R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-26-2001, 04:53 AM   #451
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

My setup from DSI round 4 from last Sunday in Canberra.

Track: Asphalt / 26 degrees ambient temp

FRONT:
orange spring, 35 wt oil, 4hole piston, position 2 on front tower
5 mm ride height
0 toe out
2 deg camber
7deg caster
Tires: Proline Purple/Orange 24mm

REAR:
white spring, 35 wt oil, 3 hole piston, position 5 on rear tower
5.5mm ride height
2 deg toe in
2 deg camber
camber position 1
0 deg antisquat
Tires: Proline Purple 26mm (prefer 24mm)

Other info:

split top deck
front oneway diff
smooth rear diff
layshaft oneway locked up
transponder up front
no active caster
steering block pos 1
New Protoform BMW M3 Coupe body (2 door) mmm...
rtr weight c1500g (without transponder)

Motor: Corally 12x1 / Orion 10-30 41007 brushes
Rollout: 27.25mm
Cells: Corally SMH - 4amp, 10mv cut off.

Last edited by black-knight; 11-26-2001 at 04:57 AM.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 08:34 AM   #452
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well I ran my first race on carpet yesterday. Personally, I don't see whats so special about it. It wasn't as fun as racing outdoors on asphalt and picking capet lint out of my drivetrain and chassis is no fun!

Anyway.....

I did my first run with the C4.1. We had all of about 5 min of practice time before the racing started. It seemed to be a little loose at first, but started to get some grip as the race progressed. I wan't to see if I could do better with my other car.(Schumacher Axis) It had much more steering and felt more controlable, even though I was running the same tires on it as I did the C4.1.

Strange thing is that, even though I felt like I was doing much, much better with my Axis than I was with the C4.1, I never quite made it to the lap total I put in on that first run with the Corally!

So basically, my worst run with my C4.1, was still better than the best I could do with my other car!

Anyway, needless to say, I'm going to be (not so patiently) awaiting next years outdoor season to start!

You can keep the carpet!
Old 11-26-2001, 09:11 AM   #453
Tech Apprentice

Darkside,
So how did you like the carpet experience? Did you have the Express tires or is there another tire of choice? I was told the Losi's were dominating the carpet tracks around the country. It proabably was just a bias statement though.
HPI 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 11:10 AM   #454
Regional Moderator

HPI-1: well, I didn't think it was a big deal at all. They had plenty of room to layout a nice sized track, but instead decided to set up a track so tight, damn Mini-Z's would have had a hard time negotiating it! You think I'm exaggerating about how small it was? How bout' this, the stock sedan TQ time was 38 laps in about 5:01!!! The oval and 1/12 scale guys were doing like 70 laps!!!

I had the Express tires and they worked well. Charlie and Jim folsom were able to run slicks though. Sorex's I believe.

As for the Losi's dominating? Whatever! Its all BS! Yes the guy who won Sunday was running Losi, but the same guy was running a TC3 back when those came out, and was still winning. The fact is that the A-main people were running 5-6 laps faster than everyone else! With the "Stock" motors they were running, they could have been running a Traxxas 4-tec and still made the A-main.

The Losi's are dominating for the same reason the TC3 dominated when it first came out. Because the people who were already fast switched to the car. Add to that, the people who just buy it because everyone else is running it, and you end up with a field of cars that consist of 98% Losi's, and 2% everyone else. So I don't know if dominating is the right word for it, maybe inevitable is a better one.

As for how I like the carpet experience, Like I said, you can keep it! I may go there once or maybe twice more through the winter, but I still prefer good old fashion outdoor asphalt racing.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:28 PM   #455
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

kewl B.K..it is interesting how minimal the changes are to get hooked up on foam..alot of the guys who came up for the winternats, ran a rubber setup, as they said if your car is handling well on rubber, it should be dialled on foam..I would think the main change would be to increase the oil wt a little, which i noticed you run 5 wt heavier than I do.
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 09:33 AM   #456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On the foam tires which is the softer compound or shore....pink or purple?
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:23 PM   #457
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Pit - I am not sure of the Shore but i know that Pink is softer than Purple, i think from memory they are 35 and 40 respectively.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:59 AM   #458
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

KingG- good job at TFTR. So you still like the cs27's more than the Sorex's? I agree the box tires are ok but not even comparable to the new TakeOff's.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:51 PM   #459
Tech Fanatic

Hey Mike!, thanks for the encouragement...yeah we have found the takeoff 27r with the supplied insert to be the best tire on our track in cool to mild conditions..once the temperature rises these tires become less consistant, but that is to be expected as they are for cooler temps, we then switch to sorex 32-36 as it heats up, with either hpi green/blue inserts..

I have continously posted my fastest runs on takeoff, so they are working the best at the moment, I bought a ton of sorex for the State titles, so I will be using them throughout summer.

On another note...I had recently brought some aircraft grade Carbon fibre, this stuff was made for me by an aircraft engineer and has much better strength/weight ratio than what we would usually expect in an r/c car chassis.

Last night I finally got to work making a new rear shock tower...I kept the standard geometry, I included only the 3 standup shock positions from the c4.1 tower. I then added 1 more stand up option, and one more laydown, to give a total of 5 mounting points. I noticed there was zero flex in the tower, and now I will be working on a way to reduce flex in the rear arms.

I will report back to let you know how it goes after some testing.

Last edited by King-G; 11-29-2001 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:38 PM   #460
Regional Moderator

What flex in the rear arms? These things seem pretty stiff to me. There sure isn't any flew there when the things keep bending my rear hinge pins!
Old 11-29-2001, 04:29 PM   #461
Tech Fanatic

grab your rear hubs and push them forward and back...

they dont flex up and down, but twist where the hubs mount to the pillow balls..the short sections jutting out for the pillow balls seem to twist, needing a cross brace or something..
Old 11-30-2001, 07:40 AM   #462
Regional Moderator

Oh, okay. Well the 4.1 is a pretty stiff car, so I won't worry too much about that minor flexing.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:22 PM   #463
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

Won the C-Main with the C4.1 last night after I broke an upper front arm on my Schuie...and, the C4.1 was broken also...either a cvd bent or one of the pivotball links tried to come out on the right front....havent had time to look at it...the car ran great until that happened....still had a lap on everyone with it broke
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:28 PM   #464
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

TTT
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:43 PM   #465
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Well I had a good weekend with my C4.1, raced on Friday night and Saturday night, (outdoors, under lights). I made one change to my car that totally transformed it from good to extremely good.

All that i did was increase the caster, and the car was dialed. I also found the sweet spot for gearing my Corally 12x1 which was also performing very well.

So my current base setup is as per my earlier posting, with the additional caster (2 caster spaces to the front, thinnest spacer to the rear).

One funny thing that happend on Saturday night, one of Australia's best drivers (no name to be mentioned, drives a C4.1) wired his motor in backwards for the 3rd final, so in digust he decided to drive the entire final backwards (rear wheel steer!!!), i think he still finished 5th or so! had to be seen!