R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #286
Tech Rookie

i have the xv-o1t variant and i think it's basically the same except the larger tires (?)

i'm basically running stock except for the sport tuned motor. i'm sorry if i missed this, but what do you guys think are the essential upgrades for this chassis?
bangkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #287
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkay View Post
i have the xv-o1t variant and i think it's basically the same except the larger tires (?)

i'm basically running stock except for the sport tuned motor. i'm sorry if i missed this, but what do you guys think are the essential upgrades for this chassis?
It's been a while, but if I recall correctly the TC variant has other parts that are differently, namely in the suspension/arm area. I think you have more adjustability, but I could be wrong. You also don't have the belt and drivetrain protection, but you don't really need that indoors.

As for upgrades, sway bars would be a big one for me. Other than that just the right tires, tire compound, and go see how it handles Unfortunately I doubt my XV will ever see a race track, but it's loads of fun everywhere else.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #288
Tech Rookie

i think i read somewhere that the suspension/arm area is reversed or something.

gotcha on the sway bar! i'm planning to get block tires and convert it to a rally car. not anytime soon though since i'm having fun with it as is. never been on a track also but been driving it everywhere.

thanks man!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #289
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
It's been a while, but if I recall correctly the TC variant has other parts that are differently, namely in the suspension/arm area. I think you have more adjustability, but I could be wrong. You also don't have the belt and drivetrain protection, but you don't really need that indoors.

As for upgrades, sway bars would be a big one for me. Other than that just the right tires, tire compound, and go see how it handles Unfortunately I doubt my XV will ever see a race track, but it's loads of fun everywhere else.
Bangkay said he had the 'T', not the 'TC'. Converting to a rally car, you'll definitely need the aluminium suspension mounts. I busted the plastic ones nearly every outing, just by landing off jumps, the occasional roll over, etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #290
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Bangkay said he had the 'T', not the 'TC'. Converting to a rally car, you'll definitely need the aluminium suspension mounts. I busted the plastic ones nearly every outing, just by landing off jumps, the occasional roll over, etc.
added on the list. thanks Sith Lord!

i'm going to go do some bashing today! woohoo!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #291
Tech Apprentice

Agreed, the stock suspension mounts are worse than useless. Got the aluminium mounts after having the rearmost mount break on me twice. Both times it broke on the right rear side during traction rolls on flat ground (or maybe the breakage lead to the roll, not easy to tell).
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I switched over to the carbon reinforced plastic suspension mounts and they are holding up quite nicely.

I seem to have successfully minimised the over steer in my car. I am presently running 35wt in rear, with super soft springs (way softer than tamiya red, not sure where I found them) and 1000 wt diff oil.

Rear will come around if you are at full turn, full throttle and let off.. but with mild turns on tarmac its pretty stable
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #293
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
Agreed, the stock suspension mounts are worse than useless. Got the aluminium mounts after having the rearmost mount break on me twice. Both times it broke on the right rear side during traction rolls on flat ground (or maybe the breakage lead to the roll, not easy to tell).
Those alumn mounts are a must, but Im starting to believe that all those plastic suspension parts are meant to be replaced.

The susp towers, spec the front one flex quite a lot, the mounts are worse than useless, and I had on two occasions my rear suspension arms to have their hub shafts to snap out on traction rolls.

The problem with the susp arms tho is tha im afraid that by switching to alumn, it would transfer the energy to the chassis itself causing it to break, eventually.

it would be good to have the main chassis available in CRP, not to say in CF itself for the TC version. theres obviously something wrong w tamiyas plastic parts. they are too soft.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #294
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I switched over to the carbon reinforced plastic suspension mounts and they are holding up quite nicely.

I seem to have successfully minimised the over steer in my car. I am presently running 35wt in rear, with super soft springs (way softer than tamiya red, not sure where I found them) and 1000 wt diff oil.

Rear will come around if you are at full turn, full throttle and let off.. but with mild turns on tarmac its pretty stable
After installing dark lunas sway bars I could minimize oversteering to a minimum, that is, only when wanted. It makes a huge difference on handling, espec on the track. Unfortunately its still only improvised for its not perfect. Thats why Im desperate waiting for the proper official xv01 sway bars. The one I improvised was taken fro the ta05 chassis and tho the front fits like a charm the rear tend to slip back and touch the dogbones/ univ shafts, causing some unwelcome vibrations and friction.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #295
Tech Elite

I've been waiting for the stabiliser bars as well. I had banzai hobby inquire Tamiya Japan for availability, they said its still not available.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #296
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Sway bars would indeed be awesome. I ordered the Tamiya offroad spring set from RCMart, hoping that gives me some more tuning options. I've been running shorter touring car springs on the shocks, but I don't like springs that are too short, it limits what you can do with them. Rather than go buy other random longer springs, I figured I'd give the Tamiya ones a go. Should have them in... two weeks

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #297
Tech Elite

I figured out the springs I'm running, they're the super soft yellow ones from topcad. I bought these springs almost 8 years ago lol. I threw most of them away except the super soft yellow. They're perfect for the XV-01 light rear end. I recently received the XV-01 dirt springs. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Last week I moved to Porto Alegre, Brazil with my wife, we will be here for the next 6 months. I decided to bring one car with me to have something to do hobby wise, the XV-01 figured it will be the most versatile

http://www.topcad.com.hk/product_inf...oducts_id=1326
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #298
Tech Adept

I have quick question: how long is rear wheel axle of rally version of XV? Is it same length as TRF414-type (TB02, TA05, DF03 etc) axle or longer? Thanks
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #299
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I have quick question: how long is rear wheel axle of rally version of XV? Is it same length as TRF414-type (TB02, TA05, DF03 etc) axle or longer? Thanks
I don't know the exact length.. But it is longer because the rear hub is thicker, it's more of an offroad rear hub. Having had the TA04 and DF03, I believe it is longer
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #300
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I figured out the springs I'm running, they're the super soft yellow ones from topcad. I bought these springs almost 8 years ago lol. I threw most of them away except the super soft yellow. They're perfect for the XV-01 light rear end. I recently received the XV-01 dirt springs. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Last week I moved to Porto Alegre, Brazil with my wife, we will be here for the next 6 months. I decided to bring one car with me to have something to do hobby wise, the XV-01 figured it will be the most versatile

http://www.topcad.com.hk/product_inf...oducts_id=1326
Welcome to Brasil man!