R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 11-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #1231
Tech Regular

I am pretty stoked. There is one catch. I just had my first child 8 days ago. I haven't had time to look at my xv-01 since she was born. I would not mind helping getting something started in the future after everything settles down on my end.

Where do you think would be a good place to set up a rally race? Somewhere shadier, with trees if I had my choice. By the looks for the czech people they have different stages.

SoCal has a ton of different terrain. The only thing to look out for is that participants don't dehydrate from the crazy hot sun.

Otherwise like you said, maybe just meet up go drive RC's.

What is you setup now? Powerplant? Suspension, body? Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercextreme View Post
Yep u guessed it! Tonies Hobbies in Baldwin Park! Sweet lets hang for some rally fun some time! I just messaged u! Sweet! Anyone else in LA County lets get this started! Boom!
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #1232
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Make sure you pick up the 3x23 steel ones.. not the blue aluminium .. they bend too easily. I tend to upgrade to the titanium ones for the long run which can be costly.
They bend easy? Ok, noted.
I'll check if our LHS carries steel or titanium tie rods.
Thanks again Raman!
Pambraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:41 AM   #1233
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've always had good luck with Lunsford titanium turnbuckles. Quality and not too expensive.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #1234
Tech Master

I don't know if Lunsford makes turnbuckles small enough for the XV-01, though. If you want silver ones for some reason, you can take the blue titanium ones and scrub the blue coating off with a Dremel motorized wire brush quite easily. I did that with some purple titanium turnbuckles for a silver-and-orange RS4 chassis I built.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #1235
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
I am pretty stoked. There is one catch. I just had my first child 8 days ago. I haven't had time to look at my xv-01 since she was born. I would not mind helping getting something started in the future after everything settles down on my end.

Where do you think would be a good place to set up a rally race? Somewhere shadier, with trees if I had my choice. By the looks for the czech people they have different stages.

SoCal has a ton of different terrain. The only thing to look out for is that participants don't dehydrate from the crazy hot sun.

Otherwise like you said, maybe just meet up go drive RC's.

What is you setup now? Powerplant? Suspension, body? Pics?
Congrads on the baby! Id say when u have time lets meet up. Im thinking of a good spot in Pasadena near Caltech where the frisbee park and baseball fields are. Lots of dirt and trees. It used to be called Brookside Park they changed it to something like Hahamonga Watershed Park. U go to the bottom and park in the back and ull see a rally heaven. Ill message u next time I go. Cheers buddy!

Garett
fiercextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #1236
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

4Roller congrats on your new born daughter!

My son was born 3 years ago and it opened my eyes to a whole new world. It is truly a humbling experience. Enjoy every minute..

I look back to the early days of all the fussing, crying our confusion on what to do and just smile and part of me actually misses those days!
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #1237
Tech Regular

On the rear end of my car I found that with the TC suspension and longer tierods, it produces a good amount of camber gain. In a roll the outside wheel will get negative camber (flatten to driving surface), the inside wheel also get positive camber and flatten to driving surface providing maximum surface area for both wheels to get traction.

The stock setup had very little camber gain because the tierods were short. You could however (possibly sacrificing downward travel) play with the honey comb looking holes on the rear hub carriers to increase the length of the tie rods. You would have to remove the top portion of the hub carries (ball joint mount) and directly attach the ball end to the hub carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Some of my touring cars have slight positive camber in the rear to achieve even tire wear, but only slight. If it's more than that, then yeah, you need shorter turnbuckles.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #1238
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys, is it possible to mount belt cover to xv-01tc?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #1239
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajman View Post
Guys, is it possible to mount belt cover to xv-01tc?
Yes. The TC kit doesn't include the belt cover only to save weight.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:02 AM   #1240
Tech Rookie

Quote:
The front spool is a matter of taste, if you like the way the car drives with it then don't bother converting it to use a diff instead. Spools are lower-maintenance. I have the front spool on my rear-motor XV-01 road car, and on my FWD XV-01 rally car.

I always install the slipper clutch if I possibly can. I like having the ability to mechanically limit maximum torque as necessary. My FWD XV-01 rally car, in particular, would be impossible to drive without torque-limiting.

Thanks for all the tips, Fyrstormer.

How much offset would you recommend if I'm planning to run my Rally XV-01 in asphalt and soil?

Obviously, I haven't used my kit that much since I acquired it that's why I'm asking as much questions as I can. Thanks!
Pambraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #1241
Tech Master

That's fine. I went nuts with my XV-01s so you don't have to.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #1242
Tech Regular

Thanks for the kind words guys. Baby is so fun. And a test of patience sometimes. I love her all the same.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #1243
Tech Regular

If I was to come up with a list if Tamiya cars that shared the same suspension mounting points, what would they be?

I am thinking a ta05/06 tb03/04.

After converting the xv-01 to use TC suspension, it seems logical that I could convert a Tamiya road car with the same mount points to use xv-01 arms and CVDs.

Anyone have an old Tb04/03 they want to sell cheap?
Old 11-27-2016, 02:24 AM   #1244
Tech Master

I tried that with a TB-04R and the result was a monster -- and not the good kind of monster. I eventually decided it was better to revert back to the stock suspension and trim it as necessary to increase suspension travel. Here's the result: Build Complete: Tamiya TB-04R "Cobblestone Edition"
Old 12-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #1245
Tech Regular

I saw that even a tt02s has TRF suspension. But then again I don't really want a tt02.

I guess I'll just keep all my xv01 a arm spares (like 6) in the event I switch back to stock suspension.

Quote:
I tried that with a TB-04R and the result was a monster -- and not the good kind of monster. I eventually decided it was better to revert back to the stock suspension and trim it as necessary to increase suspension travel. Here's the result: Build Complete: Tamiya TB-04R "Cobblestone Edition"