Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, the philips-head screws suck. I bought the shiny dark-chrome-plated steel hex screws from Tamiya, but if I had to do it again I'd buy black steel Traxxas screws because they're way less expensive.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

I was screwing around today. I began replacing Philips with hex screws. It's so satisfying to have a good driver (MIP) and nice steel screws. Though without this experience, using the Philips head screws weren't terrible as long as you had a nice screwdriver.

The Xv-01 TC-T is still ripping. I traction rolled it a couple times today whilst making rubber screeching sounds. I may start fitting the Blitzer body if I finish with the the main screws. I don't really want to tear into the diffs and transmission since everything is running so smooth right now.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default A better comparison between the TA05 and XV01

Okay friends.

TLDR; xv-01 for fun times, TA05 for predictable racing.

So as some of you know I have a recently purchased second hand TA05. Upon first try, I noticed the TA05 is well balanced, turns very predictable. It handles quite well stock out of the box. At one point I even had doubts that I should have instead invested in a strictly touring chassis, after comparing it's handling to the xv-01.

The true test would be how I felt after putting the 13.5t brushless setup in it. I had previously only had a brushed Johnson 540 installed, and was impressed with the TA05's composure.

So today after I finished screwing around, read swapping Phillips for hexes on both cars. I decided to gut the xv-01 and transfer the power plant into the TA05.

While my test was pretty short. I have to say, the TA05 is pretty boring in comparison. The TA05 with the same power plant feels stuffy and a bit stiffling, like driving wearing a straight jacket. A very predictable, ridgid sort of feeling. I mean, for racing I guess this is what you want, what is desirable, and by design.

In comparison, driving the xv-01 is oodles more interesting. It's turning is dynamic, it doesn't just pivot from its center. The chassis rolls more. You can get loose. The acceleration is more gradual, in a good way. Everything is more realistic.

The TA05 accelerates like an on-off switch. It's turns pivot from the center of the chassis. It's difficult to get loose. I guess this is what driving a f1 car would be like, so planted, ridgid. It actually takes the fun out of driving. I suppose at higher speeds and say a mod 8.5t motor it would be plenty fun, and you would really want that predictable feeling at such ballistic speeds.

Some things to note. I was driving with Ride USGT spec tires, which makes for a very predictable square planted feeling ( I noticed similar handling with the xv-01). Gearing on the TA05 is the fastest I have in mod06 pitch, which is not close to the range I have available to be in 48 pitch. No body. At night. Simple low low, stock suspension. With the midset, don't crash!

I doubt though that my observations are far off. I have yet with the Ta05, blaze the street in full turbo glory, with a body, in the day, with x-pattern tires, and ultra tuned suspension. But just from these couple of runs, I can honestly say. Xv-01 is for fun, and realism, with bits of sporty goodness built in.
The TA05 is strictly designed for predictable racing.

And while the Xv01 isn't a point and shoot chassis, being a little heavier, and weighted differently, I still think it would give the TA05 some good competition on a track.

This really settles some questions I had about the 2 chassis. I will continue to invest time into the xv-01 as a cross over chassis. On road, rally, light offroad, and fast truck styles.

The TA05 even with great power plant doesn't live up to the xv-01s ability to satisfy.

Last edited by 4roller; 01-29-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Obviously what your TA-05 needs is even more power, to make it pleasantly unpredictable.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Obviously what your TA-05 needs is even more power, to make it pleasantly unpredictable.
Or even worse tires ;-)

But joking aside, I agree with 4roller.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

I wasn't kidding, though. If the chassis is that well planted, then it's an open invitation to push it even harder.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

Agreed I can push the TA05 harder.

While I had the giant tires on the xv-01, I forgot that I had dialed back my motor timing to -30degrees to keep the belt and/or gear box from shredding. I can't believe that with such low rpms it is still a blast to drive in that configuration.

So that -30degree timing transferred over when placing the motor into the TA05.

Today I turned it to +30degrees timing and the TA05 is better fun to drive now. It actually goes pretty fast, not as fast as my xv-01, probably because of the gearing and the tiny tires, but not boring like I had stated before. It still felt pretty planted. Doing slalom down the street in the TA05 is still difficult to lose control. Granted I had like 4mm of ride height and CVA dampers with soft springs. The TA05 still feels like a car pivoting on a turret. Or like Mario Kart when you spin out. I did spin out a couple of times because of the higher speeds and off camber surfaces I was driving on. Still though, very predictable. Oversteer feels more like drifting.

When turning with the xv-01, it can feel unwieldy at high speeds. I liken it to the hammer-toss, if you lose control it can be pretty dramatic with the rear end oversteer. If you keep it in check, its rewarding.

I wasn't kidding, though. If the chassis is that well planted, then it's an open invitation to push it even harder.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How durable is xv drivetrain, will it stand modified brushless motor and a lot of driving?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kajman
How durable is xv drivetrain, will it stand modified brushless motor and a lot of driving?
Yes. I run a 13.5t at times with 40degree motor can timing and 24degeee turbo on a 120A ESC.

For durability, I have been running the following optional parts for just under a year of decently hard and often bashing with no issues.

Reinforced belt
Aluminum pulley wheels
Steel differential gears
Slipper clutch

No melty ball diffs to worry about. The transmission gears are pretty solid. Slipper clutch is key with a super high power systems.

If you check on the RC crawlers forum rally section, there is a member who runs some crazy totally overpowered KV motors for off road rally. From what I've read, no real issues.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 4roller
Yes. I run a 13.5t at times with 40degree motor can timing and 24degeee turbo on a 120A ESC.

For durability, I have been running the following optional parts for just under a year of decently hard and often bashing with no issues.

Reinforced belt
Aluminum pulley wheels
Steel differential gears
Slipper clutch

No melty ball diffs to worry about. The transmission gears are pretty solid. Slipper clutch is key with a super high power systems.

If you check on the RC crawlers forum rally section, there is a member who runs some crazy totally overpowered KV motors for off road rally. From what I've read, no real issues.

Good luck.
Slipper clutch is really needed? I´m driving it stock, with a 13.5T brushless motor and i´m thinking on some updates, but the car runs as the first day ^^
Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

The slipper clutch is helpful for tuning the car, even if you're not concerned about breaking drivetrain parts. If you want less wheelspin, you can loosen the slipper clutch a little bit.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Tech Rookie

The slipper clutch is helpful for tuning the car, even if you're not concerned about breaking drivetrain parts. If you want less wheelspin, you can loosen the slipper clutch a little bit.
How do you set properly the slipper clutch on xv 01?
Do you have to see the lifting of the front while accelerating?
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

I tighten the slipper clutch a little at a time until I can hear the tires spinning against the pavement at full throttle. That is the most torque the car can use without better tires.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Start by making loosening the slipper nut, so at full throttle, from standing still, the car doesn't move.

Then tighten the slipper by attaching the wrench and roll the car forward a little, maybe a couple 5-10 centimeters.

Try full throttle again. Then slipper should slip a little then the car will start moving barely.

Then repeat this process until you are comfortable with the acceleration and slippage.

At full throttle you should hear a high pitched buzzing sound followed by the car moving and the sound going away as the car accelerates to speed.

You can run a slipper looser or tighter. It all depends on how you prefer the car to handle when accelerating.

Sometimes when I have really crappy tires, I set my slipper loose so that when I corner, and hit the throttle at full, the slipper clutch engages and the tires do not break free.

Sometimes when I have my cars suspension dialed to perfect. I can lock the slipper (tighten it almost to stop) and enjoy full wheel spin power.

Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Marco Donadelli
How do you set properly the slipper clutch on xv 01?
Do you have to see the lifting of the front while accelerating?
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Blitzed Out

Today I had some time to cut out the Stadium Blitzer body and fit it to my Xv-01. As you can see there is a large wheel gap and the body will sit pretty high because of the larger diameter tires that will go on this.

I pulled the 13.5t out and put in a 540 silver can. You know, this car is still a lot of fun with a lower powered motor. There no fear of losing control. I think with the larger tires it might be just right with speed. Torque may be the limited factor. The brushed ESC and the silver can already have a little bit of lag when pinning the throttle out of a bad turn. We shall see.

The best part is to come, color scheme!

Oh yeah, I switched out the blue TRF dampers for some 1/3 price Yeah Racing shock gear dampers. From what I can tell they are almost identical. Different springs and pistons, but both are decent quality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.