Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UF1 MIDWEST

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

I spoke with pat at hobby stop west today and the track is going to be open for practice all day friday. He does plan on running his normal race program on sunday but will start the racing a hour earlier to try and get everyone out at a decent time.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
I don't mean to hijack your thread or your series. I do not know most of you. As much as I hope to race with you some day, for now I will just have to cheer you all on from the land of fruits and nuts. Please take my comments as suggestions not meant to offend.

One of the key concepts of the format is that "Every minute you are on the track from when your name is called in the qualifier to the when the last car crosses the finish line in the last heat of the day, it should count for something". If a racer qualifies poorly (for any reason) or has a bad race due to dumb luck or a dumb move, it counts for better or worse. It is a series. Hope for better luck and prepare for the next race with anticipation of a better outcome.

UF1 format is trying to emulate a 1:1 racing series. I never have been a big fan of throw outs, especially in a series. However, given that we all have lives outside of racing our toy cars it is good to know you can be a no show for a race day without necessarily blowing your opportunity within the series. A single race day throw out is a compromise. If you show up for a race and pay your fee it should count.

As we found out in our summer series, counting laps may be easier to score but may not lead to the most competitive mind set when racing.

The UF1 race format was designed by racers for racers to make use of the current state of the art capabilities of RC. It has revived the urge to race in many long time racers who had retired from competitive RC. Due in part to the popularity of the series, those new to RC have found they can race with those of similar skill level. It is a somewhat "evolving open source" format. By all means, do what works best for you.
and for that moment when someone steps on your car...... Or a backmarker takes you out by mistake

Its really not different then the point system used in most races now to curb rocket rounds

no different then multi mains at bigger events like the carpet worlds

The format is good and the idea and conecpt are great with that said it does not mean it cannot be made better for everyone.

The drop or best 2/3 just seems to be better for everyone the drop rounds can even be used as a tie breaker just an idea it just seems to promote a little more race then random luck .......See rules below

AND>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Did anyone bother to even read the rules???????? I mean really
From the UF1 web site

Throw Outs
There will be the addition of a 3-throwout rule and each throwout is per ROUND.

That means you can miss a complete race day and that would be your 3 throwouts, or you can throwout a round in Race 1, a round in Race 4 and a round in Race 5 (or however you choose to do it). Throwouts will be automatically scored, meaning we will drop your 3 worst performances at the end of the series. The throw-out rule does not affect the Constructor’s Championship points; all points for the season will be used.

Points are tallied up per round for a driver’s maximum of 300 points total for the day (302 if one of the drivers sets TQ).

With that said a person can drop his 2 bad rounds if he likes rather then a entire day

Unless your adding drops and to add "DAYS" rounds would add the ability to drop

Example 3 days drops out of the series is 9 rounds...... Thats the Rules thats how this is run.

"There will be the addition of a 3-throwout rule and each throwout is per ROUND. That means you can miss a complete race day and that would be your 3 throwouts, or you can throwout a round in Race 1, a round in Race 4 and a round in Race 5 (or however you choose to do it). Throwouts will be automatically scored, meaning we will drop your 3 worst performances at the end of the series. The throw-out rule does not affect the Constructor’s Championship points; all points for the season will be used."

Just to clear things up so in fact each Round is its own race per the rules
http://uf1rc.com/rules-and-regulations/
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

So with that said, according to the rules.
Each round must be scored and kept on its own.

A "days worth of drops is 3 rounds"
Is it 5-6 events?
each even is 2 days
I remember someone said 3 days can be dropped

Just so I can setup an example
6x2x3=36 rounds
3 days...9 rounds can be dropped according to the rules per UF1 web site

That makes for more that makes far more sense.

So the points may need to be redone to reflect the changes and scored per round.

So happy I could clear things up for everyone
Any questions just check out the rules on the above link I posted.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default UF1 Midwest

Jeff,

Maybe you could look at the UF1 Midwest as a first try and a work in-progress. I'm sure it will change as more races are run. Read Mr. Lightfoot's posts on some of the reasons behind the UF1 concept and why things are the way they are in Cali. Very informative.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
I spoke with pat at hobby stop west today and the track is going to be open for practice all day friday. He does plan on running his normal race program on sunday but will start the racing a hour earlier to try and get everyone out at a decent time.
....good to know.......leaving at 7:30 don't make momma happy...............Hats off to Pat for running a tight ship this year.........
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Jeff,

Maybe you could look at the UF1 Midwest as a first try and a work in-progress. I'm sure it will change as more races are run. Read Mr. Lightfoot's posts on some of the reasons behind the UF1 concept and why things are the way they are in Cali. Very informative.
Wait what?....

Did you read what I posted?

There no gray area the UF1 rules I posted are the rules.

Or idea as a drop was in fact correct becuse it just seemed strange to not have one when in fact there ARE drops of you just read the UF1 rules.

You can't change sides just because I found the rules to how they run these races

I am trying to follow the concept by posting the rules I am not making them up how I see fit or as I go along

Read the web page
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Lon,
Congrats on enjoying the UF1 Race this weekend! You have certainly come a long way from your original concerns!

I'm sure many of those interested in the Series see your point about dropping your worst race of the three each day. The type of driving you beleive it promotes may be bad or good depending on your perspective. Unfortunately "best 2 of 3" may or may not help with you racing with "Racer X", or at all. Depending on how the races work out, you may both have already had your bad race by the time you get to run in the same heat and again can't aford to "race hard", etc. You wouldn't want to do it in the first main, incase you have a bad second or third. Think about it...

The format is different, it is set up for a SERIES and therefore you race differently.

IMHO,
Ned
Ned read the rules each round is scored
Each round has the ability to be dropped
Per the web site seem link read the rules

Nothing more to be said if we can't follow the series rules why bother?
I am sorry I took 5 seconds out of my day to read and understand series rules when something just didn't seem right
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As of right now the UF1 Midwest series is not following the UF1rc rules being used on the west coast to a tee. For the UF1 Midwest each day is a race, meaning all rounds for the day count for that day. Because the Midwest series is using 3 different tracks it is allowing you to drop 3 complete days, not 3 races. The west coast uses 1 track for their series and each day is the equivalent of 3 race weekends of 1:1 f1. Each day is 3 separate races that count to the series. The Midwest series is a work in progress that led to a very fun weekend of racing f1 cars at a great track. Everything went smooth and there was nothing better than see 16 f1 cars at the track each day.

Thanks goes out to Brad for putting in the effort to get this series going in the Midwest and Eric for giving it a chance at his track. All and all I thought it was a success and can't wait to do it again.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
Ned read the rules each round is scored
Each round has the ability to be dropped
Per the web site seem link read the rules

Nothing more to be said if we can't follow the series rules why bother?
I am sorry I took 5 seconds out of my day to read and understand series rules when something just didn't seem right
I have not only been reading the UF1 rules for a couple of years, I have read the posts here and believe you have the problem in your assumptions. As has been pointed out so well by f1larry and also explained here:

larry- the midwest series is a little different from the west coast series. from the first page, it is a total of 8 races (4 weekends, 2 race days per weekend).

You may drop 3 races (each day is considered a race and your total from the 3 15 minute races are added together for a total for the day).

I beleive that is what Brad intended for this first series, as it came together fairly quickly.

I don't know but it seems clear to me...

OUT............................................... ......
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

I am going to be flat out honest an tell you that's the wrong way to do it and it doesnt prompt the series well.

So your saying 3 tracks 2 days 6 races and 50% is the drop rate?

Better would be 2 days drops to promote travel if indeed its 3 tracks
And 6 rounds

They really did get it right (UF1)it's a shame that someone is picking and choosing rules when they clearly lack the experience and knowledge to understand what they are doing

And then to call it UF1

Even more so how important it is to allow the flexibility of rounds an scoring each round as its own thing when people are traveling

You have several very experienced racers saying its not good the uf1 says its not good per there rules Have it right you should follow them

So it's really not UF1 the standard for there series has been thrown out the window
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

I have not only been reading the UF1 rules for a couple of years, I have read the posts here and believe you have the problem in your assumptions. As has been pointed out so well by f1larry and also explained here:

larry- the midwest series is a little different from the west coast series. from the first page, it is a total of 8 races (4 weekends, 2 race days per weekend).

You may drop 3 races (each day is considered a race and your total from the 3 15 minute races are added together for a total for the day).

I beleive that is what Brad intended for this first series, as it came together fairly quickly.

I don't know but it seems clear to me...

OUT............................................... ......
I don't expect you to understand Ned you just said you didn't read the uf1 rules
And you don't race enough or enough in this area to fully grasp how f1 is going

That is not and I quote "how they do it in Cali" a frase often dropped at the track

It's great to have a series and in the short time it was put together
But killing the "round drop" ......dumbbbbbb idea for everyone
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

UF1 has been run under a few different scoring methods since inception.

The current series is run at a single track like each winter series has been. The summer point series was last run at 8 different tracks. Unlike the current winter series, the last summer series had no throw outs.

I believe Tony's intention for the throw outs for the current series is that three individual 15 minute races (or rounds) will be disregarded from the total score from the series. The confusion is with the word "round".

What scoring method was posted for your series?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

So much for a drama-free series....

Here's the photos I got that turned out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7011350...7632750393832/
(Thanks for the tires Rick!)

I had a blast all weekend and placed way better than I had expected. Can't wait for Toledo!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 240Z

What scoring method was posted for your series?
Thats a good question. I think I recall being told some where on here to reference the uf1 rules. This is not a huge deal. It just something some of us would like to get some clarity on. We just need to hammer some of these little details out so EVERYONE knows what rules we are using and not using. We've all been told there is 2k on the line for this series so we should atleast have the rules hammered out before it gets down to the nitty gritty. Even at the race there seemed to be a great deal of confusion on how to tally up points.

Another question I asked that was never really answered is what happens if someone doesnt pit twice ? Also does someone suffer the same punishment if they break there car before their last pit stop ?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy
So much for a drama-free series....

Here's the photos I got that turned out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7011350...7632750393832/
(Thanks for the tires Rick!)

I had a blast all weekend and placed way better than I had expected. Can't wait for Toledo!
Thanks for sharing the pictures! It was really nice meeting you this weekend and I look forward to seeing you in toledo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.