R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Thought on keeping things fair (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/69524-thought-keeping-things-fair.html)

imprsme 04-17-2005 03:15 PM

Thought on keeping things fair

I have seen more than a few post on here about certain guys that always run stock at big races. So yesterday I was talking with some race buddies and I came up with this idea. They loved it and and suggested I post this so here it is.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It would go something like what major sports have. Once you "Turn Pro" you would not be eliglble to do anything as an amature.

This could be used in R/C this way...

When a Racer signs ANY contract with ANY company, it is up to that RACER and COMAPNY to report it to ROAR. Then ROAR could use that to base whether the racer is an Amature, Sportsman or Pro. based on a system they would have to come up with. With it being noted right on the ROAR membership card. It could go something like this...

NO SPONSORSHIP = Amature
50-75% =Sportsman/Expert
Anything above that =PRO.

Then with that in place NO PRO./ Sportsman/Expert Driver would be allowed to run in Stk. Sportsman/Expert could run 19T and the PRO. woud be Limited to Mod.

This is a VERY rough Idea that was discussed for about 20mins. so it isn't perfect That is why I would like to see the RACERS oppinions/input on this.

Thanks,
Anthony S.

berger 04-17-2005 03:28 PM

In the UK, the series i have entered and a few friends, you cannot enter 27T if you are sponsored by a distributor, however you can be sponsored by a LHS. Anyone who is sponsored has to run 19T or Mod, but amatures are welcome to run in these classes too.

odawg315 04-17-2005 04:25 PM

i think its silly. id rather run stock against a sponcered driver cuz hed have to beat me with skill not motor. just cuz the motor is slower doesnt mean a pro shouldnt be allowed to drive it.

youll never get better unless your racing faster people. if you wanna beat slower amature drivers run in a novce class. that would be like telling tony stewart or kevin harvick he cant run busch series cuz the cars are slower.

Ortiz 04-17-2005 04:43 PM

If you can't beat "amateurs" on a consistent basis in stock. Then youll probably just be in the way of a really skilled driver running stock. I bet most pro drivers could beat many of us running a stock motor if we were running a mod motor.

I saw a good example of that 2 weeks ago. When a really skilled driver couldn't even finish a heat becuase of other drivers in his heat.

Another point about that idea is that it would give you goals. Most people would want to move up each tier. Almost every form of racing has different levels you have to move up through.

another thing...

Amateur:
If your not up to par, how much fun is to move over for the faster drivers every lap!! Not fun at all! Do you really call that racing.

Skilled driver:
How much fun is it when a amateur driver is bouncing off every wall, then uses your car as one also.

its just fair for both to seperate skill every once in a while.

What up Imprsme!

Originally posted by odawg315
i think its silly. id rather run stock against a sponcered driver cuz hed have to beat me with skill not motor. just cuz the motor is slower doesnt mean a pro shouldnt be allowed to drive it.

youll never get better unless your racing faster people. if you wanna beat slower amature drivers run in a novce class. that would be like telling tony stewart or kevin harvick he cant run busch series cuz the cars are slower.

odawg315 04-17-2005 04:55 PM

ok, except for the fact that in toy car racing they dont have "minor" leauges and "major" leauges. so if a sponcered driver wants to go to his favorite track to run and there are no other sponcered drivers to race he would get to watch?
no... its up to you to step up and be competative.

thats why at races we have an a main and a b main, so slower drivers will run with there skill level in the race.

your goal should be to get better. i dont car who im beating or if i beat anyone at all, i look at my lap times more than anything to see if im improving.

ChadCapece 04-17-2005 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Ortiz

I saw a good example of that 2 weeks ago. When a really skilled driver couldn't even finish a heat becuase of other drivers in his heat.

I wonder who that was lol

Another point about that idea is that it would give you goals. Most people would want to move up each tier. Almost every form of racing has different levels you have to move up through.

I think the problem people have is that some Factory guys are still running stock when they should be full time 19 or mod. ie. Lopez. Also, everyone knows that Joe Schmo can't get the batteries that the Factory guys can get. And even if he could buy 1.182 cells, then they would cost over $80 a pack. So stock becomes just as costly as 19 turn, but in 19 turn the mod guys move down to get extra track time.

So it IS time for some of those sandbaggers to leave their comfortable position in the Stock A-main, and strive to finish well in a faster class.

Jack Smash 04-17-2005 05:01 PM

Re: Thought on keeping things fair

odawg315

Originally posted by imprsme
I have seen more than a few post on here about certain guys that always run stock at big races.

imprsme 04-17-2005 05:01 PM

youll never get better unless your racing faster people. if you wanna beat slower amature drivers run in a novce class.

Witht that being said... How many new faces have you seen on the stand in the A-main in MOD?

The guys getting these 100% rides don't want to move up cause of fear of not making the Show! I could give you examples but I don't want this to turn into a name dropping thread.

For that matter how many new faces are you seeing in the A's in stk.

This Idea was to "help" move along the guys that are not so interested in moving up! if you get what I am saying.

You refered to NASCAR, I have never seen a Busch driver turn down a Nextel ride cause he couldn't win! They all have the same goal....Move up to the TOP level as fast as they can.

I hope you see what I am saying.

Ortiz 04-17-2005 05:03 PM

Chances are his "Favorite" Track will have some major competition. Making it fun/ a challenge for him.

I know if I go to a track(even if its a really nice track) and there is no skilled drivers(or atleast my level of skill, I guess I can race anywhere! :lol: ) that race there. Then Ill look to race elsewhere.

imprsme 04-17-2005 05:07 PM

ok, except for the fact that in toy car racing they dont have "minor" leauges and "major" leauges. so if a sponcered driver wants to go to his favorite track to run and there are no other sponcered drivers to race he would get to watch?
no... its up to you to step up and be competative.

thats why at races we have an a main and a b main, so slower drivers will run with there skill level in the race.

your goal should be to get better. i dont car who im beating or if i beat anyone at all, i look at my lap times more than anything to see if im improving.

You totally missed the whole point! If a sponsored driver attends a "club" race at his favorite track he can run what ever he would want to.

This would only apply to "BIG' Races. Examples Snowbirds, Novak, Cleveland, REEDY and ROAR Nationals.

Scrubb 04-17-2005 05:08 PM

Stock is fair with sponsered drivers racing. They still get a junk machine wound 27 turn single armature in a very poor tolerance can and endbell, just like everybody else. If your getting beat by sponsered drivers in stock class, its because their faster drivers and better tuners, thats it. How does being sponsered make you a faster stock class racer anyway? Most companies don't sponser stock racers anyways. Besides, ROAR could hardly handle any more responsibility. I think R/C has already been split up into too many classes. You only need three classes: Novice, Cost-Controlled (stock, spec, whatever you want to call it), and Open. Slower drivers just need to practice and teach themselves to get faster. The ones who are dedicated and take the hobby seriously will benefit from doing so. If its really that big of a deal, start calling the sponsers off these drivers, and tell them that its not fair that their driver is faster then the rest and is sandbagging to take home some prestigious stock racing trophies

Ortiz 04-17-2005 05:12 PM

Pro4,

Yes i know thats what Imprsme intended. Kinda got off track with some comments .:D

I would definitely like to see every really skilled "young gun" move up to full time Mod. It would definitely help the future of US RC drivers in international competition.

steve eaves 04-17-2005 05:16 PM

Originally posted by imprsme
Witht that being said... How many new faces have you seen on the stand in the A-main in MOD?

The guys getting these 100% rides don't want to move up cause of fear of not making the Show! I could give you examples but I don't want this to turn into a name dropping thread.

For that matter how many new faces are you seeing in the A's in stk.

This Idea was to "help" move along the guys that are not so interested in moving up! if you get what I am saying.

You refered to NASCAR, I have never seen a Busch driver turn down a Nextel ride cause he couldn't win! They all have the same goal....Move up to the TOP level as fast as they can.

I hope you see what I am saying.

You should not have a 100% ride if you only run stcok or 19t,a major problem here in the U.S is the "pro " guys need to be more involved with spotting talent and helping guys along instead of getting a mediocre buddy a hook up,i believe this is why the europeans whip our a$$ so bad at major events i have seen 100 threads on what is the best car,talent sponsorship and a good attitude are the biggest factors.I run a tc4 but reinhard schooled everyone at the worlds,reedy race so is tamiya the best car?No i don''t believe it is i think the euros strive to be better instead of being in a comfort zone,just what i think for you guys that get upset sometimes the truth hurts.

Steve eaves

Scrubb 04-17-2005 05:16 PM

the whole point of sponsering drivers is simple: Sponser the great drivers so they can win with your product so that other racers not winning will buy said product in an attempt at going as fast or faster than the sponsered driver.

Scrubb 04-17-2005 05:21 PM

i disagree with pros needing to be more involved with spotting new talent. Hobbyshops with race tracks need more customer loyalty, not more sponsered drivers. want a simple way to keep sponsered drivers in spec classes to minimum? Simply tell manufacturers, you will boycott their products if their sponsered racers enter into stock and spec classes.