R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

The WR8 Ken Block addition will be my next purchase, once places get it in stock again! It'll go nice with my HPI lineup! All my vehicles are HPI, and I am happy with all of them! I converted my Sprint 2 to a rally car, put a 3300kv motor in my Coyote, and put 4 wheel steer in my Wheely King, along with a Firebolt 15T. I originally had my 3300kv in the WK, but it was TOO much motor for the truck. It works very nice in the Coyote, though.
WRXGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anybody done any hop ups like alloy shocks etc.?
H0LESH0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dont know about alloy shocks but i use these Front and Back :

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Shocks-2-Slash

use these for mounting:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...g-Hardware-Kit
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krits View Post
Dont know about alloy shocks but i use these Front and Back :

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Shocks-2-Slash

use these for mounting:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...g-Hardware-Kit
How'd they go? Notice large difference?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ride height is being maintained while acceleration (no squating) but still feels smooth enough on medium jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9gYLCI5JTQ
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Anyone try this car on an off road SC track?
WRXGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #22
Sao
Tech Rookie

Picked one of these up recently and it is a BLAST
I love the fact it can be used on pretty much any type of surface even with the stock tyres. It's quickly become my go to basher that gets slung in the car so I can stop off on the way home from work and rip a couple of lipos through her XD
Sao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

Hi guys. From Melbourne Australia. Bought the KB edition last week but yet to run it. Waiting on the Turnigy 2s and 3s Lipos to arrive from Hobby King Sydney. Go the charger and cant wait. I hear the car is a bit too soft at the back and tends to crash. Some people suggested heavier shock oil but I saw someone re-position the position of the shock top by moving it to the lower hole (hope it makes sense what I said) meaning the car sits higher or basically due to the mass it will compress more in idle position causing it to travel less under load. Anyone tried this?
NCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

I am new to RC and just joined. Two of my friends and I just bought these and I want to change bodies so I can be different. Also, are Nitro bodies close enough to use on this RC?

I have noticed tires and rims are out of stock everywhere. What are our options (if any) for alternative tire and rim setups? I would prefer to take my body and tires off and save them for later and throw some basic stuff on to learn.

Thank you in advance. Tim
Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
I am new to RC and just joined. Two of my friends and I just bought these and I want to change bodies so I can be different. Also, are Nitro bodies close enough to use on this RC?

I have noticed tires and rims are out of stock everywhere. What are our options (if any) for alternative tire and rim setups? I would prefer to take my body and tires off and save them for later and throw some basic stuff on to learn.

Thank you in advance. Tim

to answer the second part of your question...any of the 26mm on road wheels and tires will fit. you might be limited in tires you can choose from for off-road use though as most of those size tires are for on-road/asphalt/carpet.
technically any of the 200mm bodies will fit, but your mounting posts sit higher than on-road/touring cars. I think there is a way to modify them to fit standard 200mm bodies. You may want to verify or look into that more though.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
Yes see Team BlueGroove on ebay. They sell a few 300mm wheelbase bodies for the Super Nitro Rally.

This is my WR8 with the SNR wrx body:

It looks ok but will look a bit better with the larger 57mm tires. I could only find the WR8 Nitro 48mm wheels and tires in stock so I went with them. I'll pick up a set of the flux rims when I can find a set of flux tires in stock somewhere.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

That doesn't actually look to bad.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0LESH0T View Post
That doesn't actually look to bad.
Yeah it is okay. It will definitely look a lot better with the 2.2in wheels and tires on it though. When I get a set in I'll snap a picture of it and post it up.

I also talked to one of the guys at Team BlueGroove and he mentioned they were looking into producing more bodies and even possible an inner protector for the WR8. He said it would probably not be until the fall or later but it is still pretty exciting. I'm looking forward to them.

The 2.2in tires for reference with the same body:
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Well seeing as it is impossible to get a set of the new 2.2" flux tires without sacrificing an arm and a leg I ended up picking up a set of the 2.2" proline road rage tires and I put them on the black wr8 tarmac rally rims. I belted the tires with some strapping tape before mounting them and surprisingly that seems to be working pretty well.

The tires are a bit larger in diameter and width but they work for the application. Here is what they look like:

Front:

Rear:

So with the high COG they instantly traction roll on any clean surface but on loose gravel, dirt and sandy/dirty pavement they are quite fun to tool around on and so far they are holding up quite well with the abuse of a 3s battery.

On the topic of tires I have also started using my old Tamiya TGX Rally Block tires as my go to set up. They are great on clean pavement and after 4 years of use on my various Super Nitros and Super Nitro Rally cars they are holding up excellent.

The TGX tires are just hard enough to be able to drift around and do massive power slides on pretty much any surface. All the while they have just enough grip so they are not totally useless for keeping the car pointed in the direction you want to go. They look pretty good too.

I could use a new set of rims but HPI doesn't seem to think they are worth saving from the chopping block which is a damned shame.

Lastly... I found some old HPI Nitro MT tires in the basement. I bolted them up and they clear everything including the steering in the front lock to lock. I had some fun ripping around the backyard with them today.

So hows everyone else enjoying the WR8? I for one love it. I am just a bit worried about the parts availability though seeing as HPI still hasn't been able to deliver a set of tires to anyone on the planet. They could have a good thing here if they put some support into it and started producing tires and even some nice bodys for it. I for one would love to see them produce something like the Group B rally car bodies for it... I'd be all over that!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
Tech Elite

I would say most of the parts for the car are in stock at Tower Hobbies. The tires/rims aren't in stock there but I've found that they tend to last a good while so I can afford to wait on tires until they're really toasted.

In terms of tires, I'm trying to find a tire that can give me good bite off-road. I have the "gravel" tires but they're pretty much slicks since the spacing between the lugs is so tight. They look more true to scale but don't offer any noticeable increase in off-road traction. Can anyone recommend a grippy tire?

What have people been doing to counteract the immense traction rolling? What shock oil weight are you using in the stock shocks?