Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New VBC Flash-04 F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm pondering some aftermarket parts to make for this kit. If there were things you would change or improve upon, what would it be?
I was thinking a 0.25" axle conversion but it may involve many parts.
I previously designed a carbon axle that pinned the diff landing after the bearing so that joint does not bare the stress of an impact directly.
Another thing I want to see is an angled spacer for the upper arm mount or some other way to induce active caster into the upper arms.
Attached Thumbnails New VBC Flash-04 F1-pan-pod-comp.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoDog
I'm pondering some aftermarket parts to make for this kit. If there were things you would change or improve upon, what would it be?
I was thinking a 0.25" axle conversion but it may involve many parts.
The problem with converting it to 1/4" is you are making it into a WGT car. If you can't fit standard F1 wheels on it, it won't be legal for racing in most places. The UF1 rules are written to specifically exclude WGT size wheels and tyres.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The problem with converting it to 1/4" is you are making it into a WGT car. If you can't fit standard F1 wheels on it, it won't be legal for racing in most places. The UF1 rules are written to specifically exclude WGT size wheels and tyres.
You misunderstood what my intentions are.
The 6mm axle appears to be weak at the point where the diff plate and the carbon axle are joined. My solution is to move the position of the joint further beyond the supporting bearing thus taking the leverage away from the joint.
The picture I posted is of a car I am designing which incorporates this solution. Look at the motor side where the axle passes through the bearing. The aluminum portion extends beyond the bearing and is fully supported by the bearing.
I understand the need to maintain the F1 wheel and tire but the 1/4 inch conversion does not require changing of the hubs in any way. The 1/4" material can be machined to 6mm where the hubs attach at each end. The question is, will the 1/4" carbon be stronger than stock.
I make parts for Touring cars and some pan cars so I am interested in making parts for the Flash-04 since I now own one.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Regional Moderator

You'll also have to make new adjustable ride height adjusters, since they are sized for 6mmx10mm bearings.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
You'll also have to make new adjustable ride height adjusters, since they are sized for 6mmx10mm bearings.
Yeah, that goes without saying...besides, larger bearings couldn't hurt in that position.
come to think of it, since the stock bearings are a 6mm x 10mm flanged which is roughly 0.5mm larger in OD than the 1/4 x 3/8 normally used in pan cars. The bearing discrepancy might just be fixed with a simple adapter.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Back when F1 came out the first time there was a company called BME. They made conversion kits for the tamiya cars. (1/4 axles). I had the complete kits for years.I sold them to someone two years ago. It was simple an bearing adpator and the axle fit. The also had the hubs. I still have one axle left I think but nothing else.
I plan on running foam out doors and rubber on carpet. GQ mades foams which I have sitting here waiting for the kit. Should get the kit next week.
Question are ya'll running - wheel base and 2 cell regular or shorty lipos?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
I think you mean the original body post mounting tabs, like this:

That way, the body doesn't need to be trimmed and fits easier.
That's what a meant to say. To early in the morning and not enough coffee.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

You misunderstood what my intentions are.
The 6mm axle appears to be weak at the point where the diff plate and the carbon axle are joined. My solution is to move the position of the joint further beyond the supporting bearing thus taking the leverage away from the joint.
Nice solution, but couldn't this be done with a 6mm carbon axle, or turn the ends down to fit the 6mm bearings?

A simpler solution would be to make an axle the same size as standard, but in steel. The breakage is not a problem unique to the VBC, although the cross pin helps weaken the point. Several people I know have snapped the end off Tamiya F103 and F104 carbon axles, even though they don't have a cross pin and the end is just grub screwed on. The reliable fix has been to go to the Tamiya steel axle, no breakages and the extra weight helps smooth out power delivery and traction on rubber tyres.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Am hoping they make a steel axle...
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

So now the question is... does the Tamiya steel axle fit the VBC car?

I'm an F1 noob so the parts availability is something I need to catch up on.
Speaking of parts, has anyone contacted CRC to see if they have parts in stock yet? I understand VBC does but their prices are quite high and I would assume that CRC will offer them a little cheaper as they did the kit.

It would be nice to run F1 at the RROC at the end of the month but that may not be realistic due to parts availability.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Regional Moderator

I'm an F1 noob so the parts availability is something I need to catch up on.
Speaking of parts, has anyone contacted CRC to see if they have parts in stock yet? I understand VBC does but their prices are quite high and I would assume that CRC will offer them a little cheaper as they did the kit.

It would be nice to run F1 at the RROC at the end of the month but that may not be realistic due to parts availability.
Yes. The various F104 axles, including the steel axle, fit.

Limited Flash04 parts at CRC currently. Looks like only the CF parts: http://teamcrc.com/crc/modules.php?n...ategory_id=112
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Yes it will fit in the pod, but you will need the whole F104 diff assembly. The VBC diff parts won't fit on the diff joint that fits on the Tamiya axle.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Regional Moderator

The other guy that broke his axle is using the 3Racing diff assembly:

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=1412
Old 05-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

F1 car already for its first trip to the track today. There should be several more VBC cars along with a few others. Grand Finale at The Gate next weekend. F1 will be using Uf1 rules. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has anyone used the Tamiya spur gears on there vbc? I ask this because I have a lot of the Tamiya pinion gears(0.4's) from my F104w gt and don't want them to go to waste. Plus I would have 93t and a 104t spur gears. I would use my Tamiya pinion gears only but I think they would chew up the other spur gear that are non 0.4. Am I right on that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.