R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #271
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Hi guys, Im new to the hobby and about 2 months ago I got my XV-01 PRO, assembled it and finally today, took it to an on-road racetrack for testing. Im running Novak GTB2 esc + Ballistic 17.5T BL motor.

I must say Im a bit disappointed with todays performance. Although the track was filled with nitro guys and 10.5T superstock ultra-hyper carbon fiber chassis, I didnt expect it to be so painfully slow, specially at long straights. It felt like driving a Land Rover Defender in Daytona 500!

I have a few questions, if you have the time to help me, Ill be grateful.

1- Are blinky non-timing 17.5T really that slow?
2- Or am I doing something wrong?

I must mention that I was running with the stock 68T spur and a tamiya 27T mod 06 pinion gear, which, in a matter of fact, was the highest mod 06 pinion gear that I could find.

Im aware that I can go higher, until 29T pinion, but Im afraid that it wont make that much difference. Also, although the weather was hot, after a long 15 minutes run, motor temperature was still mild, topping at 42C.

I noticed from post #9 of this same thread that Raman could lower his XV-01s FDR to 3.7 so I take its possible to retire this odd and rare tamiya mod 06 standard and use more common types of gears. If so I really appreciate any help in finding compatibles pairs of gears (spur and pinion) that will fit, anything that goes from FDR 6.10 til about FDR 4.2

Thanks in advance,
Tom
RallyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #272
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,910
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

The slowness is due to the stock gear ratio. With 17.5 you will need to get down to 3.6 to run competitively. Swap out to either 64P if you plan on being onroad and 48P for rallye, 48p is more rugged

6.0 fdr with 64P gears: 82 spur / 32 pinion
4.0 fdr with 64p gears: 82 spur / 53 pinion
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #273
Tech Adept
 
stormridersp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
The slowness is due to the stock gear ratio. With 17.5 you will need to get down to 3.6 to run competitively. Swap out to either 64P if you plan on being onroad and 48P for rallye, 48p is more rugged

6.0 fdr with 64P gears: 82 spur / 32 pinion
4.0 fdr with 64p gears: 82 spur / 53 pinion
This is nice to hear!
Do you have a link for those?

Btw, I found this in ebay, does anyone knows whats it for exactly?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Active-Alumi...item51a8050294

Cheers
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #274
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,910
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
This is nice to hear!
Do you have a link for those?

Btw, I found this in ebay, does anyone knows whats it for exactly?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Active-Alumi...item51a8050294

Cheers
Spur gears
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...Gears-64-Pitch

pinion gears
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...Gears-64-Pitch

I usually use precision racing systems. You can't go wrong with Robinson racing either, they have been around a long time.
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #275
Tech Adept
 
stormridersp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Spur gears
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...Gears-64-Pitch

pinion gears
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...Gears-64-Pitch

I usually use precision racing systems. You can't go wrong with Robinson racing either, they have been around a long time.
Thank you Raman, I will definitely gonna try it out.

RallyWRC, you also shouldnt expect to be able to fight against the modified 10.5T class with a 17.5 if thats your goal. You can get better speeds by skipping tamiyas wierd gears tho.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #276
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Thank you Raman, I will definitely gonna try it out.

RallyWRC, you also shouldnt expect to be able to fight against the modified 10.5T class with a 17.5 if thats your goal. You can get better speeds by skipping tamiyas wierd gears tho.
Yeah, i just dont wanna be the slow dude on the track, ya know? I needed literally to park my car aside to let the guys pass me in the straights!
RallyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #277
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Spur gears
Thanks for he reply, are you sure they will fit in? That pinion looks a lot bigger, doesnt it?
RallyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #278
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,910
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyWRC View Post
Thanks for he reply, are you sure they will fit in? That pinion looks a lot bigger, doesnt it?
As your pinion gets bigger your spur gets smaller. Sometimes however you may need to enlarge the holes which the motor slides back and forth in.

At the moment, I am running an 82 spur with a 42 pinion I believe. I have even had a 50 + tooth without a problem.
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #279
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,910
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Set Up Sheet

I decided to make an XV-01 PDF Set up sheet. Hopefully some of you will get a use out of it as well..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XV-01SetUpSheet.pdf (51.1 KB, 252 views)
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #280
Tech Adept
 
stormridersp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 106
Default

Tamiya, WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG???? I want my sway bars!!!!!!!!

Grrrrr!

stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #281
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,398
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I decided to make an XV-01 PDF Set up sheet. Hopefully some of you will get a use out of it as well..
Thanks Raman
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #282
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_luna View Post
The motor run very hot almost 90C so I fitted a cooler and fan, this should help!
Hi, could you please let me know the brand and model no of this motor fan?

It's very difficult to find a motor fan can fit XV-01.
yiquanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #283
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,910
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiquanken View Post
Hi, could you please let me know the brand and model no of this motor fan?

It's very difficult to find a motor fan can fit XV-01.
The ideal size would be a 30 x 30 x 6 fan, thats what I am using, and the old clear fan from a Novak GTB.. however you can a 25 x 25 x 10 will work as well
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #284
Tech Regular
 
Mechintosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 329
Default

I have been toying with the idea of picking one of these up to use as a TCS GT3/GT2 car and/or Roar VTA (21.5 Blinky). Is this a viable chassis to do this with? Is the chassis balance to heavy to the front?
__________________
Xray T4-14,T4-15, X1
Pro Mini Truggy Mid Motor Mafia Xfactory
Serpent SRX4, 811 TE-e
Kyosho RB6, MP9e TKi
Mechintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #285
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechintosh View Post
I have been toying with the idea of picking one of these up to use as a TCS GT3/GT2 car and/or Roar VTA (21.5 Blinky). Is this a viable chassis to do this with? Is the chassis balance to heavy to the front?
I'm assuming you'd be buying the TC model, then? It's a front-motor car, so it tends to drive like one. Lots of oversteer on throttle out of the box, but it's definitely tuneable. Having said that, I think there are better choices out there for racing.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! ::: iluvm4 Electric Off-Road 14 01-16-2014 07:00 PM
Electronics for Tamiya xv 01 highbeam Radio and Electronics 10 12-23-2012 08:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:51 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0