R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 11-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #1216
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
What tires do you have on that xv-01T?
They are RC4WD tractor-trailer tires on 1.7" wheels.

I don't have the car in that configuration anymore. It was too unstable. I converted it to a FWD rally car.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #1217
Tech Rookie

Smile

Hey guys, I got a question about the REAR turnbuckles for our XV-01.

What Tamiya chassis has turnbuckles that are compatible with XV-01?

Thanks guys!!
Pambraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #1218
Tech Regular

I love the articulation that you've managed to achieve on your rally car. Pretty awesome. I guess it follows that you have a Subaru XV crosstrek body. AWD action!

The dog bone angle is amazingly at its limit in the rear. No binding? I would be weary of might fly out under hard power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Another challenge accepted ;-)

This is 28mm rear, 26mm front:

And the rear:

Interesting is, that with this ride height, you need longer shocks than 75mm on the rear for most of the mounting positions. So I have shortened the 85mm TA shocks (27.5B/27.5S) that I was planning to use in the front to ±80mm, and used them in the rear. I think I no longer need these longer shocks in the front, because the 75mm (23B/21S) TA shocks have little longer travel than 75mm Gmade, so now I have all the movement that I need there.

With this setup, there's obviously a lot of weight transfer, but the car is not rolling in the speed I can achieve on our tracks (I guess, I can only test it at home, as it is freezing outside).

I did suspension tuning using the method I have referenced yesterday, and I have to say that it makes a lot of sense. First thing I have realized when I have dumped the oil from the shocks was, how different natural frequencies I've had front/rear. After some spring changes, I now have a combination of springs and mounting points that give me the same frequencies front/rear, plus the desired ride height. What is surprising is, that it rides better than before even without any oil :-).

BTW - I've been complaining about spring selection for Gmade shocks. To my surprise, I've just found out that the 45mm long springs for 12mm BB shocks (TA, TD, etc.) fit Gmade 75mm shocks without any problem! I'm really surprised that nobody mentioned this anywhere. So it seems that I have plenty of shocks and springs now :-).
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #1219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pambraun View Post
Hey guys, I got a question about the REAR turnbuckles for our XV-01.

What Tamiya chassis has turnbuckles that are compatible with XV-01?

Thanks guys!!
They measure 3x23 due to the narrow suspension on the rallye arms. I don't know any current cars that use those turn buckles.

The TC version uses 3x42 in rear which is common the TA cars.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #1220
Tech Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f8U62vu7bk

Anyone in california? I would like to start a rally series like this one. Lots of XV-01 rally cars. I'm happy to hear everyone here enthused about their xv-01 rally cars. All I gotta say just keep on spreading the word cause a nationwide event is bound to happen. I was at my LHS and I saw 2 xv-01's sitting on the shelf. I get excited everytime I pass them hoping people as passionate about rally cars find these. I will admit I was a lil late on the bandwagon, but if I can find a few guys near me in La Puente, Ca. whose interested in rally we will start it. Keep posting new threads. I got one in California, still waiting replies, lol! Peace out!
fiercextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #1221
Tech Regular

Word! I am in Los Angeles. I am interested!

La Puente isn't too far. I goto Tony's occasionally. Which hobby shop has these xv-01s? Tony's? Also what hobby shops do you frequent in that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercextreme View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f8U62vu7bk

Anyone in california? I would like to start a rally series like this one. Lots of XV-01 rally cars. I'm happy to hear everyone here enthused about their xv-01 rally cars. All I gotta say just keep on spreading the word cause a nationwide event is bound to happen. I was at my LHS and I saw 2 xv-01's sitting on the shelf. I get excited everytime I pass them hoping people as passionate about rally cars find these. I will admit I was a lil late on the bandwagon, but if I can find a few guys near me in La Puente, Ca. whose interested in rally we will start it. Keep posting new threads. I got one in California, still waiting replies, lol! Peace out!
Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #1222
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Word! I am in Los Angeles. I am interested!

La Puente isn't too far. I goto Tony's occasionally. Which hobby shop has these xv-01s? Tony's? Also what hobby shops do you frequent in that area?
Yep u guessed it! Tonies Hobbies in Baldwin Park! Sweet lets hang for some rally fun some time! I just messaged u! Sweet! Anyone else in LA County lets get this started! Boom!
fiercextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #1223
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Considering I'm in Toronto, I'll have to pass
Old 11-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #1224
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
They measure 3x23 due to the narrow suspension on the rallye arms. I don't know any current cars that use those turn buckles.

The TC version uses 3x42 in rear which is common the TA cars.
Ok, got it!

I have the XV-01 TC Pro. It was sold to me by a friend who bought additional parts to make it rally spec like the XV-01 Pro. It has the 3x32 tie rods (from TC Pro) on the rear giving the rear wheels a positive camber which I personally don't prefer.

I think I'll buy the 3x23 tie rods to make some changes.

Thanks Raman!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #1225
Tech Master

Some of my touring cars have slight positive camber in the rear to achieve even tire wear, but only slight. If it's more than that, then yeah, you need shorter turnbuckles.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #1226
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Some of my touring cars have slight positive camber in the rear to achieve even tire wear, but only slight. If it's more than that, then yeah, you need shorter turnbuckles.
Yes, Fyrstormer. I've noticed in the stock set-up of XV-01's that there is a slight positive camber but that is good for the car, as far as I know.

By the way, my 'converted-to-rally' XV-01 TC comes with this Front Direct Coupling “Spool”.

Is it good for rally or will it be bad for the kit in the long run? I'm only using a silver can motor and not planning on using a more powerful motor anytime. I don't have a slipper clutch as well.

Thanks dude!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #1227
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ok, got it!

I have the XV-01 TC Pro. It was sold to me by a friend who bought additional parts to make it rally spec like the XV-01 Pro. It has the 3x32 tie rods (from TC Pro) on the rear giving the rear wheels a positive camber which I personally don't prefer.

I think I'll buy the 3x23 tie rods to make some changes.

Thanks Raman!
Make sure you pick up the 3x23 steel ones.. not the blue aluminium .. they bend too easily. I tend to upgrade to the titanium ones for the long run which can be costly.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #1228
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yes, Fyrstormer. I've noticed in the stock set-up of XV-01's that there is a slight positive camber but that is good for the car, as far as I know.

By the way, my 'converted-to-rally' XV-01 TC comes with this Front Direct Coupling “Spool”.

Is it good for rally or will it be bad for the kit in the long run? I'm only using a silver can motor and not planning on using a more powerful motor anytime. I don't have a slipper clutch as well.

Thanks dude!
The drive cups tend to wear quicker with a spool, that is why they are usually hardened steel.

The effect of a spool is more noticeable on high traction.. where it allows greater corner exit speed at the expense of corner entry, which results in understeer.

Since the XV01 is front heavy, you will already have plenty of steering, so tight front diff or a spool will actually reduce the tendency for the rear to over steer. I never bought the spool for mine but at present run 2.5 mill in my front diff
Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #1229
Tech Master

Quote:

Thanks dude!
The front spool is a matter of taste, if you like the way the car drives with it then don't bother converting it to use a diff instead. Spools are lower-maintenance. I have the front spool on my rear-motor XV-01 road car, and on my FWD XV-01 rally car.

I always install the slipper clutch if I possibly can. I like having the ability to mechanically limit maximum torque as necessary. My FWD XV-01 rally car, in particular, would be impossible to drive without torque-limiting.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #1230
Tech Regular

I am originally from T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikO View Post
Considering I'm in Toronto, I'll have to pass