R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 01-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #1321
Tech Master

I nominate you to find out.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #1322
Tech Rookie

Quick question,I'm getting back in to RC and looking at the xv-01 but I've only done nitro and that was still a long time ago,(HPI super nitro Rally). I just wanted a suggestion for motor/esc combo and controller/receiver/servo. I saw that some servos might be to big. It just been a long time for me and I want to make sure I'm ordering the right parts. Thanks
Awallspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:10 AM   #1323
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awallspdx View Post
Quick question,I'm getting back in to RC and looking at the xv-01 but I've only done nitro and that was still a long time ago,(HPI super nitro Rally). I just wanted a suggestion for motor/esc combo and controller/receiver/servo. I saw that some servos might be to big. It just been a long time for me and I want to make sure I'm ordering the right parts. Thanks
Easiest answer is the servo. You are looking for 1/10 low profile servo, for example Savox 1252MG or similar. I'm currently using Spektrum Low Profile HV Digital Race Servo S6270, which is super fast, and waterproof (which I need). Unless you will be racing in some wet mud, that Savox is a great choice.

Motor/ESC/transmitter really depends on what you are going to do with the car. Driving around a parking lot, or racing?
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #1324
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

A full size servo fits alright. Its tight, but fits. The larger or tall servos don't fit.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #1325
Tech Regular

Default Large tired xv-01

I think this large tire xv-01 should be a thing. A different class than rally. Is there truck rally, with tarmac? 1:1 Stadium super truck? I guess short course trucks were made for this, but I am thinking something more tarmac, less jumping, like the first video.

Stadium super truck on a track
stadium super truck on dirt

I mean they did make the xv01T but I don't think it really caught on since the tires it comes with (I think, same as CC-01) are terrible and far and few between. Truck style body styles are lacking too.

However, the Xv01, with these MST crawler tires I am running, is quite exciting on the street. Enough traction to skip pulley gears on hard 13.5t brushless lipo acceleration, slippery enough to power slide through high speed turns. Enough side bite to roll your chassis if you made a bad decision to slalom too fast. I'd recommend it as a spec tire for this yet to be named class, most definitely.

Anyway, I took the xv-01TC-T, still bodiless, for a blitz through a parking lot. I was thinking the initial fun from last week would wear off. But I have to say, its even more fun! The slipper clutch is really the only thing that saves my transmission from tearing apart. I'd consider it manditory for large diameter tires. There's just too much power and too much mass to spin up so quickly. The acceleration is decent,not as fast as lower mass and smaller diameter TC tires, but with the slipper set loose, the chassis really launches, smoothly. You can still kick up some roost if you are driving on dirt.

Once it gets up to top speed (still unknown) it can get wild. Your one wrong (sharp) turn from massive chassis flipping mayhem. Or one trigger pull away from ballistic oversized inflated tire glory.

Cornering is basically no issue up to 3/4 speed, any faster and you'd probably roll or power slide so wide, it would be amazing to see you hub carriers explode when they slide into that curb you were trying to avoid. With a body mounted, chassis roll would be amazing. It's definitely not a beginner's type of drive.

I have to back off the throttle when making 90degree turns, because the power slide can go very wide because of weight of the car. That inner wheel spin is so realistic. Braking is very effective with such high traction and bite tires. I sometimes hear pulley clicking.

Anyway. I will probably pick up a Stadium Blitzer body. I like this full (but limited travel) independent suspension, mild off-road (more than a stock xv-01) and super speed capability.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 AM   #1326
Tech Regular

Wow these things look amazing! The paint jobs are on point. The wheelbases are crazy long. Some of them don't go very fast, other seem like they can get air off jumps. I think the rally is really for scale, instead of racing. It looks super fun.

What kind of chassis are they using, what wheelsize? It looks like crawler wheels and tires. 1.9"

Off road Transport truck racing. I don't think you will see these kinds of trucks or chassis (in thier unmodified state) anywhere in North America. I think it's a EU/Asia thing. The closest thing I can think of is a garbage truck or a fire engine.

Very cool to see scale models, racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Happy medium setting seems to be around 18mm ride height - at least for the relatively low speed races I'm in.

It's funny that you are mentioning Dakar races - that is another thing which is popular here. Check this: http://www.rctr.estranky.cz/clanky/v...e-setkani.html ;-)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #1327
Tech Master

We have trucks like that in North America, they're all just for military or construction use.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #1328
Tech Adept

Anybody take these little guys to 100mph? lol
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #1329
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Wow these things look amazing! The paint jobs are on point. The wheelbases are crazy long. Some of them don't go very fast, other seem like they can get air off jumps. I think the rally is really for scale, instead of racing. It looks super fun.

What kind of chassis are they using, what wheelsize? It looks like crawler wheels and tires. 1.9"

Off road Transport truck racing. I don't think you will see these kinds of trucks or chassis (in thier unmodified state) anywhere in North America. I think it's a EU/Asia thing. The closest thing I can think of is a garbage truck or a fire engine.

Very cool to see scale models, racing!
Those models are using very different platforms (Tamiya, Axial, LRP, ...), and as far as I know, they are almost always heavily modified to fit the body properly and to achieve the right handling. Even more modified than my XV-01 :-).

Speaking of which, I did my first race of the season yesterday, and learnt a lot. After some ESC parameters tuning, the car is working well, and surprisingly, the fan is not needed at all. The ESC didn't ever got hotter than 35deg C.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #1330
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I'm selling this HW ESC combo, I don't have use for non sensored electronics

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/974238-hobbywing-quick-run-13t-program-box-combo.html#post14799840
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #1331
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Easiest answer is the servo. You are looking for 1/10 low profile servo, for example Savox 1252MG or similar. I'm currently using Spektrum Low Profile HV Digital Race Servo S6270, which is super fast, and waterproof (which I need). Unless you will be racing in some wet mud, that Savox is a great choice.

Motor/ESC/transmitter really depends on what you are going to do with the car. Driving around a parking lot, or racing?
No racing, just having fun bashing around in the yard/driveway and taking it on trails. I think I've settled on the castle sidewinder 3 and 4600 combo and found a savox 1251mg for a good deal. Waterproof would be nice since I'm in the Northwest. Now I just need to settle on a transmitter/receiver.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #1332
Tech Adept

For this purpose, almost anything with 2 channels will work. I was using Traxxas TQi radio + TSM receiver, and it was perfectly OK until I started racing...
Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #1333
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Anybody take these little guys to 100mph? lol
Not 100mph, but definitely 50mph. Not enough drag strip in my part of town.

I think my rubber tires would rip off before 70mph. One would need foams or belted tires and some massive front and rear downforce to keep the car stable at those speeds. Maybe a gyro.

I think with 4s, and a dragstrip it would doable.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #1334
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Not 100mph, but definitely 50mph. Not enough drag strip in my part of town.

I think my rubber tires would rip off before 70mph. One would need foams or belted tires and some massive front and rear downforce to keep the car stable at those speeds. Maybe a gyro.

I think with 4s, and a dragstrip it would doable.
true,50 is plenty for these.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #1335
Tech Rookie

Quote:
For this purpose, almost anything with 2 channels will work. I was using Traxxas TQi radio + TSM receiver, and it was perfectly OK until I started racing...
Thanks a ton Haplm. Got my xv-01 on the way along with a castle sidewinder 3 and 4600kv, front and back cvd, 54376 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XJ), 54377 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XM),54379 Aluminum Suspension Mount (XJ) . Keeping my eye out for a good deal on a receiver while I build this kit