R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #121
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Super unhappy.

Bought one of these, and it's possessed.
I can't engage failsafe mode, and if I power off the transmitter, the car goes wide open throttle in reverse.

The first couple times I ran it, it would glitch in reverse when I pressed it and stay there. I redid the ESC setup procedure per the instructions, and that seemed to stop the reverse glitching at power off.

I'd rebind it, but apparently the transmitter this car used to come with was too nice, and they have replaced it with this super crappy TF-11, which is the cheapest and worst transmitter I've seen in my life. The binding procedure in the TF-11 instructions are basically "turn on the transmitter than the receiver". Wow. There's a SW button on the RF-11 receiver that isn't responding when I try to tap it to set up the failsafe setup. So my thought is the receiver is bad?

To test this theory, I pulled out an old Team Associated transmitter and receiver. They are working together properly, and when I shut the transmitter off, the AE receiver box goes red and shuts down the car.

My assumption is that I can put a Spektrum receiver in there, bind it to my master transmitter, and forget about this nightmare till HPI tech is open on Monday and they can straighten this mess out? I'd just leave the wires that go to the bat port disconnected.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #122
Tech Adept

PS: Does the ESC on this car chirp every several seconds?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #123
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Super unhappy.

Bought one of these, and it's possessed.
I can't engage failsafe mode, and if I power off the transmitter, the car goes wide open throttle in reverse.

The first couple times I ran it, it would glitch in reverse when I pressed it and stay there. I redid the ESC setup procedure per the instructions, and that seemed to stop the reverse glitching at power off.

I'd rebind it, but apparently the transmitter this car used to come with was too nice, and they have replaced it with this super crappy TF-11, which is the cheapest and worst transmitter I've seen in my life. The binding procedure in the TF-11 instructions are basically "turn on the transmitter than the receiver". Wow. There's a SW button on the RF-11 receiver that isn't responding when I try to tap it to set up the failsafe setup. So my thought is the receiver is bad?

To test this theory, I pulled out an old Team Associated transmitter and receiver. They are working together properly, and when I shut the transmitter off, the AE receiver box goes red and shuts down the car.

My assumption is that I can put a Spektrum receiver in there, bind it to my master transmitter, and forget about this nightmare till HPI tech is open on Monday and they can straighten this mess out? I'd just leave the wires that go to the bat port disconnected.
To properly bind and program the esc, turn on the radio with the throttle fully pulled on the transmitter then turn on the car. It will beep three times. The push to full reverse. It'll beep three times again. After that, return the throttle to the neutral position and it'll beep three times again. That's it. The esc does beep intermittently to let you know it's still powered on.
MaxxWrecker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #124
Tech Adept

Thanks very much for commenting.

I did that correctly and all the signals sounded off properly. Car still goes WOT reverse transmitter when powered off, so I assume the receiver is bad.

Swapped to my DXC4 and a Spektrum 2 channel receiver: Now not a hint of drama. I'll get the other sorted out with HPI. If not, no big loss.

On topic of the car, never had an RC like this. I love the tire compound and they just slay on tarmac. I think a lot of the cost is in the body, and decals. It's easily the best looking RC I've ever owned. Got a beater Evo body en route from another member, probably will bash with that a lot. I hate to even scratch this sexy Fiesta body. It's not really too quick on 2S.

This little guy can't even make it up the driveway without a tiny bit of scrape, so my indoor RC track is OUT. There's no way it'll handle the angles on those ramps.

PS: This car is TINY!

PPS: Velcro mod for the win. Clips sit way too close to the body. The velcro infinitely faster to change.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #125
Tech Adept

Three day old car drama: Take two.

Pretty sure this is the first and last HPI product I'll buy. Called into customer service Friday, they had all gone home. The lady that picked up was super nice and tried to help, but couldn't resolve the issue. I waited 20 minutes on that call.

Today, I waited for a technician for 20 minutes and we determined what I already know: The receiver is bad. Sorry about the nice TF-40 transmitter in the reviews, your $500 car now comes with the crap TF-11 transmitter and receiver.

HPI is owned by Hobbico, who owns Tower (where the car came from). They were able to pull up my information, and will replace the TF-11 receiver with one that works. Should ship out sometime next week.

At this point, I don't really want the car anymore, and would like to exchange for something else. Call up Tower. Lady that answered there also super nice! Explained I had taken the car out and run slightly, defective, etc. Told her I don't want a return, but an exchange. She gave me a number to call about an exchange, but lo and behold, it's the same number I already waited 20 minutes each time for help. I got "wait time will be more than 10 minutes" and hung up, because don't have the time, and I don't think they'll help me anyway.

Don't know if this car is worth sticking with or not.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It sounds to me like the failsafe is set for the nitro (full reverse/brake). I don't know why the techs didn't realize that after talking to you for 10 seconds...

Anyway you need to download the instructions here: http://www.hpiracing.com/assets/docu...1-glb-m-v1.pdf

Look at page #7- You will need to turn the radio and the receiver on and then (with the throttle in neutral) hold down the setup button on the receiver until it lights up solid then release the setup button. This will set the failsafe to the neutral position.

Once you do that it should not go in full reverse when you shut off the radio.

Give that a try and let me know if you still like the car afterwards ;-)
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #127
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
It sounds to me like the failsafe is set for the nitro (full reverse/brake). I don't know why the techs didn't realize that after talking to you for 10 seconds...

Anyway you need to download the instructions here: http://www.hpiracing.com/assets/docu...1-glb-m-v1.pdf

Look at page #7- You will need to turn the radio and the receiver on and then (with the throttle in neutral) hold down the setup button on the receiver until it lights up solid then release the setup button. This will set the failsafe to the neutral position.

Once you do that it should not go in full reverse when you shut off the radio.

Give that a try and let me know if you still like the car afterwards ;-)
Tried this multiple times. Receiver is bad on mine. I cannot get the LED on the receiver to illuminate no matter what. New receiver en route from HPI next week.

That basher Evo body is out for delivery from USPS today, and I have my Spektrum transmitter and receiver bound to the car now. I'll feel way less apprehensive about bashing it with that super nice Fiesta body off.

It has grip for days, but is nowhere near as fast as my daughter's box stock Slash 4x4, both on 2S. That Slash with harder tire compound is a lot more playful and can go anywhere/everywhere without scraping with the higher center of gravity.

I've not fully given up on the WR8, but the defective receiver and the radio downgrade from the TF-40 to the TF-11 is a major piss off.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #128
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Tried this multiple times. Receiver is bad on mine. I cannot get the LED on the receiver to illuminate no matter what. New receiver en route from HPI next week.

That basher Evo body is out for delivery from USPS today, and I have my Spektrum transmitter and receiver bound to the car now. I'll feel way less apprehensive about bashing it with that super nice Fiesta body off.

It has grip for days, but is nowhere near as fast as my daughter's box stock Slash 4x4, both on 2S. That Slash with harder tire compound is a lot more playful and can go anywhere/everywhere without scraping with the higher center of gravity.

I've not fully given up on the WR8, but the defective receiver and the radio downgrade from the TF-40 to the TF-11 is a major piss off.
Well shit then. At lest they are replacing the receiver, I agree it sucks they went to the TF-11... especially with the price of the RTR. I guess the KB licensing must be costing them an arm and a leg. lol.

BTW I picked up a beater 2013 KB body and wheels for my summer WR8 build. I figured I'd run in style this year ;-) Plus I didn't want to wait for the Subaru bodies to be released in the states. Who knows when that will happen!

There are a few wheel sets out there that have a bit harder compound on them. One of them is the tamiya TGX rally block tires. They are not easy to find but they are worth the look if you want to do some major drifting with the car.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #129
Tech Adept

Mike, you see that 2014 KB body? And those wheels? Hot!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #130
Tech Regular

Oh yes they are amazing...

The HPI KB TurboMac wheels are also 2 piece,... wicked cool...

It's funny the UK guys are not really into the new body & wheel combo, I think they are awesome. It's also funny that they can already order the bodies and wheels over there, check out ModelSport UK.

They can also order the Subarus (both liveries!!) and both Subaru wheel sets! Now why the flying HECK can't I order these same parts from Tower Hobbies?? It blows my F%ing mind!

Are you listening Hobbico??? Why are you selling these parts to the Redcoats! GRC is hugely popular here in the states! Bring me my bodies before I lose interest and start buying Traxxas crap...

/RANT
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #131
Tech Adept

Are these any good, or total crap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C2549...item58bf4e7117

I think this car can be good, but it needs so much help out of the box. The suspension is way too soft. It'll drag the nose on normal braking.

My eventual aim is to play with the 4wd SCTs on this indoor track. There are some decent jumps here, and I am concerned that I should just get rid of this car instead of dumping money into it if it can't handle the approach angles to the ramps without ripping the front bumper off. I've already gone up a peg in the front, but afraid to even try it on this track.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread-xtrem.jpg  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #132
Tech Regular

Well you have to remember it is a car not a sct. It is made for scale rallying (which is basically flat ground at the scale of the chassis).

For gymkhana type driving the suspension is actually tuned pretty much perfect. At most it could use slightly stiffer springs and oil front and rear.

I haven't tried the integy shocks myself but they look like they will add in some ride height adjustability which will help it off road. I just don't know for sure if the springs are tuned properly for the weight or not.

For my build I'm going with the HPI 103395s and probably the 103348 spring sets. They should give a good combo for the wr8.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #133
Tech Adept

Thanks Mike!

PS: We run buggies on this track too, all 1/10th scale stuff. I saw a Jang review where he was jumping the WR8 with only a bumper trim, and it seemed to be good.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you want to play with the big boys on the SCT track, you perhaps should have considered the DRX. A bit bigger, more ground clearance. Both the HPI and DRX get great reviews on other forums, so stick with it if you like the car in general.

That new KB livery is awesome! Wonder whether there's room in my garage for one....
Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

I found a brand new wr8 nitro the ford rally car has everything but the radio and receiver, still new never run, what would it be worth thanks
zaraz is online now   Reply With Quote