R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #136
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
What time do you anticipate the racing to be over with on Sunday? I start a new job that following Monday, dont really want to be getting home past midnight Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Good question, that may decide Toledo for me too.
That is something that will depend on the event organizers and track owner as to what time they want to start the day at; I agree that with travel times we should aim for a decent completion time on Sunday.

All depends on how many entries show up. I would imagine that after the first round of UF1-Midwest there is an idea of how many races run per hour can be run so that should be used as a base for all the tracks.

We had a 7 heat race day yesterday that started at 11:30 and was over by 4:30; enough time in between rounds to make sure everything was charged and had time for setup changes and between 2nd and 3rd rounds and mains we had around 10 minutes to practice. Hobby Stop West has stepped up their game this year and for the most part have kept the programs running efficiently; 100% improvement over last season.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
What time do you anticipate the racing to be over with on Sunday? I start a new job that following Monday, dont really want to be getting home past midnight Sunday.
Quit whining. I'll be the one driving so you can sleep on the way back.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #138
Tech Master

How about posting some more race info?
Are results posted some where?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #139
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
Quit whining. I'll be the one driving so you can sleep on the way back.
Ha, getting home at 4AM IS NOT an option this time, LOL!

Where can we find the series results and points standings?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #140
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I had a great time this weekend. Wish I could have stayed for both days. The format and pit stops are a lot of fun. Reminds me of gas racing with pit stop strategy.

See everyone in two weeks in Toledo.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #141
Tech Fanatic

I believe they were posting results and other stuff on their Facebook page this weekend
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #142
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

I had a great time this weekend! The people racing and the people running the track were great. I think the race was run very well and props two the guys who worked pit lane for us all weekend. They did a great job! Neds pit lane weapon of mass destruction worked great as far I could tell.

If anyone was worried about not being fast enough to race in this series have no worries. The skill level of racing was from top notch to rookies which is great. Everyone had someone to race with that matched their skill level. I think everyone learned some new tricks this weekend and got faster. If you have a F1 car you should be at the next race in toledo. It should be one of the biggest F1 races in the midwest in a long time.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Points

Here is what the points for this weekend look like. Please excuse the crudeness of the spreadsheet. I know just enough about them to be dangerous to myself and my computer

points sheet removed pending approval of series organizer

Last edited by ercwhtsd; 02-12-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: pending points approval
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #144
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
That is something that will depend on the event organizers and track owner as to what time they want to start the day at; I agree that with travel times we should aim for a decent completion time on Sunday.

All depends on how many entries show up. I would imagine that after the first round of UF1-Midwest there is an idea of how many races run per hour can be run so that should be used as a base for all the tracks.

We had a 7 heat race day yesterday that started at 11:30 and was over by 4:30; enough time in between rounds to make sure everything was charged and had time for setup changes and between 2nd and 3rd rounds and mains we had around 10 minutes to practice. Hobby Stop West has stepped up their game this year and for the most part have kept the programs running efficiently; 100% improvement over last season.
I would suspect a long day of racing there are going to be atleast 4 heats that run for 15 min. if not more. So our normal race day is around 7 heats then each round of F1 is going to take well over a hour and thats only if we have 4 heats. We very well could have 6 if everyone shows up. I don't think there should be more than 6 cars in a heat of F1 because of the way points are scored in this series you have to finish every race. More than 6 cars in a heat will make it very tough to race for 15min and finish without breaking.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #145
Tech Fanatic

One change I myself would like to see in the future is your two best races on each day being scored and not all three. Some times your car gets broken by no fault of your own and you are really punished points wise for not finishing. I don't feel the way this format is run right now reslly promotes racing. It promotes going out and driving down the center of the track and stay away from everyone else. I had really been looking forward to racing with The Robk but once we both got on the track at the same time we couldnt race each other in fear of taking each other out of the points race for the day. Just something for us as a group to think about for the future.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #146
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default UF1 Midwest Series Races 1 and 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I had a great time this weekend! The people racing and the people running the track were great. I think the race was run very well and props two the guys who worked pit lane for us all weekend. They did a great job! Neds pit lane weapon of mass destruction worked great as far I could tell.

If anyone was worried about not being fast enough to race in this series have no worries. The skill level of racing was from top notch to rookies which is great. Everyone had someone to race with that matched their skill level. I think everyone learned some new tricks this weekend and got faster. If you have a F1 car you should be at the next race in toledo. It should be one of the biggest F1 races in the midwest in a long time.
(For the guys who were there!)

(For those who were not....)
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default You've come a long way!

Quote:
One change I myself would like to see in the future is your two best races on each day being scored and not all three. Some times your car gets broken by no fault of your own and you are really punished points wise for not finishing. I don't feel the way this format is run right now reslly promotes racing. It promotes going out and driving down the center of the track and stay away from everyone else. I had really been looking forward to racing with The Robk but once we both got on the track at the same time we couldnt race each other in fear of taking each other out of the points race for the day. Just something for us as a group to think about for the future.
Lon,
Congrats on enjoying the UF1 Race this weekend! You have certainly come a long way from your original concerns!

I'm sure many of those interested in the Series see your point about dropping your worst race of the three each day. The type of driving you beleive it promotes may be bad or good depending on your perspective. Unfortunately "best 2 of 3" may or may not help with you racing with "Racer X", or at all. Depending on how the races work out, you may both have already had your bad race by the time you get to run in the same heat and again can't aford to "race hard", etc. You wouldn't want to do it in the first main, incase you have a bad second or third. Think about it...

The format is different, it is set up for a SERIES and therefore you race differently.

IMHO,
Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Lon,
Congrats on enjoying the UF1 Race this weekend! You have certainly come a long way from your original concerns!

I'm sure many of those interested in the Series see your point about dropping your worst race of the three each day. The type of driving you beleive it promotes may be bad or good depending on your perspective. Unfortunately "best 2 of 3" may or may not help with you racing with "Racer X", or at all. Depending on how the races work out, you may both have already had your bad race by the time you get to run in the same heat and again can't aford to "race hard", etc. You wouldn't want to do it in the first main, incase you have a bad second or third. Think about it...

The format is different, it is set up for a SERIES and therefore you race differently.

IMHO,
Ned
Its different forsure. You should try racing one of these race.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #149
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

IT was great to see so many F1 cars on the track this weekend. We even saw the elusive FGX on Saturday!

The pit timer was great, and thanks to the pit stewards for a great job all day.

Don't worry Lon, I think we will be able to race next time we meet.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #150
Tech Master

Quote:
I don't mean to hijack your thread or your series. I do not know most of you. As much as I hope to race with you some day, for now I will just have to cheer you all on from the land of fruits and nuts. Please take my comments as suggestions not meant to offend.

One of the key concepts of the format is that "Every minute you are on the track from when your name is called in the qualifier to the when the last car crosses the finish line in the last heat of the day, it should count for something". If a racer qualifies poorly (for any reason) or has a bad race due to dumb luck or a dumb move, it counts for better or worse. It is a series. Hope for better luck and prepare for the next race with anticipation of a better outcome.

UF1 format is trying to emulate a 1:1 racing series. I never have been a big fan of throw outs, especially in a series. However, given that we all have lives outside of racing our toy cars it is good to know you can be a no show for a race day without necessarily blowing your opportunity within the series. A single race day throw out is a compromise. If you show up for a race and pay your fee it should count.

As we found out in our summer series, counting laps may be easier to score but may not lead to the most competitive mind set when racing.

The UF1 race format was designed by racers for racers to make use of the current state of the art capabilities of RC. It has revived the urge to race in many long time racers who had retired from competitive RC. Due in part to the popularity of the series, those new to RC have found they can race with those of similar skill level. It is a somewhat "evolving open source" format. By all means, do what works best for you.