R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #1246
Tech Regular

Just checking in on the thread, since it seems to have died down. We can't let that happen.

I placed a battery in my Xv-01 and ripped for about 5 minutes on the backyard concrete. It is still fun as ever! The car is dialed for the streets.

Anyone been driving theirs?
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 AM   #1247
Tech Master

Not lately. I've been working on crawlers lately, since they're better-suited to cold weather. I really need to put decals on my second Lancia Delta body, so I can figure out which one looks better and make it the show body and use the other one as a runner. I haven't driven my first XV-01 in a long time because the Lancia body is just too pretty to risk damaging.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 AM   #1248
Tech Adept

Not a good time for driving things around here, so I build instead. I've finally got these:

It is slightly changed design compared to the original plates, focused on achieving greater ride height, shifting weight towards back of the car (by using shorty pack perpendicular to the direction of driving), and lower GC (most of the electronic on the bottom plate).

I'm really curious how this will work out, but I need to wait for my new ESC to become in stock before I can put it together...

I've also got new body:

Last edited by haplm; 12-07-2016 at 09:55 AM.
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #1249
Tech Master

Looks good, but shouldn't the reverse lights be off?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #1250
Tech Adept

:-) Good catch.

They are on, because the picture was taken with a very basic controller (Killerbody). For some reason, the reverse light is always on (dimmed), and it flashes even during braking. I really didn't like that (plus almost zero configurability), so I have bought OB1 controller (v3.1). And it is day and night. Not only the reverse light now works correctly (ie. flashing only when the car is really reversing), but also the whole thing is configurable, can be powered directly from battery (thus give more power to LEDs), uses all 4 channels on the transmitter, has more slots for LEDs, etc. I'm really happy with it.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #1251
Tech Adept

Is anybody running light oil (<10.000 cSt) in the diffs? If you do, what do you guys do to prevent the oil to leak?

I'm asking because I've tried 3.000 and 1.000 in the stock diffs, and they were pretty much empty after just couple of runs. Since then, I have bought the TA06 metal diffs, plus TRF red o-rings (I've read somewhere that they should seal it a bit better). I also plan to put TA green slime on the ring and the green seal.

Anybody has a better idea? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #1252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Is anybody running light oil (<10.000 cSt) in the diffs? If you do, what do you guys do to prevent the oil to leak?

I'm asking because I've tried 3.000 and 1.000 in the stock diffs, and they were pretty much empty after just couple of runs. Since then, I have bought the TA06 metal diffs, plus TRF red o-rings (I've read somewhere that they should seal it a bit better). I also plan to put TA green slime on the ring and the green seal.

The Tamiya red 5mm o-rings for some reason don't work well in Tamiyas diffs.. This is across the board. Kyosho had a P5 (5mm) red oring that works well, it's what I presently have in mine and have had no issues, even with 1,000 oil.

You can also try the X-ray clear o ring

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=4908

If you go this route you will need to pick up a diff shim kit,

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=8155

X-ray o rings are more meaty, so you'll have to use a thinner shim
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #1253
Tech Adept

Thanks, Raman!

Looks like Kyosho is only selling orange o-rings now. Will this one work?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #1254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks, Raman!

Looks like Kyosho is only selling orange o-rings now. Will this one work?
Those are the ones. Still recommend you use green slime
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #1255
Tech Regular

Rear diff, I filled it once and let it all spin out. I find that just a little surface lube on the (metal upgraded) gears is just fine street driving. An open rear diff works well to reduce oversteer on higher traction surfaces. I don't have any experience with off-road. Up front I use 100k and it leaks super slow. After about 2 months I am about due for a top off.

Quote:

Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #1256
Tech Master

I use the reinforced diff plates for the TA-06 rear diff. Being aluminum, they don't flex as much as the stock plastic parts and so the gaskets seal better.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:59 AM   #1257
Tech Regular

That is a nice looking retro body. Is it a Datsun? Those decals are cool.

What makes this carbon fibre chassis different than your previous one?

Quote:
Not a good time for driving things around here, so I build instead. I've finally got these:

It is slightly changed design compared to the original plates, focused on achieving greater ride height, shifting weight towards back of the car (by using shorty pack perpendicular to the direction of driving), and lower GC (most of the electronic on the bottom plate).

I'm really curious how this will work out, but I need to wait for my new ESC to become in stock before I can put it together...

I've also got new body:

Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #1258
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
That is a nice looking retro body. Is it a Datsun? Those decals are cool.

What makes this carbon fibre chassis different than your previous one?
Thanks! Yes, it is Datsun 240z. The painting scheme is vaguely inspired by this car :-), decals are stock.

What's changed:
  1. Bottom plate is wider before the rear diff housing, so shorty pack can be attached perpendicular instead of parallel, and ESC + light controller have enough room to be placed next to each other in front of the battery
  2. Bottom plate is narrower where the a-arms are, so 28mm ride height can be achieved without milling
  3. Bottom plate has better shape for mounting Dusty Motors dust cover
  4. Upper plate has 2 areas in the front where it is narrower than before, which allows unrestricted travel of steering linkages. This is necessary as servo/steering is mounted differently compared to the original setup
  5. Upper plate has a hole for channeling cables to the bottom plate
  6. ESC fan can be mounted on the upper plate
  7. Added/moved service holes (for servo screw and belt protector screw)
  8. Removed old battery mounting point

I also have custom damper stays (both front/rear) that accept 85mm shocks, which are necessary (at least in the rear)) to achieve the desired ride height.

All these things will make a quite different car, I believe, but that is still to be seen. Right now I need to come up with non-leaking differentials :-). I hear you, 4roller, with pretty much open rear diff, and that is what I'm trying to achieve. Recommendation for our races is to have 1k or 2k in the rear, and 3-5k front.

I don't have the electronics either, as I'm waiting for Sanwa Super Vortex Gen.2 ESC and Sanwa MT-44 radio to become in stock. So in the meantime, I'm rebuilding my other cars...
Old 12-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #1259
Tech Adept

Speaking of electronics, I'm switching to Spektrum Low Profile HV Digital Race Servo S6270. Specs look quite impressive, and Amain has 20% off on servos until Monday, so it was a no-brainer.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #1260
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I use the reinforced diff plates for the TA-06 rear diff. Being aluminum, they don't flex as much as the stock plastic parts and so the gaskets seal better.
Yeah, I was thinking about them, but I wasn't sure they really work. OK, so probably I will get these as well... Thanks!