R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree8Likes

Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #1156
Tech Regular

Haha. Yes, but I live in southern California, and all the grass is dead. It's not even that long! Just patches of 2-3 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
You could just mow the grass
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #1157
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
For the spur gear carrier, you can use the aluminium one from FF03 as well.
Quite an old post, but interesting. I've checked matching list, and it doesn't indicate that (#54234) FF-03 Alum. Spur Gear Mount would be compatible with XV-01.

Raman (or anybody else), can you please confirm that it does fit before I pull the trigger? My plastic holder is little damaged, so I need to replace it soon... Thanks...
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #1158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Quite an old post, but interesting. I've checked matching list, and it doesn't indicate that (#54234) FF-03 Alum. Spur Gear Mount would be compatible with XV-01.

Raman (or anybody else), can you please confirm that it does fit before I pull the trigger? My plastic holder is little damaged, so I need to replace it soon... Thanks...
I have been using it for years. Never had an issue.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #1159
Tech Master

Yes, the spur gear carrier is the same part for the FF-03, FF-04, and XV-01.

I strongly recommend using a slipper clutch, though. As a tuning option it's very useful in low-traction conditions. Not so much of an issue if you only run on pavement though.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #1160
Tech Regular

I second the recommendation for the slipper if it is cost permitting, it comes with a 77tooth 48DP spur gear. So you will need to have 48DP pinions.

The slipper is very useful for both off and on road. It also allows you to run the drive belt a little looser, which makes for a more efficient drivetrain.

The traction control it provides (on road in my experience) is much smoother and forgiving when coming out of corners at full throttle. When set a little loose, it feels like a controlled rubberband, yielding a little on initial throttle, then slingshotting to speed. Wheel spin is reduced, but you can always adjust how much you want.

Banned in competition onroad TC because it's like cheating, but a staple in the off-road scene. Funny how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Yes, the spur gear carrier is the same part for the FF-03, FF-04, and XV-01.

I strongly recommend using a slipper clutch, though. As a tuning option it's very useful in low-traction conditions. Not so much of an issue if you only run on pavement though.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #1161
Tech Regular

I found this thread of a guy who made his xv-01 into a drifter, but it might be of more interest to those who are looking for more steering. @haplm (you may have already seen this).

Xv-01 counter steer drift setup

It mainly starts with a TC model, but has aluminum upgrades, and extended bell cranks and turn buckles.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:41 AM   #1162
Tech Master

I think the ban was originally put in-place so older cars wouldn't become instantly obsolete, and now there's no strong demand for the ban to be lifted because on-road racers care more about reducing rotating mass than they do about gaining traction-control.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #1163
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
I second the recommendation for the slipper if it is cost permitting, it comes with a 77tooth 48DP spur gear. So you will need to have 48DP pinions.

The slipper is very useful for both off and on road. It also allows you to run the drive belt a little looser, which makes for a more efficient drivetrain.

The traction control it provides (on road in my experience) is much smoother and forgiving when coming out of corners at full throttle. When set a little loose, it feels like a controlled rubberband, yielding a little on initial throttle, then slingshotting to speed. Wheel spin is reduced, but you can always adjust how much you want.

Banned in competition onroad TC because it's like cheating, but a staple in the off-road scene. Funny how that works.
Thanks for confirming the FF-03 mount, guys.

The thing with slipper clutch is interesting. I couldn't find a single person who would be racing the car with it. Everytime I have mentioned it, people gave me very strange look. It seems that most people consider it unnecessary, or simply another thing that may break. Or they believe that they have superior throttle control, I really don't know. But I'll find out - next year :-). I wanted to mount it anyway, as I want to use more powerful motor (13.5 or 10.5), and there it really might help to protect the drivetrain...
Old 10-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #1164
Tech Adept

Quote:
I found this thread of a guy who made his xv-01 into a drifter, but it might be of more interest to those who are looking for more steering. @haplm (you may have already seen this).

Xv-01 counter steer drift setup

It mainly starts with a TC model, but has aluminum upgrades, and extended bell cranks and turn buckles.
No, I haven't seen this, thanks for posting!

BTW - My steering is completely different compared to the standard car. I mean completely - there's not a single part in common. But I'll definitely go through the pulley stuff...
Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #1165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for confirming the FF-03 mount, guys.

The thing with slipper clutch is interesting. I couldn't find a single person who would be racing the car with it. Everytime I have mentioned it, people gave me very strange look. It seems that most people consider it unnecessary, or simply another thing that may break. Or they believe that they have superior throttle control, I really don't know. But I'll find out - next year :-). I wanted to mount it anyway, as I want to use more powerful motor (13.5 or 10.5), and there it really might help to protect the drivetrain...
I subscribe to the group that finds it not necessary. The slipper was created back in the late 80s for off-road buggies. After taking big jumps, the ball diffs would slip. So they created a slipper clutch to take the abuse and safe the ball diffs.

Present day everyone is using a gear diff, which are very durable. So much so that majority of buggy brands are now offering a solid axle spur to bypass it.

Now you're not taking jumps many feet in the air like an off-road buggy. So it's not necessary.

The only drive line failure I have read from the rally guys in Colorado is the wearing of the spacer next to counter gear.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #1166
Tech Regular

What does changing the pulley sizes do? Why would you want one set of wheels to spin faster (or slower) than the other set?

Straight line vs turning?

Quote:
No, I haven't seen this, thanks for posting!

BTW - My steering is completely different compared to the standard car. I mean completely - there's not a single part in common. But I'll definitely go through the pulley stuff...
Old 10-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #1167
Tech Regular

So slippers were made for ball diff protection? And not traction control? I always thought it was to reduce wheel spin from too much torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I subscribe to the group that finds it not necessary. The slipper was created back in the late 80s for off-road buggies. After taking big jumps, the ball diffs would slip. So they created a slipper clutch to take the abuse and safe the ball diffs.

Present day everyone is using a gear diff, which are very durable. So much so that majority of buggy brands are now offering a solid axle spur to bypass it.

Now you're not taking jumps many feet in the air like an off-road buggy. So it's not necessary.

The only drive line failure I have read from the rally guys in Colorado is the wearing of the spacer next to counter gear.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:50 PM   #1168
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
What does changing the pulley sizes do? Why would you want one set of wheels to spin faster (or slower) than the other set?

Straight line vs turning?
It's for drifting. It forces the rear to break traction. They refer to it as a countersteering setup. One ways are often used in conjunction with the mismatched pulleys to get close to RWD.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 PM   #1169
Tech Adept

Quote:
So slippers were made for ball diff protection? And not traction control? I always thought it was to reduce wheel spin from too much torque.
As far as I know, they were made for drivetrain protection during jumps. When you land, your wheels are typically spinning quite fast, and suddenly they touch the ground. This is the moment when axles are snapping, driveshafts bending, and all sorts of other nasty things happening. ;-). I'm using slipper clutch exactly because of this on my 1/10 SCT truck, which I drive on 1/8 track. Without the clutch, I would destroy it in couple of runs, no matter how hardened my driveline is (a lot :-)). I solve wheelspin with throttle control :-). I hardly give the car full throttle (basically unless I'm safely pointing towards a longer straight)...
Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #1170
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
It's for drifting. It forces the rear to break traction. They refer to it as a countersteering setup. One ways are often used in conjunction with the mismatched pulleys to get close to RWD.
It's also called overdrive/underdrive (and there's bunch of threads around this). Very soft form of it can be achieved by using wheels with different diameter, using pulleys with different tooth count is a bit more aggressive. I'm not saying that I'm going to do this, at this point I'm just interested in the technique...