Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Asphalt Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robertcooper88
No, I don't know why you wrote it, because there is no way you/or I know the circumstances behind the date. I am pretty sure there is a good reason. It was just posted today. I would imagine you said what you because of the Reedy Race at the end of the same month.
I said it because of the respect that we all have for Mike Reedy and what he did to improve this sport and how some of us don't think it shows much respect to hold a race in the same month that competes with HIS race. Is it fair to assume that you have never competed in an RROC? I believe if you did then you would understand how presitigious his race is and why we run it. That's why I said it shows a lack of respect. To me trying to avoid the rain by holding the Nationals in the same month as the RROC isn't a good enough reason, althougth I can appreciate if that is the reason, to me it will detract from the RROC. Hell I believe there should be a moratorium in the month of May for any big onroad traveling events to honor him.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I was waiting to start a thread until I had all the info put into a nice place, along with a fresh flyer.

The date was much debated. We pitched for June, but other races got those times. So our options were late in October or early in May.

Obviously we went with the early May due to issues with racers running carpet and the IIC. The early May time frame was , from the teams perspective the least impacting of the two.

We are excited about the race, and I am sure the racers that choose to attend will love our facility. We are planning a large tent and power/tables/chairs for all the out of town racers.

I am not sure why ROAR put my address down, as that is the club address and not the track address.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=100+S...ida+33411&z=18

100 Sweet Bay Lane, Royal Palm Beach Fl.

There are three airports that are within 90 minutes of the track. You will get the best deals flying into FTL, but WPB is what.. 8 miles from the track.

West Palm Beach - PBI
FT Lauderdale FLL
Miami MIA

We are working on the spec tire and more info to come soon.

Last edited by TimPotter; 01-22-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I tried PBI from LAX on Southwest and they only fly in on 4/27 and 5/4, not sure on any other part of the country though
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Fred you can also fly into OIA (Orlando International) You just won't be as close as those other airports, but you might have better luck finding a flight in from LAX.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Actaully Miami and FLL are good choices for direct from LAX. FLL is about 40 minutes from the track.

OIA is a good choice if you plan on going to Disney.. before or after the race. OIA is a bit over 3 hours from the track.

Originally Posted by Captcha
Fred you can also fly into OIA (Orlando International) You just won't be as close as those other airports, but you might have better luck finding a flight in from LAX.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Actaully Miami and FLL are good choices for direct from LAX. FLL is about 40 minutes from the track.

OIA is a good choice if you plan on going to Disney.. before or after the race. OIA is a bit over 3 hours from the track.
How smooth is the track for 12th scale?

How is the traction?

How far of a drive is Delray Beach?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

It's about 30 minutes from Delray... depending east or west Delray.

The track is great for 12th scale. it has few bumps, but the surface is smooth and high traction, low tire wear.

Originally Posted by NolanP
How smooth is the track for 12th scale?

How is the traction?

How far of a drive is Delray Beach?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
I said it because of the respect that we all have for Mike Reedy and what he did to improve this sport and how some of us don't think it shows much respect to hold a race in the same month that competes with HIS race. Is it fair to assume that you have never competed in an RROC? I believe if you did then you would understand how presitigious his race is and why we run it. That's why I said it shows a lack of respect. To me trying to avoid the rain by holding the Nationals in the same month as the RROC isn't a good enough reason, althougth I can appreciate if that is the reason, to me it will detract from the RROC. Hell I believe there should be a moratorium in the month of May for any big onroad traveling events to honor him.
I understand your concern and I was part of the team working with Tim on the date as the ROAR Competition Director. I can give you quite a few reasons. Scheduling 6 ROAR National events not allowed to conflict with IFMAR World events, rain in July as others have stated, not stepping on the Reedy Race as requested by Tim, IFMAR Onroad Worlds in Japan in October, sharing Race Management Team Resources with other Nationals venues for on-road and off-road, Electric On-Road Carpet in March, allowing travel time between venues if possible, trying to keep two weeks between national events leaves 26 weeks, no one wants to run in November, December or January, now we are down to 20 weeks.

Now that part is behind us, I look forward for having a successful event with everyone at Tim's facility.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

When do sign ups open up?

Is there going to be an on-site hobby shop?
How close is the local food/hotel? I know West Palm Beach downtown has some AWESOME seafood.
are those parking lots open for us to park in?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How close is the local food/hotel? I know West Palm Beach downtown has some AWESOME seafood.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are plenty of hotels close by, also tons of food. The track is about 15-20 minutes from downtown.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

We will have a flyer.. and bunch of updated info in the next week.. Please feel free to ask away...

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Me and my trinity D3.5 are ready!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Is there a Vintage Trans Am presence in the area ?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is a group of guys out of central florida that do a good deal of VTA. His name is Pete, rctech name, RCPAINTINGPETE. He is pretty big into VTA.
Originally Posted by trytowin
Is there a Vintage Trans Am presence in the area ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.