R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #451
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'll put my vote in for Hobbywing ESCs, I run a Justock in my XV and it's flawless. If you want sensorless, their EZRun ESCs are also very nice, I have one in a little Kemora and even sensorless I get no cogging at all.

As for motors, there are many good ones out there, but for my XV I selected a 10.5 SMC. The SMC motors are built by Dualsky and are VERY nice, especially for the low price. Smooth as butter too.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #452
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Sensorless is more efficient? Disagree, its more economical for bashing yes. Many bashers eventually get bored of bashing (including myself) and decide to show up to a club race and end up needing to buy a sensor system, after they watch their cars cog when they try to get going. So why not do it right from the get go and save money.

One more thing to worry about? Its a wire, you plug it in and its connected. Without sensors you have to deal with cogging constantly.. cogging is far more inefficient than a hall sensor.

The inefficiency myth was created by Castle Creations to justify their ESC / Motors not having one. Sensored ESC switches to non sensor mode because once the rotor has passed its initial starting point, it is not necessary to know its position. Castle eventually ate his words and now sells sensored ESC as well.
From my point of view you won't have any trouble with cooging if you buy a good ESC. The ESC which came with the combo had al lot cogging and it wasn't fun, but with the Genius 75 you don't have any Cogging. It might be not as smooth as sensored, but it is nethertheless smooth enough for rallying and I am pretty shire that 2013 ESCs have a even better sensorless mode.

But all in all I think I'll prefer the sensored solution.
How does the justock fit the Xv-01s electronic Box?

Last edited by muesli; 12-08-2013 at 10:24 PM.
muesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #453
Tech Rookie

Which combo would you prefer for the XV-01?
1: http://www.rcmart.com/novak-sportsma...0-p-33580.html
2: http://www.rcmart.com/novak-club-spe...m-p-36075.html
3: or the Hobbywing you stock, which costs 54 Euros down here with a LRP X12 Stock in 17,5 or 13,5 ( 40 Euros)
muesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #454
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muesli View Post
Which combo would you prefer for the XV-01?
1: http://www.rcmart.com/novak-sportsma...0-p-33580.html
2: http://www.rcmart.com/novak-club-spe...m-p-36075.html
3: or the Hobbywing you stock, which costs 54 Euros down here with a LRP X12 Stock in 17,5 or 13,5 ( 40 Euros)

U may consider the speed passion reventon s combo with the 3500kv motor or the stock club with yeah racing motor combo
viktozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #455
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
What´s an overdrive?
Anybody else set up their car with the overdrive setup/option? Im curious to hear opinions
TT01Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #456
Tech Adept

Does anyone know of softer-than-stock springs that Amain carries, such as this, for example:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ngs-22lb-Red-2

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...gs-17lb-Blue-2

I run mostly on a track I scratch out of a dirt driveway/roundabout, and find the stock springs bounce the car around with every bump.
Tamiya XV-01 Pro ../.. Team Durango DEX210; DEX410; DEX408v2
Yokomo B-Max III Factory www.corvictoria.com
DangerCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #457
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCow View Post
Does anyone know of softer-than-stock springs that Amain carries, such as this, for example:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ngs-22lb-Red-2

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...gs-17lb-Blue-2

I run mostly on a track I scratch out of a dirt driveway/roundabout, and find the stock springs bounce the car around with every bump.
I the super soft from top cad with 35wt Losi oil in the rear. The rear end doesn't step out anymore off throttle..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2OC05U/...I1VDHY5LMDGCF7
Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #458
Tech Adept

Thumbs up First Run.

My XV-01TC PRO is now rally ready!

I took it out for it's first run today. The track was really tacky. Even had a few puddles on a couple of the corners. I steered clear of those.

I had a ball. The car feels great. The track has been used by a lot of 1/8 buggies and was really rutted. I even almost cleared the double, just need a little more power. It's really surprising how well this car flies...

It was, however, getting heavier and heavier due to the amount of dirt and mud that was being held in the chassis.

I think I have either a skipping belt, or I need to tighten up the slipper clutch a little. It sounded like the belt but I'm going to check both once the cleaning is done.

The mud also locked up the rear left wheel, and caused a lot of binding in the servo after a time.

So let the cleaning begin.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Funny you are the 3rd person to use the E30 M3 as a rallye body on the XV-01... I just retired mine. Maybe BMW should have done a rallye version of the car.

Last year I did the same, ran it on an 1/8 off road track.. Car jumped great, left the track with zero damage.. Was thoroughly amazed.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #460
Tech Adept

Quote:
Funny you are the 3rd person to use the E30 M3 as a rallye body on the XV-01... I just retired mine. Maybe BMW should have done a rallye version of the car.

Last year I did the same, ran it on an 1/8 off road track.. Car jumped great, left the track with zero damage.. Was thoroughly amazed.
I must admit, seeing one of the E30 M3s on this chassis was what inspired me to do it. It looks cool running over the dirt.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #461
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys,
Any chance someone can post a pic of steering on full lock? I have done a few mods and would like to be able to compare it to the original steering angle but didn't take any photos myself before I started. Too much cutting has been done to go back to the original setup.

For anyone interested I'm attempting a drift setup with this chassis. So far I am overdriving the rear wheels by 25% but also have pulleys on the way to increase it to 50% with the stock belt. I have more info on another forum but if you would like to know more I am happy to share more details here too :-).

Anyway, here is my current full lock. I don't think it's a massive improvement, but it would be nice to be able to compare to stock. Thanks guys!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-1.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-2.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-3.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-4.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-5.jpg  

icekreme1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #462
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey I'm interested. Can you tell us what changes you made and parts that you used. I plan on getting one to use as rally and drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekreme1002 View Post
Hey guys,
Any chance someone can post a pic of steering on full lock? I have done a few mods and would like to be able to compare it to the original steering angle but didn't take any photos myself before I started. Too much cutting has been done to go back to the original setup.

For anyone interested I'm attempting a drift setup with this chassis. So far I am overdriving the rear wheels by 25% but also have pulleys on the way to increase it to 50% with the stock belt. I have more info on another forum but if you would like to know more I am happy to share more details here too :-).

Anyway, here is my current full lock. I don't think it's a massive improvement, but it would be nice to be able to compare to stock. Thanks guys!!!
v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #463
Tech Adept

Quote:

They did and won the Corsica Rally in the late ´80s against the Lancias. As far as I remember, BMW rally cars were prepared by Prodrive, the same racing factory that prepared all the winning Subarus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_B%C3%A9guin
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #464
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared View Post
Hey I'm interested. Can you tell us what changes you made and parts that you used. I plan on getting one to use as rally and drift.
Sure

To overdrive: i'm using 16t and 20t 3racing pulleys (stock is 18t:18t). The limitation is the lack of slightly shorter belts (that i can find anyway), and the fact there is little room for larger pulleys at the front (photo below shows the room left around a 20T). I have a 21t on the way which i expect will just fit but at this stage i'm pretty sure 22t will be too big.

I also have a 14t pulley and will use this along with the 21t to get 50% overdrive (1.5 FCD). To aid in the tensioning I have also changed the stock tensioner to an 11t tensioner pulley. A 13t or slightly larger would have been a better choice though. With some tensionning innovations the FCD can probably go a little higher.

Wider Steering Angle: Required a lot of cutting and grinding.... I am using the tamiya aluminium suspension mounts and as you can see removed a fair bit of material from them. However, I changed the setup afterwards and removing as much as I did wasn't really necessary in the end. The photos below should give I better idea of the modding needed.

Other parts used were,
Tamiya steering bridge
Eagle extended arms 3860P15
Eagle extended arms 3860P15-8-LBL
Eagle C-hub 3862-88-LBL
Eagle Knuckle 3861-LBL
Eagle Lower Sus Arms 3469
Eagle Carbon Upper Steering Brace XV01-11-LBL
+ some random shims, washers etc and whichever wide angle universals you like. Although if I did it again i would pick something slightly longer than the 44mm's I have. They seem a little too short.

I could have taken the angle a little further by removing some of the center post with a cut in it and some of the carbon brace but I didn't really think that little bit more in was worth weakening the chassis any further.

Was that too much information? Happy to help if there is anything else you would like to know :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-dsc_0016.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-dsc_0009.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-dsc_0012.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-dsc_0013.jpg  

Last edited by icekreme1002; 01-07-2014 at 09:01 PM.
icekreme1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #465
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Very nice of you to share. Where did you get the 20t and 21t pulley from?

In regard to the axle lenght 46mm might be better. It seems like most drift setup are pushing 200mm. So if you got longer arms then 46mm axle might be better.

So, looks like you are trying to go for a counter steer setup right? What is a good ratio to be when it comes to over driving the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekreme1002 View Post
Sure

To overdrive: i'm using 16t and 20t 3racing pulleys (stock is 18t:18t). The limitation is the lack of slightly shorter belts (that i can find anyway), and the fact there is little room for larger pulleys at the front (photo below shows the room left around a 20T). I have a 21t on the way which i expect will just fit but at this stage i'm pretty sure 22t will be too big.

I also have a 14t pulley and will use this along with the 21t to get 50% overdrive (1.5 FCD). To aid in the tensioning I have also changed the stock tensioner to an 11t tensioner pulley. A 13t or slightly larger would have been a better choice though. With some tensionning innovations the FCD can probably go a little higher.

Wider Steering Angle: Required a lot of cutting and grinding.... I am using the tamiya aluminium suspension mounts and as you can see removed a fair bit of material from them. However, I changed the setup afterwards and removing as much as I did wasn't really necessary in the end. The photos below should give I better idea of the modding needed.

Other parts used were,
Tamiya steering bridge
Eagle extended arms 3860P15
Eagle extended arms 3860P15-8-LBL
Eagle C-hub 3862-88-LBL
Eagle Knuckle 3861-LBL
Eagle Lower Sus Arms 3469
Eagle Carbon Upper Steering Brace XV01-11-LBL
+ some random shims, washers etc and whichever wide angle universals you like. Although if I did it again i would pick something slightly longer than the 44mm's I have. The seems a little too short.

I could have taken the anglr a little further by removing some of the center post with a cut in it and some of the carbon brace but I didn't really think that little bit more in was worth weakening the chassis any further.

Was that too much information? Happy to help if there is anything else you would like to know :-)
v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote