Wiki Posts
Search

A RWD R/C drift car

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default A RWD R/C drift car

In the real world, 90+% of those drift cars are rear-wheel drive. So if anyone knows any car maker makes a "real" r/c drift car, please post a link here. Thanks.

Here is a video I found on youtube that makes me even more interested in drifting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0QeISN0oZU
Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well the Schumacher Big 6 is 1/6 and RWD but I haven't seen any drift vids.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

get an ff chassis and run the motor in reverse
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by V0RT3X
Well the Schumacher Big 6 is 1/6 and RWD but I haven't seen any drift vids.
Yeah, I searched the web and couldn't find any either.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by monkee
get an ff chassis and run the motor in reverse
Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well Big6 isn't made for quite a while and I don't think that there are many out there (and much less drifting)
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

In the real world, the cars are 1000 times heavier, there is a different weight bias, forces are multiplied by larger factor (friction and acceleration especially), you are in the car so can feel it breaking loose, and probably a whole lot of things I hadn't thought about.
At the end of the day, 4wd trumps RC drifting withuot a doubt
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

I just searched youtube and found someone is trying to figure out how to drift a RWD TC4. At least, I know I am not along.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

I think it's all about the right parts & setup, and driving skills. Here is a good website that talks about Formula Drift: http://driftjapan.com/blog/

How to build a drift car: http://driftjapan.com/blog/car-parts...d-a-drift-car/

My goal is to make scale r/c cars look and drive as close to real cars as possible.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

There are a lot of cars that could be converted to RWD by removing the center driveshaft, one of the belts, front CVD/dogbones or any combination thereof depending on the vehicle you are working with. That is probably your best bet, because you can easily convert back and forth. Maybe get the hang of drifting with 4WD then experiment with the RWD. I think it is going to be very difficult with RWD, but I'm sure it's possible with enough practice and finesse (and a properly set up vehicle).
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

if you want "RWD" drifting you should run upto 200% overdrive.

it's the best way for now, it's still 4x4 but the rear wheels have more RPM.

works well, you can find info on www.csjunkies.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTx_5YNwpKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNe3o75KmjA
Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by simplechamp
There are a lot of cars that could be converted to RWD by removing the center driveshaft, one of the belts, front CVD/dogbones or any combination thereof depending on the vehicle you are working with. That is probably your best bet, because you can easily convert back and forth. Maybe get the hang of drifting with 4WD then experiment with the RWD. I think it is going to be very difficult with RWD, but I'm sure it's possible with enough practice and finesse (and a properly set up vehicle).
Thanks for the advice. I actually started my experiment with a 4WD shaft-drive touring car (similiar to the TT01 or TC4), and took out the front gear box, drive shafts and center drive shaft. Wow, it is almost impossible to drive that thing right after I did all that.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do some research on a RC10DS...

I have one and it's pretty fun to drive in the street. Never thought of drifting with it, since that's not my thing. But, with the right tires it might do the trick.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsais
Thanks for the advice. I actually started my experiment with a 4WD shaft-drive touring car (similiar to the TT01 or TC4), and took out the front gear box, drive shafts and center drive shaft. Wow, it is almost impossible to drive that thing right after I did all that.
Because if you could calculate the power to weight ratio of an r/c in scale with a real car it'd be like having a V24 with 5000ft/lb of torque. Match that with plastic drift tires and all you'll get are doughnuts. I would suggest if you want to just see it happen, turn your throttle epa down to like 30 and see if you can get some semblance of control.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Because if you could calculate the power to weight ratio of an r/c in scale with a real car it'd be like having a V24 with 5000ft/lb of torque. Match that with plastic drift tires and all you'll get are doughnuts. I would suggest if you want to just see it happen, turn your throttle epa down to like 30 and see if you can get some semblance of control.
I thought about the power to weight ratio issue, so I replaced the brushless motor with a silver can (540) motor.

I understand totally why those car, ESC, motor, and battery makers want you to buy their products and then educate you to put on some no-traction plastic tires to drift. Huh? Maybe some harder rubber slick tires + 540 motor? I'll let you draw your own conclusion on this.

Last edited by tsais; 12-10-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.