Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor info... New to electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Motor info... New to electric

Hi i have been running off road nitros for the last year and have recently got my first electric rc... I have been looking into motor changes and was wondering what the '60t' or 8t' means... Which is better? Thanks in advance, Ben
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The "T" stands for turns. It's the number of times the wire inside the motor is wound around the stator. A motor with a lower turn count is a faster motor. For example, a 6.5t is faster than a 13.5t. Very high turn motors (35 and up) are generally used in crawler applications. Off road racing applications can use anything from a 17.5 all the way up to a 6.5. However, lower turn motors can be detrimental depending on the surface. On a high traction clay, you could run a 7.5, but on really loose stuff that much motor can be too much and not let you put the power down. More powerful is not always better.