R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #136
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
What are the specs you're running? Battery? Motor kv? ESC?

I've been running the Castle Mamba Max Pro with the 3800kv combo, always on 3s. It's an awesome combo, I usually run a 16 tooth pinion but when the weather gets cool I have run up to a 20t and the car just hauls butts!

Here is some video of it rocking the 20t pinion: http://youtu.be/A9noK35tKro

Mike
Hey Mike,

Sorry to bump an older post. What about something like this instead for a bit lower cost? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBBMA&P=ML

I was considering something like it for my Tekno SCT410 build, but thought it might be appropriate to make the WR8 more fun so I don't succumb to the temptation to sell it.

This car is very slow on 2S. I don't have any 3S batteries yet, but based on a few posts of people having their ESC thermalling, I don't even want to go there.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #137
Tech Adept

This car went from boring to wow on 3S. Needs way stiffer suspension. Traction steer even once rolling is scary. Brake dive scraped the body, up front even lifted a peg!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #138
Tech Adept

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.VQb0j2DwtR0

Got these and 40wt oil coming, along with some off road tires for fun. We'll see what happens!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #139
Tech Adept

Shocks will be here tomorrow. In the interim, I raised up the front stock shocks with tall clips and the body posts as far as they'll go. The housing is at the top of the post, so I have velcro there and elsewhere on the body. The bad part of that is major wheel gap in the front. The good part is that the body didn't have to be trimmed at the bumper and it doesn't scrape at brake dive or light jumps. Really happy so far!

PS: This thing on 3S is just redonkulous, can't get over it. It would wipe out my 4S powered RC8.2e in any contest of acceleration. Top speed for otherwise box stock car is just crazy. These tires are nuts. I love this little car!

Last edited by Noize; 03-18-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #140
Tech Adept

I'm all alone in this thread now, waah!
My fan isn't turning on the stock ESC that I can tell. I am going to drive exclusively on 3s, so I predict a new motor and ESC when it gets warmer outside. I try to drive with sanity and don't let temps get too hot or drive too long. Have not caused the ESC to thermal yet; we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #141
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was on the lookout for lexan bodies that would go with the WR8 besides the HPI and TBG\mci_racing since they are pricey. I tried the Associate ProRally body, which was $35 with decals, and it was too big in terms of width and wheelbase. Considering the Losi Ten Rally was bigger, I didn't bother buying that for test fitting. I'm waiting for the Exceed AceTiger Rally body to be available. Looking at the reviews, it looks like it'll fit the WR8.

In terms of wheels, the Associate ProRally would fit but front tires at full steering angle will hit the chassis when the tires expand from rotation.

The Losi Ten wheel\tire fit pretty good since it is 7mm smaller in diameter compared to the ProRally but 17mm bigger than the stock WR8's. It was also wider yet had enough clearance when tire begins to expand. This gave the WR8 a SCT look with the higher vertical clearance and wider stance.
jo_er86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #142
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_er86 View Post
I was on the lookout for lexan bodies that would go with the WR8 besides the HPI and TBG\mci_racing since they are pricey. I tried the Associate ProRally body, which was $35 with decals, and it was too big in terms of width and wheelbase. Considering the Losi Ten Rally was bigger, I didn't bother buying that for test fitting. I'm waiting for the Exceed AceTiger Rally body to be available. Looking at the reviews, it looks like it'll fit the WR8.

In terms of wheels, the Associate ProRally would fit but front tires at full steering angle will hit the chassis when the tires expand from rotation.

The Losi Ten wheel\tire fit pretty good since it is 7mm smaller in diameter compared to the ProRally but 17mm bigger than the stock WR8's. It was also wider yet had enough clearance when tire begins to expand. This gave the WR8 a SCT look with the higher vertical clearance and wider stance.
For what it's worth the WR8 is a pretty particular scale chassis. There are not really any other off the shelf manufacturers' bodies that will fit on it.

The WR8's wheel base is 300mm and the width is 227mm.

If you look at the Exceed AceTiger Rally's specification it is listed as having a 275mm wheelbase and being 252mm wide. So I would not bother spending money on one of those bodies as they will not fit.

The same really goes for the wheels too. They are 35mm wide by 80mm in diameter mounted on 57mm (or 2.2") rims.

If you want bodies and you don't want to spend a lot of money you could try hitting a local hobby shop and looking at crawler bodies and trucks or what not. For wheels though you really don't have all that big of a choice. Look for anything HPI Super Nitro/Super Nitro Rally 2.2" wheels and tires.

For what it's worth the Proline road rage 2.2" x 39mm wide tires will fit on the stock rims. These: http://www.prolineracing.com/tires/r...-street-tires/
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #143
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Hey Mike,

Sorry to bump an older post. What about something like this instead for a bit lower cost? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBBMA&P=ML

I was considering something like it for my Tekno SCT410 build, but thought it might be appropriate to make the WR8 more fun so I don't succumb to the temptation to sell it.

This car is very slow on 2S. I don't have any 3S batteries yet, but based on a few posts of people having their ESC thermalling, I don't even want to go there.
In my opinion the 4600kv motor is going to be a bit too small for the WR8. The mamba Max Pro ESC is perfect though. It is what I run in my WR8.

You really want to go with a 4000kv or lower because the WR8 is over 5lbs loaded up and ready to run.

If you look at the Castle Gearing Chart it recommends the 3800-2400 for 4WD Short Course Trucks 5-6.5lbs. Even though the WR8 is not a SC Truck you can still lump in in that category by the drivetrain and weight.

I run the CC MMP and 3800KV in my WR8 and it is damned near perfect on 3S.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #144
Tech Adept

Thanks man. Stock motor/ESC holding up great. Integy coilovers super duper stiff. Better in some ways, worse in others. Car is more controllable on 2s, but man it accelerates like a bat out of hades on 3s.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #145
Tech Adept

Hi everyone. I have been looking at this car for a while now. I'm interested in 3s performance driving / sliding around parking lots etc.

My question is.. How long so tires generally last on this car? For example, I have a 1/8 buggy (vorza) and if I run this with on road tires they only last a few packs and I'm done. Lol. Is this the same with this car too?

If so, then it's not something I want to invest in. I'm hoping the tires, compound, and design of the car is so different it lasts a lot longer.
Tharr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #146
Tech Adept

Anyone ^ :-)
Old 03-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
Hi everyone. I have been looking at this car for a while now. I'm interested in 3s performance driving / sliding around parking lots etc.

My question is.. How long so tires generally last on this car? For example, I have a 1/8 buggy (vorza) and if I run this with on road tires they only last a few packs and I'm done. Lol. Is this the same with this car too?

If so, then it's not something I want to invest in. I'm hoping the tires, compound, and design of the car is so different it lasts a lot longer.
I've got 2 of them. One stock,other runs the 1/8 sidewinder system. Really depends on how you drive it. And the surface it's driven on. When I first got it tires lasted about 7 runs on 3s. Switched to the off road tires and did better. With each set I get more and more. But if I wanted to I could wipeout a set in a run or two. Especially with the sidewinder system.
It's a great vehicle. Small for 1/8 scale but doesn't matter. Also have the Traxxas and Kyosho rally. WR8 is still favorite. Kyosho close second.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #148
Tech Adept

Thanks Billy for taking the time to reply. Yeah, thats what I was afraid of.. just a few runs on 3S and the tires will be shot, and need to be repalced.

About me..

1. I love 3S, and 2S would not satisfy unless I was on a track (looking for a great basher car)

2. I will be running in parking garages, and other street like settings where tire wear will be put to the test.

It sounds to me, like it would be about the same tire wear as my 1/8 Vorza would see with on road tires, and that was not very good.

Every say 7 - 10 runs new tires will not be good for me! That really is the biggest draw back from this type of powerful / fun car running on road is very costly (tires).

:-/
Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
Thanks Billy for taking the time to reply. Yeah, thats what I was afraid of.. just a few runs on 3S and the tires will be shot, and need to be repalced.

About me..

1. I love 3S, and 2S would not satisfy unless I was on a track (looking for a great basher car)

2. I will be running in parking garages, and other street like settings where tire wear will be put to the test.

It sounds to me, like it would be about the same tire wear as my 1/8 Vorza would see with on road tires, and that was not very good.

Every say 7 - 10 runs new tires will not be good for me! That really is the biggest draw back from this type of powerful / fun car running on road is very costly (tires).

:-/
. Don't let tires alone stop you from getting one. The Tarmac tires wear quick if it's driven abusive. The off road tiree are really good on pavement, and last longer. I can get 20 plus runs if I want. Surface driven on makes a difference. Smooth blacktop no problem, it's rough asphalt or concrete that is hard on tires.
I also have the Vorza. Was costing me $50 in tires at a point. WR8 is not that way. Besides tires are now easily available,unlike after it was originally released.
I only run 3s in the stock one.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #150
Tech Regular

Like Bill said don't let the tires stop you from getting the car. The cheap eBay tires with the on road 2.2" diameter and the off road tread design seem to hold up pretty well to all kinds of abuse. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331340965598

I too like 3s... a lot. I also drive my car very hard on pavement and I run some aggressive camber and toe settings (I'm still working on dialing them in!) I still managed to get about 6-8 packs through the stock Gymkhana tires before they blew out. lol

This was a lot better than the stock Tarmac tires lasted me... you can kind of see them go from start to finish during the length or this video ;-) You can also see how the chassis handles on the ground with the realistic roll, power slides and general all around awesomeness...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I don't see how you could not want one after seeing that (I mean disregard my crappy video and all that). 8-)