R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #481
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I just ordered one of these cars, any tips?
That depends on what you want to do with it. Bashing/rally or something more competitive?

In general they are pretty good out of the box, though I would order a set of the optional Tamiya offroad springs to get the suspension to a more usable state. Alternatively you could get some 1/10th TC shocks (like the Spec-R ones from TQRC) and use TC springs. That will lower the car for pure onroad/asphalt use.

I'd also recommend the optional slipper spur setup if you're going offroad, as people have stripped internal gears without it. You can also get the sway bar set if you want to do more onroad/competitive stuff.

Did you get the Pro kit? Fitting an ESC into the covered compartment can be tricky, depending on the size of the one you're using. Also, the distance from the motor to the ESC is rather long, so if you're going sensored make sure you have a sensor cable that's long enough.

The good news is that normal 12mm hex 1/10th wheels fit perfectly, so you have a large selection of everything from offroad/rally to onroad/drifting. The belts are tough and covered and overall the kit is nice and durable.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #482
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

i plan to have it as my street basher/ casual club racer chassis. I got the pro kit because i wanted all the nice goodies.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #483
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

My rec: get the carbon reinforced suspension holders. The stop plastic is soft and during a club race your arms could easily pop out. +1 on the sway bars and carbon rear tower for additional shock positions. Front one is kind of useless since it doesn't offer any new settings.

I also have the alu steering.. But honestly it doesn't really take out any additional slop.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #484
Tech Elite

If going for club racing and TC shocks, the only tough part is getting the downstop/droop to where it should be. Unless I'm doing something very wrong, you have to use a very long droop screw to get the arms to the right position with the shorter shocks.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #485
Tech Champion

Aren't the shocks already tc length shocks?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #486
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Depends if he got the pro tc spec or the normal pro (rally spec)
79 mk1 Sand Scorcher, 09 Buggy Champ, TB01 Lancer Evo 7, TL01 Lancer Evo 6, TA02 Castrol Celica, TA02SW Taisan Porsche, TA02W Castrol Supra, TA03F Starion drifter, M06pro Gemini coupe, Tamiya Dyna Storm 5.5t, Stadium Blitzer, Bear Hawk, Baja FAV, Egress!
redzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #487
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

The standard and pro are normal tc length. The TC version comes with slightly longer front shocks shafts.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #488
Tech Elite

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The stock shocks with the longer ends are what I use with the Tamiya offroad springs. I use the Spec-R shocks with Spec-R springs (and the shorter ends) for a lower suspension setup. I'm a bit OCD so I don't like running the same shocks on and off road. The shock body length is the same, just different end lengths.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 PM   #489
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The stock shocks with the longer ends are what I use with the Tamiya offroad springs. I use the Spec-R shocks with Spec-R springs (and the shorter ends) for a lower suspension setup. I'm a bit OCD so I don't like running the same shocks on and off road. The shock body length is the same, just different end lengths.
oh, i see. thanks.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #490
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone heard of any body limitations with the Long Damper version of the XV01? Edit: I noticed on Tamiyausa.com that it says several of the standard rally bodies fit, so I guess that probably answers my question

Thanks!
melon

Last edited by angrymelon; 04-04-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Found new info!
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #491
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
Has anyone heard of any body limitations with the Long Damper version of the XV01? Edit: I noticed on Tamiyausa.com that it says several of the standard rally bodies fit, so I guess that probably answers my question

Thanks!
melon
I think most 190mm and 200mm bodies should fit, as long as they have enough room for the front-mounted motor. So, something like a Porsche or Ferrari may not work, as the front hood is way too low to clear the motor. I have a BMW E30 body and it fits great.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #492
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I think most 190mm and 200mm bodies should fit, as long as they have enough room for the front-mounted motor. So, something like a Porsche or Ferrari may not work, as the front hood is way too low to clear the motor. I have a BMW E30 body and it fits great.
Thanks for the quick reply! Well I ordered it, so I guess I'll be finding out first hand real soon I hadn't even thought about the front mounted motor, my concern was focused on how much higher the shock towers are now. I haven't seen a body mounted to a Long Damper version yet, so time will surely tell.

Thanks again,
melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #493
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Well I ordered it, so I guess I'll be finding out first hand real soon I hadn't even thought about the front mounted motor, my concern was focused on how much higher the shock towers are now. I haven't seen a body mounted to a Long Damper version yet, so time will surely tell.

Thanks again,
melon
My E30 body does sit almost on top of the front shock tower, actually (I have the XV-01 Pro kit). I think my body posts are cut down to like 2 or maaaaybe 3 holes, that's it. Little stumps.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #494
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The new long damper version has much higher shock towers & near buggy length shocks
79 mk1 Sand Scorcher, 09 Buggy Champ, TB01 Lancer Evo 7, TL01 Lancer Evo 6, TA02 Castrol Celica, TA02SW Taisan Porsche, TA02W Castrol Supra, TA03F Starion drifter, M06pro Gemini coupe, Tamiya Dyna Storm 5.5t, Stadium Blitzer, Bear Hawk, Baja FAV, Egress!
redzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #495
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post
The new long damper version has much higher shock towers & near buggy length shocks
Ok, I'm missing something... what's this long damper version? Got a Tamiya part number? I thought we had the original XV-01 and Pro kits, then the TC version, and then the RTR versions with the different bodies.

Edit: just found it http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-84375

Interesting. Sorry if I gave the wrong advice, I didn't realize this existed.

- Ricky Bobby