R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #496
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post
The new long damper version has much higher shock towers & near buggy length shocks
Exactly, that was why I was concerned it would be too tall. It listed out the three most common rally bodies, saying they fit. I couldn't find much info on the kit, I'm hoping that it just had more dampening and longer suspension travel.

-melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #497
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

finished the build of my kit. couple let downs.... the trf shocks don't come with delrin pistons, and the way these build with the seals, they don't seal very well, and with no delrin pistons they aren't super smooth. the bulkheads also seem to catch lots of dust.

other than that, it seem like it is going to be a great car!
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #498
Tech Fanatic

Wooohooo!

Hopefully get to start the build soon.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #499
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I admit that I don't fully understand the purpose of the long damper kit with this one. The regular XV-01 already has a fairly high suspension (10mm ride height easily), which in my experience is plenty for what the rest of the car can do. What are you guys doing with these long damper ones? Taking them off of some sweet jumps?

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #500
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
finished the build of my kit. couple let downs.... the trf shocks don't come with delrin pistons, and the way these build with the seals, they don't seal very well, and with no delrin pistons they aren't super smooth. the bulkheads also seem to catch lots of dust.

other than that, it seem like it is going to be a great car!
Yeah, the shocks were a bit of a let down, but at least I didn't feel as bad getting them filthy as I would the higher spec TRF ones. One thing I noticed is that box stock, the car is severely tweaked. My has been a shelf queen for a few months (indoor carpet racing season), but I'm going to rebuild it soon for the summer and really try to get it de-tweaked. I want it to have a nice balance left to right.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #501
Tech Champion

500 post! I would think the long damper spec would be a little tipsy on asphalt. My car with the stock hard tires was almost flipping on dusty asphalt.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #502
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I admit that I don't fully understand the purpose of the long damper kit with this one. The regular XV-01 already has a fairly high suspension (10mm ride height easily), which in my experience is plenty for what the rest of the car can do. What are you guys doing with these long damper ones? Taking them off of some sweet jumps?
Cliff jumping lol. It's one of those Lost In Translation kits by Tamiya
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #503
Tech Champion

so, the xv01 makes an amazing drifter. it seemed to handle comparably to my VDF and it handled much better that my ta-05 v.2 both setup to drift.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #504
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
so, the xv01 makes an amazing drifter. it seemed to handle comparably to my VDF and it handled much better that my ta-05 v.2 both setup to drift.
Totally does :-) if you look in my gallery you'll see mine setup for drift as well with the gun metal Toyota body. That's why I love this car, so much flexibility.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #505
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
Wooohooo!

Hopefully get to start the build soon.
Angrymelon, after your build, can you post pics on the front suspension arms so I can see how it clears the suspension mounts?

My educated guess however is that the standard shocks with long ends will still have a taller ride height.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #506
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile View Post
Angrymelon, after your build, can you post pics on the front suspension arms so I can see how it clears the suspension mounts?

My educated guess however is that the standard shocks with long ends will still have a taller ride height.
Of course! I'm hoping I'll find time this weekend to get crackin' on it. I got all the parts layed out and ready to start

Yeah, since this is my first experience with the XV01, I'm not sure how large or subtle the differences with the standard car will be. People in this thread have got me second guessing my purchase I just assumed that they made changes to allow for more droop/ground clearance. I don't think this is a bad thing when combined with some swaybars. In my opinion all the 1/10 rally cars typically ride too low for offroad use, unless you're running on a prepared smooth surface. Introduce any kind of gravel and it looks like you're driving on a rock quarry.

-melon
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #507
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Am glad Tamiya came out with another rally kit. Means there is still interest / demand / progression.

Now if only there were some really cool rally races.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #508
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphunRacing View Post
Am glad Tamiya came out with another rally kit. Means there is still interest / demand / progression.

Now if only there were some really cool rally races.
There is a nice RC rally movement in EU, some of those guys post videos here that make all of us jealous. I tried to round up interest in my area (we have a big RC crowd here), but nobody is into it. I may try again once more people know who I am.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #509
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Well I ordered it, so I guess I'll be finding out first hand real soon I hadn't even thought about the front mounted motor, my concern was focused on how much higher the shock towers are now. I haven't seen a body mounted to a Long Damper version yet, so time will surely tell.

Thanks again,
melon
See if you can borrow before you buy. They list the Arai WRX, but I'm sure when I owned that body I had it only one hole up. My current body (tamiya Evo 7) actually sits ON the standard shock tower, so would be sitting waaaay to high with the long dampers. I got a mate on another forum to test the hpi Evo 6. It sits too high on the standard towers too.

Oh well, everyone needs a Guinea Pig to do our testing for us
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #510
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I recently sold my TRF416 and due to the mixed reviews of the TRF418, I have held off buying one. Which leaves me with one chassis for TC, the XV01 Pro.

Last week I raced it in an RCGT class. (17.5 20 deg timing + boost) I didn't do all that well, but I blame that to my driving skills not the car.

My present set up is silver dirt tuned springs up front with 50wt oil 0 camber. Front diff had 50k. Hard sway bar.

Rear oil 35wt with topcad super soft spring, -2 camber and 1k in rear diff. Soft sway bar. Suspension mounts: 1mm shim under rear once piece

Body was the GT86, tyres were Sorex 36 and 32 (changed when temp dropped). Traction compound SXT.

I find that with this set up, the rear is pretty planted. It doesn't try to come around off throttle.

_________

Last night I decided to work on the car and reduced the steering slop etc by shimming. I also removed front diff (was actually empty lol) and I put diff lock putty in there. Rear I filled back up with 1k.

While shimming the rear arms, I decided to remove all the spacers from underneath the mounts. Thinking that would lower the arms and make it more like a TC. Well I was wrong lol. The shock towers on this car are higher than normal, so when you lower the arms, the short shock ends become useless and arms do not droop at all. If you switch to the longer shock ends, then the arms will droop, however you can't reach a 4/5 mm ride height with the standard springs. Which means using shorter springs.. Since that topcad spring has been working like a charm, I'm reluctant to make a change.. Hard to find a spring that soft What a mess.

So the real solution is going with the TC suspensions arms. I looked into the parts to make the change (using the new trf418 arms) and it's $50-$60 worth of parts.

This hobby is never easy on the pocket lol.. So I'm undecided.. On which route to take.