Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Finally made a little bit of progress on the XV01 Long Damper. Below are some photos of the new towers installed. I should've done a side by side with the originals, since they also came in the kit.

More to come...
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Does it come with the slipper? And how are those tower in terms of stifness? So more towards a carbon tower, or more towards a bendy stock tamiya tower?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Does it come with the slipper? And how are those tower in terms of stifness? So more towards a carbon tower, or more towards a bendy stock tamiya tower?
Nah it didn't come with the slipper. I picked that up along with some aluminum bits and the sway bar set. The towers are insanely stiff. They're a lot thicker than I had anticipated and don't appear to have any give what so ever.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

I think they should include the slipper in the kit. It was built to be able to take one, and then they charge you 50 dollars more for it.

I think i need a carbon plate tower on the front at least. During compression of the shock the stock tower has a good 2-3mm of flex.

Is there some advantage to the long damper spec? The ride height appears the same same and you arent going to be taking huge jumps with this type of car...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I think they should include the slipper in the kit. It was built to be able to take one, and then they charge you 50 dollars more for it.

I think i need a carbon plate tower on the front at least. During compression of the shock the stock tower has a good 2-3mm of flex.

Is there some advantage to the long damper spec? The ride height appears the same same and you arent going to be taking huge jumps with this type of car...
I agree, it's highway robbery with how much they charge for the slipper. I'm not sure if there is any advantage to the Long Damper version yet. If anything, it may actually end up being more problematic, as body choices might be limited. Once I get this thing finished, I have several rally bodies that I can plunk down on it and see how they fit. I'll report my findings, hopefully with pictures.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by angrymelon
I agree, it's highway robbery with how much they charge for the slipper. I'm not sure if there is any advantage to the Long Damper version yet. If anything, it may actually end up being more problematic, as body choices might be limited. Once I get this thing finished, I have several rally bodies that I can plunk down on it and see how they fit. I'll report my findings, hopefully with pictures.
can't wait to hear it.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i found a couple pics of the xv01 pro and long damper versions. big difference in shock tower height. i may go with a rally legends but not sure yet. i need to check out metal nuts car first.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya XV-01-custom_head.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-header_84375.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
i found a couple pics of the xv01 pro and long damper versions. big difference in shock tower height. i may go with a rally legends but not sure yet. i need to check out metal nuts car first.
As people are saying above, the long shock version may be difficult with rally bodies. I'll clean my car up and get it ready for play, but I won't have it Saturday. I let Stewart drive it in the Hangar a few months ago and he really thrashed it, the thing is filthy and everything needs to be cleaned. Also, I borrowed electronics from it, so I have to rewire it all. Shouldn't take too long

Check out my gallery for the XV in rally form (white BMW E30) and drift form (gray Toyota AE86). I love this car
Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Here are some shots of the front suspension arms. I'm guessing nothing changed here, and I doubt that it has any more droop than the other XV01 variations. /sad face

This is starting to not make any sense
Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The only way to get more droop angle would be to raise the suspension mounts by placing more spacers beneath them.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
The only way to get more droop angle would be to raise the suspension mounts by placing more spacers beneath them.
Raman, does that look pretty standard compared to yours? The instructions did have me add some of the spacers, but nothing dramatic. I'm just trying to understand what the reason was for the Long Damper kit. I guess I should wait till I finish the damn thing before I speculate further.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think that tamiya designed the long damper kit for those buggy guys that already have long springs to tune the chassis.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I think we are all a little confused about the long suspension spec. They should have marketed it with a body, so we would not have to guess what it's purpose will be.

From the pictures, it looks about the same.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Smile
I think that tamiya designed the long damper kit for those buggy guys that already have long springs to tune the chassis.
I'm not sure what you mean by "buggy guys"?

Originally Posted by Raman
I think we are all a little confused about the long suspension spec. They should have marketed it with a body, so we would not have to guess what it's purpose will be.

From the pictures, it looks about the same.
I would assume that the purpose is a standard rally car. I make this assumption based on the fact that the car comes with rally car wheels and rally block tires, and in the details on Tamiya's site it specifies fitment with standard rally car bodies. Alas, we'll see how strange this thing is soon enough.

Thanks for comparing it to yours.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by angrymelon
I'm not sure what you mean by "buggy guys"?

The shocks are close to buggy length shocks, so springs from those will fit. You can get a softer and more tunable suspension this was. This guys who run buggies can use their springs.

I would assume that the purpose is a standard rally car. I make this assumption based on the fact that the car comes with rally car wheels and rally block tires, and in the details on Tamiya's site it specifies fitment with standard rally car bodies. Alas, we'll see how strange this thing is soon enough.

Thanks for comparing it to yours.
Im not sure than a ride height anymore than what is stock would be very benificial, I was able to roll my chassis over almost at while running the stock tires. A taller rideheight would make it pretty unstable. This car was never really designed to take huge bumps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.