Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How difficult would it be to build an electric car able to reach 50mph top speed? >

How difficult would it be to build an electric car able to reach 50mph top speed?

How difficult would it be to build an electric car able to reach 50mph top speed?

Old 04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How difficult would it be to build an electric car able to reach 50mph top speed?

I've been a nitro guy for the longest time but lately I've started to get into electric. I have a 1/10 scale electric pan car but its RWD and its foam tires are terrible for running on the street.

I want to get a 4WD touring car like the associated TC4, mostly for parking lot fun or just running up and down my street. I may do some racing at a local track. However being a nitro guy top speeds of 30mph are just too slow for me. I'd like to be able to build a car to do at least 50mph.

Is this a realistic goal? What kind of motor, battery, and ESC would I need to be able to achieve this with a TC4? Or the better question is exactly what sort of complete setup would I need. I'd rather not go brushless (too expensive)

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not all that hard at all. Hacker brushless system. 14 cells and a pan car and your looking at 80+ if its geared right.
I also have a friend who radared his PRO 4 with a 10T motor, LRP quantum comp 2 ESC and 7 cell packs at 54 MPH. Thats on a police radar gun
Old 04-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Very interesting. Anyone else here have a TC4 or similar car thats been clocked over 50?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

dude i have a pro4 with a stock motor going about 37-40 it's reall easy to hit 50. Yeah electric is way more faster than nitro.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by axel
dude i have a pro4 with a stock motor going about 37-40 it's reall easy to hit 50. Yeah electric is way more faster than nitro.
LOL! Yeah, and my 19T goes 60mph uphill.

NormanNormal: your goal of 50mph is reasonable, but speed costs. Since you don't want to go brushless, a low turn mod motor (6 or 7 turns) and 7 cells (since the TC3/4 has slots for 7) should get you there. Of course, with all the money spent on the motor and esc, a brushless system wouldn't be that much more expensive, especially since brushes, cutting comms, and what not will add up fast on a brushed mod motor.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by micros_rock
LOL! Yeah, and my 19T goes 60mph uphill.

NormanNormal: your goal of 50mph is reasonable, but speed costs. Since you don't want to go brushless, a low turn mod motor (6 or 7 turns) and 7 cells (since the TC3/4 has slots for 7) should get you there. Of course, with all the money spent on the motor and esc, a brushless system wouldn't be that much more expensive, especially since brushes, cutting comms, and what not will add up fast on a brushed mod motor.
Wow I didn't realize I would need a motor with that low a number of turns. I thought something like a 12t would cut it.

OK say I did go with brushless, what kind of setup do you suggest that will allow me to reach my 50mph goal.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by NormanNormal
Wow I didn't realize I would need a motor with that low a number of turns. I thought something like a 12t would cut it.

OK say I did go with brushless, what kind of setup do you suggest that will allow me to reach my 50mph goal.
Well, with a brushless setup, that elminates the motor and ESC, so all there is left is the gearing and a really good 7 cell NiMH pack.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

im sure a very overgeared 540J could easily reach 50. just dont expect it to last the distance...
Old 04-17-2005, 11:51 PM
R/C Tech Founder

In the last touring car review I wrote, we had it equipped with a 10-turn single, a standard 3300 pack, and a typical racing ESC. Geared normally for the track, it hit about 44 mph on the radar. Doing 50 mph is no problem at all, and could be done with standard equipment.

I'd bet that with a 7-8 turn motor and the proper gearing, you could see 55 mph easily.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I radar clocked my Losi XXX-S

with my Novak brushless SS and the most I could get out of it was 37 m.p.h. but that was with a 6cell. I think it would take more that a 7-cell and a good low turn brushless.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If u want to go brushless LRP is comming out with a new ESC called the sphere that will run brushless and brushed motors. From what i read it has no motor limit on the brushed motors. As for the brushless end of things, its a sensor based system, this means that the power curve is alot smoother, at least thats my understanding. Now u dont get the motor with the esc, but reedy is also releasing their NEO motor that is said to be about as fast as an 9T , specificly to go with the LRP Sphere. Cost of all this, Sphere about 200.00 and NEO brushless motor about 100.00 . And as was stated earlier its gonig to lots of $ to go really really fast.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

9 TURN MOTOR, 7 CELL BATTERY, DONE.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I race at a Velodrome track in Indianapolis and have reached speeds of 70+ mph with a 6 cell pan car and a 8 turn motor. My four cell cars does about 65 mph on a 8 turn motor. The track is 1100 feet run line and I have done it in 9.9 secs which is well over 100 ft per second. Check out the web site at http://pdxracing.sytes.net/indexhome.html

Also of note I could maintain this type of speed for the length of the entire four min race.

-Monti-
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Cliff Lett did 115mph with a tc3 a few years ago with a brushed motor. Speeds over 50 are easily achieved by an electric touring car. Wether you go brushless or not you'll need to make a 7 to 10 cell pack to make the motor sing. make sure your drive train is free, and choose a body that has a good balance between stabilaty and free flowing. And the big thing gearing!!

no need for everyone to say brushless this or brushed that. Any motor is capable. Brushed at this moment can achieve this goel easier it still produces more power then brushless, but for longevity and being maintanence free the brushless is best in this situation if you dont want to hassle with maintaining a motor at peak performance.

I think Cliff's run is in the guiness records book.

Last edited by speedxl; 04-18-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Regional Moderator

Ive heard of a TC3 that was clocked at over 83 mph.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.