R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 10-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #661
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

want to share my XV-01 TC evo with u guys. what do u think?

rc-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #662
Tech Master

That looks great! How did you manage that?
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #663
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

FF04 evo uses the front gear box of XV01.. Which leaves the rear end?
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #664
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-samurai View Post

Great job, please tell me the part list.
MichiK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:40 AM   #665
Tech Adept

I have to dig back through this thread but I just picked up a Gazoo TRD GT86 XV-01.

It's going to be my elite basher somewhat. There are three area off-road tracks here, two outdoor (both at one place) and one indoor. The indoor tracks are packed clay so the standard racing radials the kit comes with should be okay.

Like most places non-race days the outdoor tracks are dusty but since there's no class to run except for run what you brung type classes and my only concern is getting over the obstacles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztr4EV9qHTE

I know Raman tried to run an outdoor 1/8 scale nitro track while he was visiting relatives in Brazil and made most of the jump except one and I think he was using a 17.5T sensored setup.

Oh speaking of Brazil, I'll be headed there finally in Feb of 2016. But I need to get out more than just work and I'm making more money it's finally time to get back into R/C.

Last edited by djfourmoney; 11-28-2015 at 05:45 AM.
djfourmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #666
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I was wrong. The Asterion is still available. It's not listed under the XV-01 section of Tamiya's site for some odd reason, but you can get it and at an awesome price of $168.75 shipped. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58552

The more I build this XV the more I think "WTH were the Tamiya engineers thinking?!" Why are there so many unnecessary spacers, bushings, etc? The only thing I can think of is that this is a parts bin special and those items are needed to make parts fit. If not, it's a stupid design. Once everything is bolted together it's solid and stout, but it's over complicated. I'm sure some of the little, plastic spacers are going to go missing during maintenance or repairs.

Also, for the price of this kit, it should have more metal spacers and more aluminum.

I'm still trying to determine what motor and ESC I should go with.
nearly every parts tree for the xv01 is new.

Its no 4xx series car, but I do agree with you that it seems like it rather overcomplicated, especially the front gearbox. My guess is that all the extra bits and pieces somehow make it more durable and better running in the long term?
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #667
Tech Elite

The XV01 has become the formidable chassis for those that compete in the world of Rallye. Here in the US the only state where Rallye racing is organized is in Colorado and they all use the XV01. The front gear box design also made its way into the FF04 Evo, over its predecessor, the FF03. So it seems Tamiya did something right.

The chassis is complicated to service but its durable. As for the spacers.. i built mine so long ago that I don't recall which spacers you are referring to.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #668
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
I have to dig back through this thread but I just picked up a Gazoo TRD GT86 XV-01.

It's going to be my elite basher somewhat. There are three area off-road tracks here, two outdoor (both at one place) and one indoor. The indoor tracks are packed clay so the standard racing radials the kit comes with should be okay.

Like most places non-race days the outdoor tracks are dusty but since there's no class to run except for run what you brung type classes and my only concern is getting over the obstacles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztr4EV9qHTE

I know Raman tried to run an outdoor 1/8 scale nitro track while he was visiting relatives in Brazil and made most of the jump except one and I think he was using a 17.5T sensored setup.

Oh speaking of Brazil, I'll be headed there finally in Feb of 2016. But I need to get out more than just work and I'm making more money it's finally time to get back into R/C.
If I had set up that 17.5 with boost, I would have cleared that jump! The track was actually in the inland empire that I ran at. In Brazil I took it to a 1/5 scale track they had in the south. I ran a 10.5 with boost.. that was a blast!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #669
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

most of the shafts in the front gearbox use a combination of thin metal washers and pastic spacers. (to space the gears on a single plane correctly)
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #670
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
The XV01 has become the formidable chassis for those that compete in the world of Rallye. Here in the US the only state where Rallye racing is organized is in Colorado and they all use the XV01. The front gear box design also made its way into the FF04 Evo, over its predecessor, the FF03. So it seems Tamiya did something right.

The chassis is complicated to service but its durable. As for the spacers.. i built mine so long ago that I don't recall which spacers you are referring to.
Raman I see your posting on the RCCrawlers site more often than here. I have no problem joining you to run a rally class. I can make the trip out to Vegas a couple of times a month to run and support it.

The issue is interest/consistent entries. I think we should spend time recruiting we can't be the only XV-01 owners in a 300 mile radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
If I had set up that 17.5 with boost, I would have cleared that jump! The track was actually in the inland empire that I ran at. In Brazil I took it to a 1/5 scale track they had in the south. I ran a 10.5 with boost.. that was a blast!
Since I have to get a ESC for the car anyway, I am thinking about picking up a 17.5 sensored setup, cheap of course.
djfourmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #671
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

recently got a xv01 tc together...built it with the spool in front, and diff in back according to the instructions...WOW, it handles GREAT! i love the front weight bias...

almost thinking how it'd handle as a touring car with the spool in the back..i know it'd drift better in that configuration, but i dont know if i want to make it more towards drift, as i have another older sedan for that...

i built the kit according to the instructions, but i'll have to go and re-do the lengths for the from turnbuckles...too much camber and toe is a bit off...i swear i built it according to the lengths in the manual though...anyone else run into this same issue?
nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #672
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just ordered an XV01T from Tamiyausa.com for $112. I got an FF03 kit for $100 at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how they stack up to my TA02 rally setup and the ancient FF01.
longuylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #673
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-samurai View Post

Cmon, you post this and then disappears? How did you manage it??
Cheers
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #674
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Cmon, you post this and then disappears? How did you manage it??
Cheers
Without analysing the parts, wouldn;t it just be a XV-01 on carbon chassis - either standard tamiya FF or custom made?

Probably easy enough to do, but prob no good for rallying with all the open bits...
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #675
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone running the 69 mustang or 57 belair body on this chassis?
vintage tone is offline   Reply With Quote