R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #571
Tech Apprentice

guys for the long damper spec, any recommendations for shock springs to run on tarmac?
jason1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #572
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1980 View Post
guys for the long damper spec, any recommendations for shock springs to run on tarmac?
I would look into hard springs. It will keep it from rolling around too much, especially with those high shock towers, which will raise up the cog a bit.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #573
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I would look into hard springs. It will keep it from rolling around too much, especially with those high shock towers, which will raise up the cog a bit.
Yeah, the body Roll on the long dampers really mimics the actual rally car
Need to stiffen it for more grip.
jason1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 AM   #574
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1980 View Post
Yeah, the body Roll on the long dampers really mimics the actual rally car
Need to stiffen it for more grip.
Harder springs / less body roll actually reduces grip. Unless the springs are so soft that the weight transfer can't actually follow through to the tires, but I'm doubting that's the case. If you want to reduce body roll I'd go for the sway bar kit first and start soft. If you're doing offroad, going too stiff on springs/bars will make for an unpleasant ride with no grip.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #575
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Harder springs / less body roll actually reduces grip. Unless the springs are so soft that the weight transfer can't actually follow through to the tires, but I'm doubting that's the case. If you want to reduce body roll I'd go for the sway bar kit first and start soft. If you're doing offroad, going too stiff on springs/bars will make for an unpleasant ride with no grip.
I agree with metalnut. For tarmac, increasing the spring rate will reduce grip in order to reduce body roll; it might introduce either some heavy understeer or oversteer. When talking suspension, there is no easy solution, itīs all about compromises. The setup that works for me is to have somewhat soft springs and stiff sway bars. Conceptually, sway bars are just springs positioned in a different location.

An example of a similar configuration: soft springs, stiff arbs is the Impreza STI. The 1998 Impreza STI version IV, for example, has:

Front:
-Spring Rate/Wheel Rate (lb/in) = 196/180
-ARB rate/Wheel Rate (lb/in) =400/268

Rear:
-Spring Rate/Wheel Rate (lb/in) = 174/135
-ARB rate/Wheel Rate (lb/in) =285/168
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #576
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Weather is finally starting to cool off here in Las Vegas.. Time to pull out the XV-01
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #577
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Hi everyone, I have a XV-01 Pro and im planning to use it in rally races! Can someone pass me a good base suspension setup? Seems the standard setup rebounds too much on the floor...this is normal?

Thanks!
manuelargentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #578
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Weather is finally starting to cool off here in Las Vegas.. Time to pull out the XV-01
I thought you had sold your XV-01?! Im sensing a last minute regret there!
Howīs going there mate?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #579
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelargentina View Post
Hi everyone, I have a XV-01 Pro and im planning to use it in rally races! Can someone pass me a good base suspension setup? Seems the standard setup rebounds too much on the floor...this is normal?

Thanks!
Que haces loco?
What do you mean by rebound on the floor?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #580
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Que haces loco?
What do you mean by rebound on the floor?
Todo bien loco! I mean on the ground..
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #581
Tech Adept

Quote:
Todo bien loco! I mean on the ground..
Right, but what specifically, that its too high on the ground, or that its rebound damping rates are too high, or that the damperīs travel length is too extended?
Rebound is actually one of the damperīs motion: Bump = compression, Rebound = extension. I do believe that youīre referring to the Ride Height instead, or perhaps the height of the suspension pickup point.

Abrazo
Old 10-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #582
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Right, but what specifically, that its too high on the ground, or that its rebound damping rates are too high, or that the damperīs travel length is too extended?
Rebound is actually one of the damperīs motion: Bump = compression, Rebound = extension. I do believe that youīre referring to the Ride Height instead, or perhaps the height of the suspension pickup point.

Abrazo
It is more like that the oil is too soft or that the springs are too hard, springs are kit included and the oil the clear one, and just want to know if everyone use the car with stock shock setup or should I change something..?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #583
Tech Adept

Quote:
It is more like that the oil is too soft or that the springs are too hard, springs are kit included and the oil the clear one, and just want to know if everyone use the car with stock shock setup or should I change something..?

Thanks for your help!
Oh, ok, yeah youīre right! I actually use a mixture up front. We could get some calculations, like the wheel rate and suspension frequency, but itīd be hard to get the correct damping values provided by the dampers. What I did was to mix the dampers oil on the fly, I mean, I had the stock #1000 tamiya oil in the dampers. While testing the damping rate I kept adding a few drops of #10.000 until I felt it was set.

One other thing that came to my mind regarding Rebound, is that it can be adjusted to the moment you close the damperīs cap. To avoid light rebound, make sure that the damper is fully compressed when you screw in the damperīs cap.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #584
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh, ok, yeah youīre right! I actually use a mixture up front. We could get some calculations, like the wheel rate and suspension frequency, but itīd be hard to get the correct damping values provided by the dampers. What I did was to mix the dampers oil on the fly, I mean, I had the stock #1000 tamiya oil in the dampers. While testing the damping rate I kept adding a few drops of #10.000 until I felt it was set.

One other thing that came to my mind regarding Rebound, is that it can be adjusted to the moment you close the damperīs cap. To avoid light rebound, make sure that the damper is fully compressed when you screw in the damperīs cap.
Great tips! I'll try that way and let you know the results

Thanks for the help man!!!

Saludos
Old 10-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #585
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Great tips! I'll try that way and let you know the results

Thanks for the help man!!!

Saludos
The kit springs are very hard and the oil is very soft. You can get the spring kit or you can run TC shocks/springs if you're willing to mess around with that. The spring kit for the XV has some soft springs in it, I've tried it with 40wt AE oil and it was ok, 50wt felt a little better. But it all depends on conditions.

Also, the arms have holes for droop screws. The way the chassis is designed you'll need pretty long ones, but it can be done and it works. I was able to run the XV in a TCS race and it wasn't bad.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote