R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 AM   #1396
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
One thing to look out for is front downtravel. The arms can drop pretty far but you will need to shave the chassis and for blocks to achieve max travel the arms will allow. I chose to not shave anything and use droop screws to stop anything binding up while turning.
I'd only like to have a couple more mm.
I was thinking of raising the front gearbox with an extra spacer under the blocks and shaving the chassis if it interferes too much.

All just trial and error I guess.
Shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #1397
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
CC-01 shocks are ancient. The pistons and shafts are a single piece of metal with two notches cut out on opposite sides of the pistons. You are MUCH better-off getting some TRF pistons and attaching them to the XV-01's shock shafts.
The cc-01 shocks I posted the part number too are alloy shocks using plastic/nylon pistons.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #1398
Tech Initiate

Hi, i want to get an xv-01 and use it off-road. I will get the long damper set for more ground clearence.

Since it is belt-driven, i want to put a mild brushless system in it so the belt is not forced so much.

Q: Will a Velineon 3m esc (i have one spare) be enough to move this car to at least 30mph? I don't want crazy demoniac speeds, but a good amount to have fun!
Agusorgenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #1399
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agusorgenp View Post
Hi, i want to get an xv-01 and use it off-road. I will get the long damper set for more ground clearence.

Since it is belt-driven, i want to put a mild brushless system in it so the belt is not forced so much.

Q: Will a Velineon 3m esc (i have one spare) be enough to move this car to at least 30mph? I don't want crazy demoniac speeds, but a good amount to have fun!
I don't think the long damper setup gives and extra ground clearance, it allows longer shock stroke for the same given ride height.
Depending on the shocks you fit though.

The long shock ends fitted gives you around 18mm ride height.
If you had 20+ I can see it would traction roll easier.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've read the velineon ESC not fitting.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #1400
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

You can Run standard shocks with the long damper ends. I don't recommend this though as the shocks bottom out before the chassis bottoms out. The tallest you can make the ride height with the standard tamiya short shock ends is not very good for rally. Going to long damper and towers gives the ability to run more ride height and up travel. Running shocks that bottom out before the chassis does is not a good idea for many reasons.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #1401
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
The cc-01 shocks I posted the part number too are alloy shocks using plastic/nylon pistons.
Nevermind then. Though I still think TRF Delrin pistons are better than the black nylon pistons that come with Tamiya's CVA shocks, because the Delrin pistons are actually completely round instead of having a flat spot on one side.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #1402
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
You can Run standard shocks with the long damper ends. I don't recommend this though as the shocks bottom out before the chassis bottoms out. The tallest you can make the ride height with the standard tamiya short shock ends is not very good for rally. Going to long damper and towers gives the ability to run more ride height and up travel. Running shocks that bottom out before the chassis does is not a good idea for many reasons.
I agree. No reason to cheap-out and only do half the conversion. Get the shock towers to go along with the longer shocks, and all will be well.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #1403
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Nevermind then. Though I still think TRF Delrin pistons are better than the black nylon pistons that come with Tamiya's CVA shocks, because the Delrin pistons are actually completely round instead of having a flat spot on one side.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=54541
Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #1404
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I don't think the long damper setup gives and extra ground clearance, it allows longer shock stroke for the same given ride height.
Depending on the shocks you fit though.

The long shock ends fitted gives you around 18mm ride height.
If you had 20+ I can see it would traction roll easier.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've read the velineon ESC not fitting.
Sorry, i forgot to say i would buy the taller shock towers also.

The Velineon 3m is the small one, for the Traxxas 1/16 slace models (about 25mm tall, 45mm long and 25mm wide)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #1405
Tech Master

Quote:
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=54541
...huh. I didn't even know those existed. Yeah, those shocks come with the same TRF pistons I was recommending. I built my own shocks using a combination of TRF and Yeah Racing parts, but that kit is easier if you don't mind giving up the pretty blue color.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #1406
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agusorgenp View Post
Sorry, i forgot to say i would buy the taller shock towers also.

The Velineon 3m is the small one, for the Traxxas 1/16 slace models (about 25mm tall, 45mm long and 25mm wide)
I was including the taller shock towers when I mentioned the long shock setup.

You're fitting taller towers to fit the longer shocks in, to give around the same ride height as standard (long or short shock rod ends, depending on which is fitted).

You would also have to do some modding to get much more over 20-22mm of ride height.

I did not know about the Velineon 3m sorry, I'm only just getting back into the hobby after a 3 or 4 years away.

Quote:
...huh. I didn't even know those existed. Yeah, those shocks come with the same TRF pistons I was recommending. I built my own shocks using a combination of TRF and Yeah Racing parts, but that kit is easier if you don't mind giving up the pretty blue color.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=54670

There is a blue and silver option.
Also comes with different o-rings.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #1407
Tech Initiate

Is it possible that tamiya will re-release the xv-01 long damper spec chassis? About two weeks ago it said "discontinued" in TH but now it says "late may", and in Tamiya.com is said "discontinued" about two weeks ago and now it says "discontinued, possible substitutions"
Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #1408
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Yes, they are re releasing the long damper spec.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...oad-(xv)-36180

"coming soon"
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #1409
Tech Initiate

Awesome, three products less to care about.
Buuut is doesen't come with a body but the lancia delta (the one i want) body is sold in TH, YAY.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #1410
Tech Regular

I keep coming back to this chassis. And every time it puts a smile on my face.

On Easter Sunday the parking lot at Target was completely empty because it was closed. I just happened to have the xv-01 in the trunk. I blasted two battery packs and left that lot scorched.

With my setup the only time I find the xv-01 wavering is at high speeds, turning and the throttle off. The rear end starts to get a little light over bumps and it's possible to start sliding out at extreme angles. However I have set up my rear end to have major camber gain when the suspension is flexed. This helps keep it pretty planted when there is a lot of body roll. As soon as you hit the power, the rear end will squat and you get that controlled grippy rear end turning predictably again. That is of course if you have enough traction.

Anyway I am glad that more people are still buying this chassis. It's got a lot of potential. When set up right it's very rewarding. Even with a silver can it can be fun.

The x-patterns I have, have been holding up amazingly. This is strange because my first set got pretty chewed within days. I guess the stock setup is ment for offroad, 3 degrees is pretty severe. I am basically at 1 degree camber front and rear now and these tires are holding strong. I think my friend said they had some nicer firmer foams inside which could contribute to their longevity.

The Xv-01 really doesn't need too much ride height. Somewhere between 8 and 12mm seems perfect for most road courses with crappy pebbly crack lined streets. You might just need to raise your body 1 hole to allow for less scraping.

Larger tires or a buggy might be what you need if you want to the height for things like grass. I originally wanted this car for on and off road. But it really is an on road vehicle. It just happens to do pretty well on flattish non-tarmac surfaces like baseball diamonds.

Drive on.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote