocks outboard. I'm using all white springs too with 45wt oil and all piston holes open. It's very important to check your droop screws for tweak- these being off will create problems with traction.

and no diff rings or balls or washers or screws go in the front one way....

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:35 AM   #558
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wiley: I pretty much leave my shocks mounted where the team drivers do. The outer most hole up front and the next to outer most hole back in the rear.

You didn't mention what you had the rear anti-squat set at while you were having your oversteer problem. I can't recall having an oversteer problem, unless I just had the wrong tires for the track. Or if I ran the one-way unlocked on a slippery track.

I run orange up front and white in the rear with 30wt. oil all around. I run Corally diff grease or Associated and I set the diffs up as loose as possible without any slippage. Just make sure you don't get any, ANY, grease on those rubber O-rings that grip the diff halves.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:18 PM   #559
Tech Adept

ok!i have not set the droop or even check it ...will do that ...how do u set the droop ?with tires mounted or without?shock mounting are the same as the team drivers......anti squat is on the top hole which means it's not level but at an angle where the rear is pointing lower....will try to set the car again and will post here
thanks
Old 01-10-2002, 04:12 PM   #560
Tech Adept

darkside!
how do u unlock the one way
Old 01-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #561
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

...go for the lower hole for anti squat- means more traction.
Before checking droop pop the shocks off of the suspension and make sure the suspension movement is completely free.
For droop you need a flat surface and a ride hight guage. Take your tires/ wheels off the car, set the car on flat surface and make sure the chassis lays on it as flat as the board. Now measure how far your rear knuckles are from contacting the ground. Should be like 7mm from the bottom of the rear knuckle to the ground. Now do the same for the front- should be about 2mm from bottom of knuckle to the ground. If you want more rear traction lower the rear slightly- if car pushes then raise the rear slightly. Left hubs MUST match the right hubs droop or you'll get tweak. This is the most important tip that nobody seems explain in their manuals.
Good Luck

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 01-10-2002, 04:21 PM   #562
Regional Moderator

wiley: the one-way is locked and unlocked via that nut on the main layshaft. When its cranked all the way down and tight agaist the two pulleys, then the one way should be locked. You can check this by holding the spur gear and tugging the front belt. Not too hard! Just make sure that one pulley wont move without the other. To unlock it, loosen the not and give the two pulleys a slight pull in opposite directions to free them from each other. This will leave you with full one-way action. Of course you can go anywhere between full lock and full unlock. MikeR and most others here use the fornt one-way also. I don't use the one-way enough to go for the $60+ front one-way, but maybe I will one day.

Also if you have indeed read all the post here on this thread, you have seen the tips on how to make sure the one-way pulley doesn't slip, so I would suggest you pick one of those methods(either with the glue method or set screw method) before you do too much one-way activated racing.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:25 PM   #563
Regional Moderator

wiley: another tip that you must remember is to make sure that you have the two front shocks the same length. And then make sure the two rears are the same.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:41 AM   #564
Tech Adept

i've just rebuilt the car again and notice that the belts are barely touching the motors..i'm using 100/32....is there anything that i assembled wrongly??how come u guys managed to use smaller spur??

MikeR:i've changed the anti squat to level...and also notice that there are two mounting hole on the front bulkhead for the upper arms....which to use??lower or upper??

Darkseid:i've done all the mods that the corally site recommended and gonna try the feel of driving with one way

thanks

Last edited by wiley; 01-14-2002 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:30 AM   #565
Tech Champion

Wiley- i think the bottom hole on the front upper keeps the front level too (keep it level). My 90 tooth is American48 pitch so maybe you're using a different standard or are you using 64 pitch? If you're using 64pitch (for me I can't use 64 pitch because my car eats them up) then you might try a 115 tooth spur. Either way you need to increase your gear sizing....

Old 01-14-2002, 09:37 AM   #566
Tech Adept

yes i did use the lower hole so it's flat............spur is 110(64pitch)
just bought 115 both belt still touching motor........will buy 120 tomorrow
thanks mike
Old 01-15-2002, 04:24 AM   #567
Tech Adept

tried 122/34 and belt are no longer touching motor.....does anyone here uses a deans connector for their C4...i would like to use deans but i think the wires would be very long...someone told me to keep the wires as short as possible....if there is anyone here uses deans could u please show me a way or maybe post pics...as for now i'm using corally plugs....using deans would make it easier for me to change motors
today had a good ride with C4.1 using front one way....thanks mike and darkseid for all the setup tips
Old 01-15-2002, 09:02 AM   #568
Tech Rookie

I use a 21 pinion, 90 spur and my belts dont touch my motor (a couple of MM at best to spare)...

I dont use any connectors, I solder my motors and battery leads directly.

I bought a new P2K Pro the other day and it brought my Corally C4 AGLE to life, I was blown away by the difference in the way it performed (it was using an old bagged stock motor before)..

-KS
KnightShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:13 AM   #569
Tech Champion

Wiley- no problem- I use 1 Deans plug between the motor and esc and the Corally plugs to the battery- very tidy and powerful with no solder hassle because I race parking lots.

Knightshift- You're geared at 8.05fd, wait till you gear that p2k at 6.27fd (27tooth). The motor/car will absolutely fly and be none the worse for it....

Old 01-15-2002, 04:00 PM   #570
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

Hi fellas, Im back from holidays..all refreshed and ready for another years racing..

havent touched my R/C gear for a whole month!...so what has been happening?...

a happy new year to all, I hope everyone has had a great holiday period.

great to see all the regulars, B.K, MikeR, Darkseid..!

good to see some new names, Wiley, Knightshift...howdy guys!
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote