R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #1336
Tech Master

My XV-01 R does 45mph. It's a handful at that speed, but it's a rewarding handful.

If you're going to run on-road, get HPI V-Groove Pro Compound tires. They're the only tires I use for high speeds, because they're properly sticky and they have enough tread that they don't lose all grip once they accumulate a thin coating of road dust.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:51 AM   #1337
Tech Adept

Does anyone know, whether Tamiya or somebody else is selling components that would allow me to create 40mm rear drive shaft? Due to my specific setup, 39mm seems to be a bit short. I've been searching for past couple of hours but not much luck. I can see 3rd party 40mm front shafts, but those have short wheel axle... Thanks!
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #1338
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
true,50 is plenty for these.
I've got very close with my XV01 and the cheapest 80a/3300kv combo money can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_qu_nrMZg

72kph aka 44mph. I didn't push it faster because it was getting really unstable with a undersized 3S in that run.
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #1339
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Does anyone know, whether Tamiya or somebody else is selling components that would allow me to create 40mm rear drive shaft? Due to my specific setup, 39mm seems to be a bit short. I've been searching for past couple of hours but not much luck. I can see 3rd party 40mm front shafts, but those have short wheel axle... Thanks!
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=53501

These are 42mm CVD shafts. Combine it with the long stub-axle from the 39mm CVD to get what you need.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #1340
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
I've got very close with my XV01 and the cheapest 80a/3300kv combo money can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_qu_nrMZg

72kph aka 44mph. I didn't push it faster because it was getting really unstable with a undersized 3S in that run.
Does your body have a wing on it? If it doesn't, add one; HPI has several wing designs to choose from. Pretty much any touring car that goes over 30-35mph is going to need one.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #1341
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=53501

These are 42mm CVD shafts. Combine it with the long stub-axle from the 39mm CVD to get what you need.
42mm is too long. I have a spare set of these, which I have already tried, but they bind when the shock is compressed (they hit the back of the outdrive, as they are simply too long). That's why I'm looking for something around 40mm...

BTW - I have also tried one of those adjustable shafts, but that doesn't work either - they are too wide because of the sleeve design, a wait for it - they bind with the outdrive...
Old 01-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #1342
Tech Master

Well, if you know of 3rd-party 40mm shafts, why not just combine them with the Tamiya stub-axles to get what you need?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #1343
Tech Adept

I have some doubts that 3rd party shaft will fit the Tamiya stub axle, and since it costs $30, it might be a costly try. But I guess that nobody tried, so I'll have to take the risk.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #1344
Tech Master

They probably made the parts the same size. There's no reason to make them a different size. I think it's worth a try.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #1345
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Looks like the XV01 Long Damper spec is coming back.. It's on the list for the Nuremberg Toy Fair

47349 XV-01 Chassis Kit Long Damper Spec (re-release of 84375)
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #1346
Tech Regular

Well just in time, I got my Stadium Blitzer body the other day. What length dampers do the xv-01T use in conjunction with the taller damper stays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Looks like the XV01 Long Damper spec is coming back.. It's on the list for the Nuremberg Toy Fair

47349 XV-01 Chassis Kit Long Damper Spec (re-release of 84375)
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #1347
Tech Rookie

So I'm about to dig into my XV-01 build and want to know if getting a set of titanium hex screws is worth it?
Awallspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #1348
Tech Master

Eh...titanium is nice, but they're not any stronger than steel screws unless you get super-expensive 6Al4V screws, so the only real benefit would be weight reduction. There are much cheaper ways to shave a few grams off a car; titanium screws are an upgrade that only makes sense if you're building a race vehicle and you've already shaved off as much weight as you can elsewhere.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #1349
Tech Regular

What he said. If you want hex screws, get some black steel ones. Stainless hex screws are available too, but they are (like the widely available titanium screws) softer than the black steel variety. Rust and oxidation may be an issue if you are running in wet all day, but should not be an issue with regular maintenance. Worse case, put some grease on threads before threading into any aluminum bits. This chassis is heavy to begin with, so titanium isn't going to net you more than 20g worth of weight savings.

I recently purchased a boat load of steel screws from ebay China. It wasn't a kit. I plan on replacing all my xv-01 and TA05 screws so I bought all the common sizes in bulk. It was a tedious task but you only have to do it once.

Otherwise there are screw kits from "Tony's screws" (heard good things) which boast the black steel screws and also a German company which does the same, and give 50% more screws and hardware in every kit.

Those are pretty much your options for hex screws. But titanium is really just for the races. Money would better be spent on aluminum pullies, metal gear diff, aluminum suspension blocks, and TRF style dampers, carbon reinforced parts.

Welcome to the xv-01! If I had to do it all over again, I'd just repalce really just the carbon reinforced or aluminum suspension blocks, aluminum dampers, and a bag of 3 and 5mm shims. Then replace whatever wears out as you destroy ever piece of rally terrian the xv-01 rolls on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Eh...titanium is nice, but they're not any stronger than steel screws unless you get super-expensive 6Al4V screws, so the only real benefit would be weight reduction. There are much cheaper ways to shave a few grams off a car; titanium screws are an upgrade that only makes sense if you're building a race vehicle and you've already shaved off as much weight as you can elsewhere.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #1350
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, yeah I'm not so much looking for the weight savings as I am for not having to deal with all the Phillip heads. Some of the build forums had people cursing the Phillips screws. Yeah after seeing the price in titanium kits.... no thank you. Thanks for help.
Awallspdx is offline   Reply With Quote