R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #301
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
I agree, if we (not me, speaking to location) are to pursue with the Midwest UF1 races; I think it should follow the rules laid out by the official governing body. There is a reason USVTA is what it is and UF1 is growing in size. This inaugural series is great and I thank Brad for pushing so hard to make it as awesome as possible. We all know there are and will be bumps in the road the first time you do anything and so far so good! If I were to cast a vote I would say push the next UF1 series to be identical to the current UF1 rules, tires rules and all.
Well put and I vote as well with the next UF1 series being identical to current UF1 rules, and tires for as long as we feel it works. We have a lot of followers and we should always listen to what they are saying
Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #302
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Rules

While it is easy to agree that there should be rules and the rules should be followed, everyone should remember a few key points. This is the first attempt at running UF1 in "our" area. There is a tremendous amount of planning and other work that has to be done to get something like this off the ground, let alone have everything perfect in the eyes of all those participating, and also the eyes of those not even racing in the series.

From my view point there is a lot of criticism and not many volunteers offering to help make things "better". Brad has pretty much set this up on his own and the majority of racers admit to having a great time and loving the format and racing. Let's give it some time and remember that offering to actually help make things better will do more than constantly complaining.

Remember that if there are rules and they are to be of any value at all, there would need to be some type of technical inspection to assure compliance...

Any body ready to give up so me of there raceday to be the tech person?

I had a great time, hope y'all did too!!!!!

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
While it is easy to agree that there should be rules and the rules should be followed, everyone should remember a few key points. This is the first attempt at running UF1 in "our" area. There is a tremendous amount of planning and other work that has to be done to get something like this off the ground, let alone have everything perfect in the eyes of all those participating, and also the eyes of those not even racing in the series.

From my view point there is a lot of criticism and not many volunteers offering to help make things "better". Brad has pretty much set this up on his own and the majority of racers admit to having a great time and loving the format and racing. Let's give it some time and remember that offering to actually help make things better will do more than constantly complaining.

Remember that if there are rules and they are to be of any value at all, there would need to be some type of technical inspection to assure compliance...

Any body ready to give up so me of there raceday to be the tech person?

I had a great time, hope y'all did too!!!!!

Ned
Well put Ned, and once again thank you for your contribution with the pit timer, it has been really cool.
Tech inspection has slipped through the cracks for the first couple of events, and I would like to be able to tech at least the podium finshers, if not the top 10. When it comes down to it we are all adults, we are supposed to know the difference between right and wrong, and that is why I have been trusting that everyone is running to the letter of the law. I am not a big ROAR fan, but they have gone to the trouble of testing motors, batteries and ESC's so using ROAR approved equipment seems like a logical choice to me. The important thing is that the racing so far has been really good, and if you look, overall the entire field is driving the best they ever have.
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #304
Tech Apprentice

Last thing you'll hear me do is complain about the series. I'm having too much fun. I'd be glad to help tech cars.

Not trying to start any argument, but I fail to understand running equipment that's not compliant whilst winning. Why Lance Armstrong the rules when one could win legitimately? Same thing as running boost in my eyes.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #305
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
Last thing you'll hear me do is complain about the series. I'm having too much fun. I'd be glad to help tech cars.

Not trying to start any argument, but I fail to understand running equipment that's not compliant whilst winning. Why Lance Armstrong the rules when one could win legitimately? Same thing as running boost in my eyes.
I should never have brought it up, again it was more to stop more oddball equipment from finding its way onto the track than to outlaw 1 motor.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #306
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I should never have brought it up, again it was more to stop more oddball equipment from finding its way onto the track than to outlaw 1 motor.
It's worth mentioning at the very least. Even if we'd tech'd at Harbor and noticed, it's not like we'd have sent anyone home without being able to race.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #307
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Working on some setup testing I found if I do not run my drivers helmet if improves my cars performance and lap times so what I new to know is.

Can I race without the helmet?

Also my car works well without a rear wing it steers more and improves my lap times.

Can I race without the rear wing?
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #308
Tech Apprentice

When do you plan on starting the new series? I live in nebraska so i need time to plan things.
Huskerfan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #309
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerfan1212 View Post
When do you plan on starting the new series? I live in nebraska so i need time to plan things.
We are trying to get through this one, but there is enough excitement that we will more than likely do another one. I have had people asking about an outdoor series this summer, and I am willing to look at that as well. When we set up the second indoor series I am thinking we will start in late October early November
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #310
Tech Apprentice

Had a blast at our local trac at the tcs race. Was off on time a couple of tenths a lap. Learned alto from rob. Looking to get out of town and race.
Huskerfan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #311
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector03cobra View Post
Working on some setup testing I found if I do not run my drivers helmet if improves my cars performance and lap times so what I new to know is.

Also my car works well without a rear wing it steers more and improves my lap times.

Anyone?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #312
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Anyone?
Taken from here: http://uf1rc.com/rules-and-regulations/

The UF1 series allows any Lexan Formula 1 body to be used for racing as long as it is a mass-produced and is readily available to buy at your favorite retailer. To keep with the “realistic” theme of UF1, all UF1 Formula 1 cars must use realistic front and rear wings. The front wings must be the original hard plastic front, Tamiya-type wing; no polycarbonate/Lexan wings allowed. Tamiya-style hard plastic rear wings must also be used but can have the side dams replaced with Lexan (Lexan must replicate exactly the piece it is replacing). The rear wing cannot be higher than the top of the air box. Diffusers are allowed but cannot be higher than the rear axle or protrude past the rear wings’ trailing edge.

Body must be completely intact as it was intended by the manufacturer. It cannot be ‘extra’ trimmed along the bottom or cut in a way to be lowered on the chassis. The air intakes may be cut out (in the airbox and side pods), but not bigger than the original scribe marks in the body. While add-on items like the mirrors and side air diffusers are not mandatory, it is encouraged to keep with the realistich-ness of Formula 1. A driver’s helmet must be used.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #313
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

Quote:
Anyone?
Relax already!

I am not the race organizer. He will have a final say when he is ready.

Helmet, Don't care much about it.

Rear wing... This is an F1 like series. And F1 cars do use rear wings. Yes, I think this should be a requirement. I never thought about taking the rear wing off, as that would be outside the spirit of the event.

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #314
Tech Addict

umm why was it even brought up about ROAR motors or why is it even a topic for this series?

Rules are posted pretty clear in this image.

Pretty cut and dry.

Now with that said as some have said its the first year for this lots of things will be can be learned, improved, and changed to improve things for this series
and changed for next year.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #315
Tech Apprentice

Simple: "For additional rules and information please refer to the UF1 rules and regulations at http://uf1rc.com/rules-and-regulations/"

My local track's club racing even requires use of a Roar motor.

You sure seem to be worked up for someone that hasn't shown up to a race yet.

The top guys don't seem to have any issue going fast with a wing and helmet.