R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

You can't increase the ride height any further, without modding and hacking away at the chassis. Then you also risk damaging the out drives because the dog pin and CVD will come close to edge and may pop out. In the end, It's a onroad based cross over chassis.

My issue with the long spec is as follows, you have Mini CVA bodies that hold less oil, paired with longer piston and TRF503 front springs. That makes for a bouncy car with less dampening... Um that's supposed to help when?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #527
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "buggy guys"?
I mean those who already own 1/10 scale buggies and have tons of different spring rates to fit on the car. The long damper kit opens plenty of new possibilities in tuning the chassis.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #528
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
You can't increase the ride height any further, without modding and hacking away at the chassis. Then you also risk damaging the out drives because the dog pin and CVD will come close to edge and may pop out. In the end, It's a onroad based cross over chassis.

My issue with the long spec is as follows, you have Mini CVA bodies that hold less oil, paired with longer piston and TRF503 front springs. That makes for a bouncy car with less dampening... Um that's supposed to help when?
I can't find out which shocks come with the standard XV01. Are they the same size as what came on the DF03ra?
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #529
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
I can't find out which shocks come with the standard XV01. Are they the same size as what came on the DF03ra?
Normal TC-style TRF shocks, except they use the crappier pistons. With short ball ends they're basically TC length, but with the longer ends they can give a 10mm ride height.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #530
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Normal TC-style TRF shocks, except they use the crappier pistons. With short ball ends they're basically TC length, but with the longer ends they can give a 10mm ride height.
I only ask because I'm pretty sure the DF03ra came with super mini CVA shocks. I think the shocks that came with the Long Damper kit are the mini CVA shocks, which I believe came on the TB01. Just trying to figure out if there is actually a difference between kits.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #531
Tech Fanatic

Default Question:

I can't remember if this was brought up before, but has anyone ran into an issue where when the suspension is at full droop, the toe/steering link ball ends catch on the lip of the chassis when steering. I found this when I was bench testing, but I thought that it was strange.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #532
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
I can't remember if this was brought up before, but has anyone ran into an issue where when the suspension is at full droop, the toe/steering link ball ends catch on the lip of the chassis when steering. I found this when I was bench testing, but I thought that it was strange.
Yep, this is a known issue. I use droop screws to limit the arm travel, luckily the stock arms have holes for them

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #533
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Yep, this is a known issue. I use droop screws to limit the arm travel, luckily the stock arms have holes for them
This is an issue that everyone who use the longer shock rod ends (which are included in the same parts tree, but not used according to the manual) run into. Droop screws prevent this, but you might still not able to use the full stroke of the shocks since the shocks might bottom out before the chassis hits the floor, because of the 5mm longer rod ends (this is only my theory since I haven't used the long ends, so correct me if I'm wrong).

To fully utilize the stroke, the shocks should extend to right before the tie rod/ball joint hits the chassis, and the shocks shouldn't bottom out before the chassis hits the floor. I think the perfect shock length for this is 2.5-3mm longer than with the short ends.

I use short rod ends unscrewed 2mm and it seems that another millimeter would be optimal, but I don't want to unscrew the rod ends any longer. I would like the slightly longer rods used in the front shocks of the XV-01TC, in my opinon the regular XV-01 should have these rods as standard to utilize as much stroke as possible but still keep the tie rods from hitting the chassis.
cheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #534
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone toyed with beveling the rod end, and/or chassis to reduce the interference? I'm kind of surprised, when I sat this next to my DF03ra, the maximum front droop was actually less on the XV01. That was before I realized the steering linkage interfered.

Last edited by angrymelon; 04-22-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: That's a lotta NUTS!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #535
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Has anyone toyed with beveling the rod end, and/or chassis to reduce the interference? I'm kind of surprised, when I sat this next to my DF03ra, the maximum front droop was actually less on the XV01. That was before I realized the steering linkage interfered.
I remember seeing somewhere (think it was on UltimateRC) that someone Dremel'd off the suspension arm mounting block where the rod hits, maybe on the edge of the chassis too. He also cut the outer ball joint cups a little shorter. It should definitely help somewhat.

I think he used the rearmost mounting position for the steering linkage also, to get the tie rods away from the suspension mounts.
cheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #536
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheba View Post
I remember seeing somewhere (think it was on UltimateRC) that someone Dremel'd off the suspension arm mounting block where the rod hits, maybe on the edge of the chassis too. He also cut the outer ball joint cups a little shorter. It should definitely help somewhat.

I think he used the rearmost mounting position for the steering linkage also, to get the tie rods away from the suspension mounts.
Thanks for the info! I've been slowly reading through their XV01 forum, so I'll find it eventually

Last edited by angrymelon; 04-23-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: derp
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #537
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

the only real problem created with going with more suspension droop is anything more that the stock dampers with the short rod ends a little loos results in shock that bottom out before the chassis, and if that is really bad.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #538
Tech Fanatic

I've not finished with the build yet, but I did get the shocks mounted and figured I'd take some ride height pictures with shell. This is without most of the electronics, it only had the silver can motor and a shorty pack I threw in there. This also doesn't have any pre-load spacers on the shocks. The body is sitting as low as it can go in the front, so they definitely cut it close. The bottom edge of the body follows nicely with the lower edge of the chassis. Depending on the body, little room for adjustment here Once the thing has some weight in it, I'm guessing I'll actually have to add some pre-load and raise it back up a bit.

Difference between front and rear shocks when compared to the DF03ra. I added 1mm spacers to the front shocks to prevent them from binding with the chassis. The instructions called for one that was nearly 3mm, which seemed excessive. No spacers are used in the rear.

Sorry about the crappy pictures, I had to lighten them up so you could see the fender gap. Overall, it doesn't sit nearly as high as I thought it would which makes me happy

-melon

Last edited by angrymelon; 04-24-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: hork
Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #539
Tech Adept

Quote:
Finally made a little bit of progress on the XV01 Long Damper. Below are some photos of the new towers installed. I should've done a side by side with the originals, since they also came in the kit.

More to come...

Thatīs awesome! I always thought that its suspension geometry was poorly designed when it came out. With the regular TRF shocks and short damper ball link it easily bottomed out, with the longer ones it became too high. It didnt even use the damperīs full travel range.

Now with this new shock towers we can optimize the suspension travel.

How did you buy it? As far as I know, it wasnt even released yet!
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #540
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
How did you buy it? As far as I know, it wasnt even released yet!
I bought it from Towerhobbies.com.