Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Tech Addict

Okay so I went and reamed out the body post holes maybe 2-3mm in the right direction. What a difference! The body really was not that much off. It was basically 2 posts that were too close together that was forcing the body to warp and exaggerate the lopsidedness. Once I added a little slack, the body rests pretty evenly now.

The rear, I can put some 3mm offset rims and/or 6mm hexes to space out to track stance. The front could use a little wider track too, but for now I am satisfied, happy that the body sits straight.

Suspension:
I drove my car around with some high grip radials at low speeds doing sharp turns. Right now I am using yellows up front and silvers in the rear, the third softest and softest springs I have. I will have to tighten up the suspension because the body rolls like a minivan trying to do slalom. Not like the sports car it's supposed to be 😊

I was pressing down on the windshield and wing, with the spring settings I have now and I can guess it won't take much to make the car squat down when driving at even 15-20mph. The bumper makes for a nice rigid backing for the front of the body so it won't bend.

Downforce here I come!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

How could you all let the Xv-01 thread get pushed to the second page of On-road Hmm?

There must be someone out there with an active xv-01.

Today I got the 4th wheel of the set of X pattern tires that my friend at work forgot when he gave me the first three. Ha. So now I have a full set. I must say the quality of the rubber is very good compared to the eBay tires I have. The rubber is definitely sticker, and feels a little thicker.

TC suspension:
I may have inadvertantly bid on some TC suspension from a Japanese shopping site called buyee.com. Basically it gives you access to all the Japanese bidding sites and they act as a middleman/broker to get the items shipped from Japan to your residence for a small fee.

It opens a whole can of consumer craziness when it comes to RC stuff now.

I picked up reversible RC suspension, with 44mm CVDs, and xv01TC aluminium suspension mounts for about 1/2 of what I would have spent. The fees can add up though so be careful.

The only thing I will need to get now is the 4x46mm suspension pins for the inner arms. These should be pretty inexpensive and widely available.

The only thing that I have not figured out yet, is how to get the sway bars to work.

Does anyone with a xv-01 TC have sway bars set up? I am pretty sure I can fandangle something with the existing ones. We shall see once all the parts get here. I don't know what this TC setup will get me, hopefully a wider stance and a little more setup options on the front end.

Sigh, papi made me do it 😋
Old 10-14-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Electric On-Road is pretty active, and the XV-01 is kind of a niche product, so...

That's a nice looking body. Who makes it?

For the XV-01TC, you can use the XV-01 front swaybar and the TA-05 rear swaybar with a small amount cut off the ends.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks. The body is a HPI BMW M3 GT2

Good thing about the sway bars. I would be disappointed if after switching over to TC suspension, that I could not fiddle with sways.

Springs and things
My assortment of springs. Order of stiffness.

[Soft] 4xSilver, Red, Yellow (4xWhite same as yellow), Blue, White [Hard]

I noticed the fewer coils, the stiffer the spring.

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Electric On-Road is pretty active, and the XV-01 is kind of a niche product, so...

That's a nice looking body. Who makes it?

For the XV-01TC, you can use the XV-01 front swaybar and the TA-05 rear swaybar with a small amount cut off the ends.

Last edited by 4roller; 10-14-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tires, tires, tires

Left to right.

Ride Slicks - USGT spec tire 24mm
HPI X-patterns D-compound
eBay Radials (Looks great!)
eBay Leaf Pattern Radials
eBay High Grip Radials
eBay Slicks

The tires with the squarest edges, Ride, Leaf radial, High- Grip radial have excellent corning ability. The ones with a rounder edges, like the x-patterns have only so-so cornering unless your on really clean tarmac.

I have not driven on the new radials, nor the slicks so i can't comment on them. But the new radials look promising.

Last edited by 4roller; 10-14-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, the fewer the coils, the stiffer the spring. (assuming the wire is the same thickness.) That's because a spring with fewer coils is made from a shorter length of wire, so each bit of wire has to twist more when the spring compresses.

That's why real cars that have cut-down springs ride very bouncy, because cutting the springs shorter also stiffens them, and the dampers aren't tuned to respond properly to stiffer springs.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

I am so glad I got a scale RC instead of a SCT with a goofy rally body. The scale realism is awesome. Albeit this is a HPI body and rim set.

Hella flush 😎

These rims are no joke. 6mm offset replica of Work Emotion rims with mirror finish hoops, 7mm hexes on the rear for extra stance.

Last edited by 4roller; 10-14-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Those are flush, not hellaflush. This atrocity is hellaflush:

Old 10-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Wrong Mr. Fyr, that's onikyan.
@4roller that's flush, to be hella flush the tire must barely clear the wheel well.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Just ordered a couple sets of those HPI radials. They have always given me the most traction for my street and the parking lots around here. I use the X-patterns too. They grip just enough to go fast but I can still drift and slide with them.

Love the Work wheels. We used the black ones on my buddy's Supra.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya XV-01-img_6358.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

I am going to have to decorate my workspace. Right now my home shop garage workbench is doubling as rc play station.

Metal One and fyrstormer look like they have nice clean workspaces.

Yes those rims look fly!

I just looked up the HPI v-groove radials. They look mighty similar to the knock-off high-grip radials I have. Not the best durability but great tire for cornering. I am pretty sure the rubber on the HPIs are a little different.

Originally Posted by Metal One
Just ordered a couple sets of those HPI radials. They have always given me the most traction for my street and the parking lots around here. I use the X-patterns too. They grip just enough to go fast but I can still drift and slide with them.

Love the Work wheels. We used the black ones on my buddy's Supra.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like something you might see at a rc drift meet 😄

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Those are flush, not hellaflush. This atrocity is hellaflush:

Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
I just looked up the HPI v-groove radials. They look mighty similar to the knock-off high-grip radials I have. Not the best durability but great tire for cornering. I am pretty sure the rubber on the HPIs are a little different.
Day and night, believe me. I have both, so I can compare. Those no-name tires are only good if you don't care about turn diameter, and unless you don't mind a lot of sliding...
Old 10-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Agreed, flush. When I am in turbo, and my tires are inflated, then it will be hella flush the front barely clears the arches. The rear clears nicely.

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Wrong Mr. Fyr, that's onikyan.
@4roller that's flush, to be hella flush the tire must barely clear the wheel well.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

The knock-off v-grooves turn much better than the slicks I have. So to me the turn radius is acceptable.

The sidewall deflection is pretty high. Which reminds me that I should try a harder foam custom cut for the sidewalls and soft foam in the center.

The slicks I have produce crazy push going in, and and crazy oversteer coming out of corners. They are pretty much the worst tire for dusty streets. However, they are invaluable tools for tuning purposes, since they exaggerate any imbalances in your car. And it's fun to just smash on them.

Originally Posted by haplm
Day and night, believe me. I have both, so I can compare. Those no-name tires are only good if you don't care about turn diameter, and unless you don't mind a lot of sliding...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.