Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity D3.5 !7.5 ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Trinity D3.5 !7.5 ?!?!

Hey guys I just installed a brand new Trinity D3.5 17.5 turn motor in my touring car along with a brand new ESC (Tekin RS)

I am in the middle of doing my initial setup and what not .....But I am getting this weird noise out of the motor almost like a grinding sound ?

Not sure what it could be ....It seem to happen when hittin the brake or if you punch the throttle hard or just feathering the throttle from a complete stop .....All of this has been on the bench I have not ran the car yet as I am still setting it all up . My gear mesh is fine I also took the spur gear out and did the same tests to see if the motor would make that sound and sure enough it was still there.

I am a little new too this and just want a clarification on if this is normal does it need to break in or do I have an issue .....I just heard the noise and it just doesnt seem right .

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Will,
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yunowill
Hey guys I just installed a brand new Trinity D3.5 17.5 turn motor in my touring car along with a brand new ESC (Tekin RS)

I am in the middle of doing my initial setup and what not .....But I am getting this weird noise out of the motor almost like a grinding sound ?

Not sure what it could be ....It seem to happen when hittin the brake or if you punch the throttle hard or just feathering the throttle from a complete stop .....All of this has been on the bench I have not ran the car yet as I am still setting it all up . My gear mesh is fine I also took the spur gear out and did the same tests to see if the motor would make that sound and sure enough it was still there.

I am a little new too this and just want a clarification on if this is normal does it need to break in or do I have an issue .....I just heard the noise and it just doesnt seem right .

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Will,
try backing off from the timing if you added any and see if it still happens
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sensor cable/and or sensor in motor/esc.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ESC/Motor wires in the correct order? A-A,B-B and C-C.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Double Check Wires and Sensor Cable

Originally Posted by 2xs
ESC/Motor wires in the correct order? A-A,B-B and C-C.
Is the motor run ok other than the noise?

Most likely you have it wired in-correct.... I am a 20+ year racer and still swap a wire by accedent every now and then... Makes the same grind or grunt type noise and will not run or harldy run.

If everything checks out and it is still making the grinding noise and the motor runs as it should but only makes noise, remove motor and examine drive-tran and motor, include break motor down and examine internal to make sure all is correct.

If motor is wired correclty it could be the rotor is not spaced correclty inside the motor and is touching our grinding on the sensor ring. Easy fix, just reshim the rotor about 1mm away from sensors if this is the problem.

Let us know if you need more help!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Okay I checked all my wiring and everything seems to be perfect in terms of all the terminals . This whole sensored thing is alittle new to me and I forgot to add to my original post that the motor was making this or these noises WITHOUT the sensor wire connected . However reason being that it was not connected was that when it was connected it instantly got hot as soon as the ESC was turned on so I unplugged it right away .

The speed controller still works without it connected and is still functioning throughout the modes and what not so I know it didnt fry the ESC ...It was not even plugged in long enough for it to do damage and being that it still works .... I am not sure what this issue could be or what to look at next .
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Okay I checked all my wiring and everything seems to be perfect in terms of all the terminals . This whole sensored thing is alittle new to me and I forgot to add to my original post that the motor was making this or these noises WITHOUT the sensor wire connected . However reason being that it was not connected was that when it was connected it instantly got hot as soon as the ESC was turned on so I unplugged it right away .

The speed controller still works without it connected and is still functioning throughout the modes and what not so I know it didnt fry the ESC ...It was not even plugged in long enough for it to do damage and being that it still works .... I am not sure what this issue could be or what to look at next .
how long are your motor mounting screws
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

but if you motor is getting hot like that with the sensor pluged in the you must have a bad motor. call trinty and let them know what is going on and I am sure they will take care of you.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

FYI. Trinity D3.5 17.5 motors are no longer ROAR legal. You can read the news release here --> http://www.roarracing.com/?cat=6
Originally Posted by ROAR Approvals
Approval status of Trinity D3.5 and D3.5-based OEM motors
Thursday, January 17th, 2013

After a great deal of consideration the ROAR Executive Committee has determined that the Trinity D3.5 motor and others based on the D3.5, do not comply with the organization’s required specifications for motors in the 17.5 stock class. The determination is based on the fact that motors being sold are built with wire that’s larger than maximum specification permitted. All of the random samples of the D3.5 based motors during the announced compliance checks tested with wire that’s larger than the maximum dimension. Rule 8.8.4.3.1 states clearly that “The three slotted stator must be wound with 17.5 turns of 2 strands of a maximum diameter of 20AWG or 0.813 mm per slot. A diameter of .813mm is the nominal measurement of 20AWG wire, and that it is the stated maximum wire diameter permitted. It’s on this basis that the Executive Committee made its determination.
Trinity D3.5 !7.5 ?!?!-d3p5_banned.jpg Trinity D3.5 !7.5 ?!?!-roar_logo.png
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

You can read the official ROAR news release here --> http://www.roarracing.com/?cat=6
Originally Posted by ROAR Approvals
Thursday, January 17th, 2013
Approval status of Trinity D3.5 and D3.5-based OEM motors
After a great deal of consideration the ROAR Executive Committee has determined that the Trinity D3.5 motor and others based on the D3.5, do not comply with the organization’s required specifications for motors in the 17.5 stock class. The determination is based on the fact that motors being sold are built with wire that’s larger than maximum specification permitted. All of the random samples of the D3.5 based motors during the announced compliance checks tested with wire that’s larger than the maximum dimension. Rule 8.8.4.3.1 states clearly that “The three slotted stator must be wound with 17.5 turns of 2 strands of a maximum diameter of 20AWG or 0.813 mm per slot. A diameter of .813mm is the nominal measurement of 20AWG wire, and that it is the stated maximum wire diameter permitted. It’s on this basis that the Executive Committee made its determination.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Who is ROAR?Trinity D3.5 !7.5 ?!?!-roar_logo2.png
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
You can read the official ROAR news release here --> http://www.roarracing.com/?cat=6
Or you can read it and the 13+ page soap opera that followed here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-5-17-5-a.html
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make 100% sure your motor A B C wires are in the correct order.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GET YOUR MONEY BACK OR EXCHANGE YOUR MOTOR WITH ANOTHER BRAND ASAP, BECAUSE THE 17.5T D3.5 MOTOR IS ILLEGAL !!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

If your positive all the wires are in the right place then it is likely you have a bad solder joint somewhere. I've had motors act strange in the past and everything looked fine. Re-soldered all the connections and it started working fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.