R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #316
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Default

finally got to convert my xv-01t asterion to a rally car! no upgrade for parts since i haven't broken anything yet and ran it only on tarmac. but i'm really itching to run it on some dirt.

while deciding for the body i painted some parts



chose the subaru team arai but went with my own color scheme

bangkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #317
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

That's certainly an... interesting look
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #318
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
That's certainly an... interesting look
yeah, i decided to go for something different. i'm thinking of going for white rims for a better match.

how's your xv-01 doing, metalnut?
bangkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #319
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkay View Post
yeah, i decided to go for something different. i'm thinking of going for white rims for a better match.

how's your xv-01 doing, metalnut?
I'm sad to say the XV has been sitting on the shelf for a little while. I've been focusing on honing my skills at the local offroad track with a buggy and an SCT, as I realized my driving was pretty bad. But.. I just had a few parts come from RCMart and the XV will be making a comeback soon. I'm also going to try turning it into a basic drifter, I have the wheels/tires and body already. Just to scratch up some hardwood floors
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #320
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I'm sad to say the XV has been sitting on the shelf for a little while. I've been focusing on honing my skills at the local offroad track with a buggy and an SCT, as I realized my driving was pretty bad. But.. I just had a few parts come from RCMart and the XV will be making a comeback soon. I'm also going to try turning it into a basic drifter, I have the wheels/tires and body already. Just to scratch up some hardwood floors
that's not so bad. at least you still have parts when you decide to convert it to a drifter. post some pics when you're done!

have fun with the buggies and the SCTs.
bangkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #321
Tech Apprentice
 
bakoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkay View Post
finally got to convert my xv-01t asterion to a rally car! no upgrade for parts since i haven't broken anything yet and ran it only on tarmac. but i'm really itching to run it on some dirt.
Nice!

Did you have to do any modifications, or was it just a matter of switching wheels and body?
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #322
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
Nice!

Did you have to do any modifications, or was it just a matter of switching wheels and body?
Looks to me like just wheels and body. Many 190mm bodies will fit, as long as there is room for the motor up front and the length is in the ballpark. Same way, 26mm TC wheels/tires just bolt right on as well.

I really should take some pictures of my XV in the various looks. Now I have a TODO
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #323
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
Nice!

Did you have to do any modifications, or was it just a matter of switching wheels and body?
metalnut is correct - wheels and body plus the bumper (PN 51502) and urethane foam. at that time i took the picture, my LHS didn't have any foam so i just made one from rubber lying around the house.
bangkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #324
Tech Adept
 
stormridersp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Looks to me like just wheels and body. Many 190mm bodies will fit, as long as there is room for the motor up front and the length is in the ballpark. Same way, 26mm TC wheels/tires just bolt right on as well.

I really should take some pictures of my XV in the various looks. Now I have a TODO
Many but not all unfortunately, since I would love to run one of those low front vintage Porsche bodies. The motor up front is big plus when it comes to handling and fun, but just like real life cars, it limits the front body profile.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #325
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Many but not all unfortunately, since I would love to run one of those low front vintage Porsche bodies. The motor up front is big plus when it comes to handling and fun, but just like real life cars, it limits the front body profile.
Yeah, I wanted a Porsche body as well actually, but sadly that doesn't work. Still, there are a lot of nice options out there. For now I'm running a BMW E30 body and that looks pretty sick.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #326
Tech Adept
 
stormridersp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 106
Default

The picture is up, shouldn't take much longer now!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54514
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #327
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,908
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
The picture is up, shouldn't take much longer now!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54514
This has been the longest I have every waited for stabilizers to be released lol. They announced these in April ad we still don't have them
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #328
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
The picture is up, shouldn't take much longer now!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54514
I'm definitely getting these. It'll be nice to be able to run softer springs and still be able to reduce body roll!
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #329
Tech Regular
 
archerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, AU
Posts: 256
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Are there any good tips in installing the slipper clutch? I installed mine and followed the procedure (leave 3.5mm exposed screw), but the slipper keeps on slipping even on low pile carpet only. I adjusted it a bit to 5mm but when I run it, the locknut got tightened causing the spur gear to lock/bind. I tried to install it twice, same thing happened...

Any common mistakes that a newbie like me can make so that I can look out for it when I'm doing the slipper clutch install? Anybody willing to make a good youtube video about it? Thanks

Last edited by archerwin; 08-17-2013 at 11:45 PM.
archerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #330
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,908
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Remove the slipper entirely and start over. First install back pressure plate, make sure it sits properly on shaft, then disk and spur. Make sure the disk stays inside the groves of spur. Install front disk and pressure plate. Install washer, spring and washer (I think that's the sequence) then lock nut. Turn lock nut till tight, do not over tighten. Back out a full turn and half.

Turn radio and car on. Hold car down with one hand and pull trigger to check slip. If there is no slip, loosen still 1/4 turn. If it slips a lot, tighten 1/4. Then test car on carpet without holding it.

You want the slipper to slip for 2 to 3 seconds when you pull the trigger to full throttle.
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! ::: iluvm4 Electric Off-Road 14 01-16-2014 07:00 PM
Electronics for Tamiya xv 01 highbeam Radio and Electronics 10 12-23-2012 08:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0